• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where's the Sense of Community?

560 posts in this topic

I guess looking at some of the people getting strikes lately, a lack of etiquette and respect for those whom we disagree with, and bad form is really getting on my nerves and leaving me with a sense of disappointment today with the forums.

I've come to these boards as a sort of refuge at times to take a break from work--either home, teaching, or while working on my MA and then Ph.D. I've made some friends, enjoyed some friendly back-and-forth discussions, and learned a lot. Events like our Holiday Secret Santa, the fundraisers, the occasional friendly letter / package from friends, and watching the group gather around and looking out for one another has really made me value the boards. And maybe I'm just tired lately, but I feel like there's been a lot more friction lately. I'm not saying we all need to get all wonderfully, but I wish I'd see a bit more friendliness. I get it--we should exercise some judiciousness and caution with new sellers... but do we need to beat the tar out of 'em if they miss a guideline? How about a friendly PM over a flaming? If I was a newb now, I don't know that I'd see the incentive to keep coming back like I did 3 1/2 years ago.

No FDQ exit guys 'n gals. Just disappointed.

:sorry:

Going to go play with the boy now.

In truth...it used to be a lot worse. Really.

The boards will go through times like these, just as you do in the real world with friends, relatives and colleagues.

And total strangers who you off no end. :insane:

True Dat!!

I agree with the OP. The level of hostility here toward others who either dont approach comics from their viewpoint or disapprove of their actions involving comics is ridiculous lately. I just dont understand why the keep letting the same ones back. Ban one or two and the level will come way down quick. Make an example of one of them for once.

Stay out of Comics General as much as possible & you'll have a reawakening.
Or just have conversations with me. Seriously though Comics General is not really the "place to be" for friendly folks. Try GA forum.

Or Thor 337 CGC 9.8 sales threads. Those go really smooth!

:gossip: And what incredible results. (worship)

I know of other forums where everything is very friendly and the people only go on to talk about comics and comic related stuff.

On here I blame all the dodgy dealers, stupid buyers, money mad flippers, thieves and con-men, and those who only come here because they like the sound of their own voice, or the cut of their own text.

And the intolerant.

But they are the minority.

To the rest :foryou:

Never forget as well that this site produced the greatest example of community spirit that I have ever seen, online or in the real world.

Or just have conversations with me. Seriously though Comics General is not really the "place to be" for friendly folks. Try GA forum.

I don't think you can really lay all of the blame at CG. The recent 'hostility' came in the WC and the Modern Section.

Or Thor 337 CGC 9.8 sales threads. Those go really smooth!

:gossip: And what incredible results. (worship)

I offer less and less here. I have some sweet sweet books coming back from CGC, they will go on C-Link and Ebay. I essentially give up selling here.

Wisdom of the Ages.

Comics General is such a downer sometimes, and a refuge for the worst among us.

Stay to the Ages Forums, the Marketplace, the Grading Forum, etc. if you want to skip the Drama.

This place is a community in every sense of the word. A community has never been a homogeneous group of like minded individuals. You have a representation of every aspect of the outside world here. Comic books drew us together, but that's where most similarities end.

You have the nosy neighbor. The crotchety old man who won't let you walk across his lawn. The nice lady who bakes cookies. A long lost brother. The busy body who can't keep her mouth shut. The thug with a chip on his shoulder.The guy who will mow your lawn when your mower is broken. The guy who will screw your wife. The class clown. The friends at a Super Bowl party. The fair weather friend. The best friend you didn't know you had until the chips were down. The support group when things seem to be at the worst. The person you decide life is just too short to deal with.

It is a community... and with every community; you have to decide with whom and how you want to spend your time. Tempers flare. Feelings are hurt. Folks apologize. In the end, as a good friend always reminds me, water will find its own level.