• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My approach to modern collecting

10 posts in this topic

I was going through an old want list / new titles list that I had come across from 1991, about a year before I stopped collecting. There were 26 titles on the new issues list. 12 Marvel, 8 DC, 4 Other and 2 mini-series or short run series. Having returned to collecting about 2 years ago, I made a conscious decision to learn from the error of my ways and restrict myself to 7 new titles and no more.

Reasoning for this revolves around the hate I came to feel over for instances buying X-Men, X-Factor, New-Men...........ASM and Spec SPidey in the early 90s anc still having NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON IN THE BOOKS BECAUSE OF THE CROSS OVER STORYLINES THAT RAN THROUGH ALL TITLES.

Now my philosophy is this - I have established 7 new titles that I think are excellent month is and month out. In order to pick up a new title, it has to catch my eye and after no more than 5 issues, it must be better than one of the 7 If it is, then I replace it and stop collecting the lowest titles that I feel it was superior too. Only collecting 7 titles also alows me to pick up stuff like 1602 and JLA vs Avengers for their short runs and not feel like I'm throwing $$$ on new stuff that could go to better old stuff. Anyway thats my new age strategy, which is a direct result of the over abundant [!@#%^&^] that was put out in the early 90s and how the big 2 sought to squeeze every nickel out of the readership and alienated a large portion of collectors which a shoddy product - MAKE EM EARN YOUR BIZ I SAY.....

I was going through an old want list / new titles list that I had come across from 1991, about a year before I stopped collecting. There were 26 titles on the new issues list. 12 Marvel, 8 DC, 4 Other and 2 mini-series or short run series. Having returned to collecting about 2 years ago, I made a conscious decision to learn from the error of my ways and restrict myself to 7 new titles and no more.

Reasoning for this revolves around the hate I came to feel over for instances buying X-Men, X-Factor, New-Men...........ASM and Spec SPidey in the early 90s anc still having NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON IN THE BOOKS BECAUSE OF THE CROSS OVER STORYLINES THAT RAN THROUGH ALL TITLES.

Now my philosophy is this - I have established 7 new titles that I think are excellent month is and month out. In order to pick up a new title, it has to catch my eye and after no more than 5 issues, it must be better than one of the 7 If it is, then I replace it and stop collecting the lowest titles that I feel it was superior too. Only collecting 7 titles also alows me to pick up stuff like 1602 and JLA vs Avengers for their short runs and not feel like I'm throwing $$$ on new stuff that could go to better old stuff. Anyway thats my new age strategy, which is a direct result of the over abundant [!@#%^&^] that was put out in the early 90s and how the big 2 sought to squeeze every nickel out of the readership and alienated a large portion of collectors which a shoddy product - MAKE EM EARN YOUR BIZ I SAY.....

It's too easy to pick up a crapload of new books on Wednesday and at $3 a pop, it adds up quick. I try to review my pull list every couple of months so I don't get into the "Uncanny X-Men: buying it until I die" habit.

My approach to buying new stuff is very similar to yours. I pick up anywhere between 15 and 20 titles a month. I used to buy more but trimmed the list down by dropping limited series from my pull. Ultimate Six, 1602, and JLA/Avengers will be the last I buy. After they are finished, I will pick up any ls's that catch my eye in tpb form. Secret War is a good example.

My approach to ongoing titles is very similar to yours. I will not buy any title that requires me to pick up another ongoing monthly to follow the story line. There is an exception here: the Michaelt Turner arc running through the Superman titles. I enjoy his covers and have become a fan of Talent Caldwell. As far as variant covers go I buy the one I like and ignore the rest. Street Fighter is exempt as I love the book and want all the covers. confused-smiley-013.gif It is my one concession to being a fanboy. Eventually, I will pick my favorite cover from each issue of SF and sell the rest. I am beginning to get annoyed with the 3 or 4 variant covers each month. I had originally thought they would stop around issue 5 but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. mad.gif

My approach to modern collecting is quickly declining. I haven't been all that thrilled with the stories that have come out in the past couple of years. I'll continue to pick up Uncanny X-Men, but only because I'm closing in on a complete set of them cloud9.gif As for everything else... with the stories not being that good the only reason to get them is for speculation and I'm just not that good at it. I'm definitely no Darth. Basically all the money that I save off not buying moderns is getting shifted into SA and GA books. They may not sky rocket in only a few months like hot moderns, but they're kind of like quality blue chip stocks... the rise steadily and over time will make me much more money. If I sell that is. grin.gif

My approach is also very similar.......

I have a small number of permanent monthly picks (Gemstone WDC&S, DD and US) and at the moment I am reading Teen Titans monthly. This leaves me 3 or 4 titles I can switch on and off dependant on how good they are.

My approach to modern collecting is quickly declining. I haven't been all that thrilled with the stories that have come out in the past couple of years. I'll continue to pick up Uncanny X-Men, but only because I'm closing in on a complete set of them

what are you still in need of? not that im selling any of mine...im just curious.

Well I guess my strategy was no real earth shatterer, hahahah. Seems as if there are others who are very selective as well. I remember in the late 80s and early 90s I started listening to the Doors, Led Zep, John Coltrane, CCR, The Who, Beatles Etc, because it was way better than 99% of the new music out there. If only Id mirrored this approach more with my comic purchases as a youth. foreheadslap.gif

what are you still in need of? not that im selling any of mine...im just curious.

Mostly things books that are #121 or older. I have #122 - 441 with only 374, 378, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 missing (mainly because I just can't bring myself to pay the over priced copies my LCS's have). All in all I still have about 70 left that I need. It would be less than that if the people over on the GA forum hadn't pulled my interest into that arena. grin.gif

Buy everything I can for under $20

I wish I could hold to that maxim! But being an Uncanny X-Men fan its just impossible when you want back issues!! Took a while to save up the money to get pretty much all of the New X-Men stuff (#94-present)...but im only missing #94 and I will have that issue one of these days thumbsup2.gif...although I fear it will cost more then $20! 893frustrated.gif