• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want to crack my 1st slab...

18 posts in this topic

First, you need another person - a second party as it were...

Then, one of you takes the front portion of the casing, the other grips the back portion... Proceed as you would with any wishbone, not forgetting to keep your wish to yourself or risk it not coming true...

so what's the proper way of doing it?

Getting the well out of the hard plastic is actually very easy. A flat screwdriver or butter knife will do. Slide the tool down the sides and gently twist to split the slab. Cutting the well open while not damaging the comic is a lot more difficult. I've used both a sharp knife and a pair of scissors to open three of the four sides before sliding the book out. Good luck. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You can call CGC at the number printed on the slab for some expert instructions. My comment on the inner well is, don't use any tools at all. The sealing (heat-seal?) is pretty weak, as I recall I could pull it apart at the seam with my fingers. Minimizes any risk of damage that way.

Zonker

4 slabs bought = 4 slabs cracked!

sign-funnypost.gif

Do like I did, and let one fall onto your head while getting it down from the closet. Best way is to let the corner of the slab hit you square in the forehead.

tonofbricks.gif

And hey... be sure to mail that label in to cgc if you decide to reslab it. 5$ off your slabbing fee.

Or you could mail it in and try to help keep the census current.

And hey... be sure to mail that label in to cgc if you decide to reslab it. 5$ off your slabbing fee.

Or you could mail it in and try to help keep the census current.

I'm not going to reslab it. I just want to read it. It's only an Astonishing Tales 2 CGC 8.0 so it would cost me more to have the book regraded than the book is even worth.

My comment on the inner well is, don't use any tools at all. The sealing (heat-seal?) is pretty weak, as I recall I could pull it apart at the seam with my fingers.

They've actually gotten a lot tougher to peel apart lately, Zonker. I've had to take scissors to a number of them recently! 893whatthe.gif

4 slabs bought = 4 slabs cracked!

thumbsup2.gif 25 slabs owned = (?) 24 slabs cracked! juggle.gif

Alan