• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Gift Certificates. Why not?

36 posts in this topic

Personally I hate getting gift certificates. I'd prefer to get cash

I totally agree. Whenever I get a GC invariably it's at the place where item X I want is the most expensive. With cash or Vanilla MC that is never an issue.

But only CGC grades CGC comics. There is no item X for a cheaper price.

And if I get a vanilla MC or Visa I would probably not use it for graded comics like my gift giver intended.

Because CGC is a monopoly and they don't need the extra hassle.

I don't think that has anything to do with their decision making. I think you don't have a business development person walking through this payment option, and building out the additional benefits they are missing.

CGC sells advertisement space on their primary site (and this forum). If they used an open-loop gift card, they could encourage these advertisers during the holidays to increase their visibility on the sites, and to include discount campaigns driving more click-throughs to their sites tied to this gift card. This way, it is more than just CGC book submissions.

BENEFITS:

- CGC experiences an uptick in submissions, meaning more revenue. That's a given!

- If CGC charges advertisers outright, then CGC experiences more advertisement revenue due to companies wanting to participate in the open-loop gift card program.

- If CGC charges avertisers by the click (pay per click program), even better as the gift card will encourage potential buyers to click through more frequently. Again, more revenue.

- Advertisers may want to resell the CGC open-loop gift card on their site/stores, leading to CGC potentially making a revenue-share per sale in addition to the other benefits outlined above.

CHALLENGE(S):

- Having the application to manage the amount/remaining amount on a stored value card/gift card (payment acquirers do this all day long).

- Having a CGC-branded stored value card that is recognizable (see above).

Wow! Sounds like a horrible idea. CGC should continue avoiding the use of a holiday gift card program.

:insane:

Even coinless laundromats have figured this out, and use a stored value card that not only works in their washers and dryers, but also vending machines and gaming systems all located in the store. So they make money off their regular business, in addition to revenue share from their partners.

My brother told me that this year he wanted to get me a gift certificate for my comic grading hobby.

He called CGC and spoke with Gemma. (She was very pleasant, as always.)

Anyway, she tells him that they get many calls about this every year, but never have anything to offer.

Why would any business pass up such a great revenue stream? (shrug)

It is nothing but free money now to the business and a certain percentage of people forget and never redeem them. It could only be good for CGC as I see it.

Who here would like to see CGC start up a gift certificate program?

I know I would.

Chime in and maybe we could make this a reality someday.

Several weeks ago I posted this question in "Ask CGC" forum. It was something I have been thinking about since last year (got crappy gifts from some people). There hasn't been a response yet but I'm hopeful.

I think its a great idea too. Just make it simple. One grading gift cert sells for the price of one expensive GA book. That would cover anyone who wants to use it for any lesser book too. No express. Just a regular straight up comic book grading. They might even make a little money on it, compared to folks who use the regular tier system of submissions

I think they don't offer gift cards because they would have to slab them so we know we aren't getting restored gift cards lol

That would be cool tho, a slabbed certificate good for 1 slab! :)

I know my family would have gotten me some certs if they were available to be put on my list.

My brother told me that this year he wanted to get me a gift certificate for my comic grading hobby.

He called CGC and spoke with Gemma. (She was very pleasant, as always.)

Anyway, she tells him that they get many calls about this every year, but never have anything to offer.

Why would any business pass up such a great revenue stream? (shrug)

It is nothing but free money now to the business and a certain percentage of people forget and never redeem them. It could only be good for CGC as I see it.

Who here would like to see CGC start up a gift certificate program?

I know I would.

Chime in and maybe we could make this a reality someday.

Several weeks ago I posted this question in "Ask CGC" forum. It was something I have been thinking about since last year (got crappy gifts from some people). There hasn't been a response yet but I'm hopeful.

The Ask CGC Forum is where good questions disappear into the abyss.

I almost posted there, but most of my post to the Ask CGC section never see the light of day.

I figured maybe they would listen if everybody started telling them they should offer gift certificates here in the Comics General section.

They really have nothing to lose but more money.

So it's been a decade...You're telling me someone at CGC couldn't figure out a way to implement a gift card program?  Where are the Gift Cards?  I'm getting sick and tired of having to explain to people what I do with their money that they give me.  lol  

-RKSM

Well. I guess my transition into Dementia is going to be smooth.  I started reading this thread, thought to myself CGC gift cards make sense and then I saw it, a post in this very thread I made ten years ago saying that same thing.  Only then did I realize this was a ten year old thread.   doh!