• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bendis On Avengers

29 posts in this topic

****while current Captain America writer Robert Morales has confirmed that he will be leaving the series with issue #28, which ships in June *****

I hope to Christ he takes Bachalo with him!! 893censored-thumb.gif

*****Mark Millar and Terry Dodson's new Spider-Man series in April*****

It's almost time to start reading spidey again??!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

*****The late 2004 relaunch will be the fourth start for the series*****

4th tries the charm? juggle.gif

This is SO pathetic!! C'mon Joe Q!! knock this [!@#%^&^] off, leave on the big numbers (most of us CAN count past 100) and just give us some good stories!!! I go to work to deal with idiotic marketing [!@#%^&^], don't need to read about from you too! sign-rantpost.gif

And to think, I was looking forward to the Avengers returning to it's original numbering with issue #500. Bendis will do a good job, but I'm not to pleased to hear that they will be cancelling and relaunching Avengers again.

As for the changes with Cap they were definitely necessary, but I'll reserve comment until the new team is announced. Could go from bad to worse.

And Iron Man... after the last issue I don't know what to think. Definitely needs a higher profile artist if they want to see any kind of upsurge in sales.

Kev

The re-launch is disappointing at best. I've never quite understood the concept of re-launching something that is currently running. Now if they had been gone for a few years sure... but come on. It pissed me off when they did it to wolverine as well. sumo.gif

The re-launch is disappointing at best. I've never quite understood the concept of re-launching something that is currently running. Now if they had been gone for a few years sure... but come on. It pissed me off when they did it to wolverine as well. sumo.gif

I would say it's all a ploy to lure specs back to the fold... historically, what's held value better/been worth more: A "first issue" or a 440th issue?

I would say it's all a ploy to lure specs back to the fold... historically, what's held value better/been worth more: A "first issue" or a 440th issue?

Obviously the last two times they used this didn't work....

Both Avengers #1s (Vols 2 and 3) can be found in the bargain bins....

Marvel is sending mixed hypocritical signals here. On one side they are returning to the old numbering and saying what a mistake the restart was and on the other they talk of restarting Avengers.

It's bad enough they have thrown continuity out the window. Now we're back to "hey another #1" days.... 893frustrated.gif

Jim

Not to be crash oriented here... but that's exactly what became a symptom of the 90s crash... product without quality, trying to turn a quick buck on new #1s and ignoring what made the comics themselves interesting: good stories.

You don't have to be a slave to continuity, but today there's nothing cohesive about the stories or the world where the characters live.

Bendis on Avengers is an ok move. I'm not sure he's suited for the book. And the Avengers is an action book... not a talky let's cram a dozen word balloons in kind of book. Although the characters have always had internal conflict and interesting team dynamics, I'm afraid Bendis is going to turn the Avengers into a soap opera short on action. Let's go back Busiek, or some other writer who actually understands the core of what makes the Avengers a great book.

Remember the recent Busiek/Perez Avengers v. Ultron story? that was classic Avengers material, especially for stuff since the relaunch.

And the Avengers is an action book... not a talky let's cram a dozen word balloons in kind of book.

That's a perfect fit for Bendis. Have your ever "read" USM? You would be lucky to find a dozen word balloons in an entire issue. insane.gif

Neither.

It would be the issue with Wasp asking She Hulk to help Oil her wings

yeah, but nothing happens in USM. If you read one trade you feel like maybe you read one comic. Daredevil, USM they all end up like they're talking books. Every issue of USM I've read (and I've read the first 6 trades) are good when you can read 6 issues at once... and it's because so little happens in each actual issue.

yeah, but nothing happens in USM. If you read one trade you feel like maybe you read one comic. Daredevil, USM they all end up like they're talking books. Every issue of USM I've read (and I've read the first 6 trades) are good when you can read 6 issues at once... and it's because so little happens in each actual issue.

Bendis made fun of himself for that in the current USM letters page. He said that given his story pacing, if he'd "Ultimate-ized" his own life story, by this issue he'd still be in preschool.

In honor of what fans got when Marvel first saw fit to "revamp" the Avengers....remember to keep scrooling down......

enchant.jpg

Wasn't a good idea then...isn't a good one now IMO. At least it put a new spin on a "step up" in quality..... insane.gif

Jim

In honor of what fans got when Marvel first saw fit to "revamp" the Avengers....remember to keep scrooling down......

enchant.jpg

Wasn't a good idea then...isn't a good one now IMO. At least it put a new spin on a "step up" in quality..... insane.gif

Jim

Oh god! WTF is that thing? Whose fault is that art??

enchant.jpg

Jim

Oh god! WTF is that thing? Whose fault is that art??

Leifeld, no?

She's thirty seven feet tall. I've heard of "Heroic Proportions." Those are "Stiltman Proportions."

In other news....

Captain America is also being cancelled as a Marvel Knights book and will be relaunched as a Marvel Universe title. This shouldn't affect the other MU Cap book.

Thor is also coming to an end as Dan Jurgens is leaving the title and wrapping up the Thor, King of Asgard storyline. Bendis' collaborator on Powers, Michael Avon Oeming has been tapped to write the new Thor title. It shouldn't be a stretch either, considering he tackled the norse myths in his creator-owned Hammer of the Gods series.

Since Iron Man is getting a creative team it's likely that it too will be cancelled and relaunched.

Hawkeye is being cancelled at issue #8.

Kev