• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please don't ship art in tubes

18 posts in this topic

rolledart.jpg

Four pages in a tube doh!

This is 30 year old art and has some glued on panels, title etc, and I'm a bit nonplussed as my first tentative unrolling caused some of these elements to start to come away from the board. I'll carefully smooth it out under something large and heavy later.

I'm not calling out the seller because I like them, but I'll give them a friendly note of advice!

Is there anything I should know when flattening art?

rolledart.jpg

Four pages in a tube doh!

This is 30 year old art and has some glued on panels, title etc, and I'm a bit nonplussed as my first tentative unrolling caused some of these elements to start to come away from the board. I'll carefully smooth it out under something large and heavy later.

I'm not calling out the seller because I like them, but I'll give them a friendly note of advice!

Is there anything I should know when flattening art?

:o

its happened to me before (usually from european collectors -- not calling them out!)...usually a couple weeks in a heavily packed itoya, or flattened "upside-down" (put the art facing yr desk with the encylcopedia brittanica on the back) does the trick...you might have to repaste the word bubbles, etc is the worst damage...

once someone asked "do you want me to send them flat or rolled?" -- FLAT PLEASE!!!

i think the rolled is the old school way they did it back during the plague...i think that's what vellum was originally used for (but now, for tracing paper).

Rolling art is a step away from just folding it in half... and oddly enough, sometimes when I've been sent artwork thrown in a soft bubble wrap type envelope with no sturdy support, I've received art with creases.

Artwork should be treated like fragile glass.

It should be packed with materials that are thick and resilient to bending and oversized with at least 1" surrounding the artwork, to avoid any "impact" damages during deliery/handling to the corners and edges.

Especially today in the winter during the holidays, artwork should always be wrapped in plastic (not garbage bags or shopping bags, but hopefully 3 mil collector bags) to avoid any surface damages (dirt or friction that may occur during shipment) as well as any moisture damages if the parcel is exposed to any weather/climate conditions.

For rolled artwork, which I've received from a Red Sonja cover artist who resides overseas, luckily, the paper was thin and it was modern, so no stats/paste-ups nor permanent bend marks from thick paper rolling as evident. I just put the art in a plastic collectors bag, then placed it on an even hard surface (between 2 USPS priority mail boxes flat is fine) and stacked heavybooks on top for a week to get it to conform back to it's original flat state.

I had art sent to me rolled up in a paper bag. Seriously. I had tried to file a paypal claim but I was too late. :( He tried to blame the post office for mishandling the art. It still irks me to this day. Thanks for bringing back old memories! :mad:

Yowzaa! Unacceptable.

Anyone that sells should always package items (coics or art) in a manner that they would deem acceptable if they were the one receiving the item(s).

Would you be satisfied if you rec'd a piece of art in a tube? No, then don't send it that way.

Would you be satisfied if you rec'd a comic book in a padded envelope with no cardboard? No, then don't send it that way.

Simple but, apparently, not easy. :makepoint:

Matt Nelson restores art, and can flatten them out for you. Shoot him an email and send the pictures for his advice. He does very nice work.

Matt restored a very yellowed Sugar & Spike page for me. Very easy to work with and for me conveniently located to our US HQ in Plano which I visit regularly - no shipping at all. :)

Here are the links:

Before

After

I bought art directly from a well known artist on this board fairly recently and it came ROLLED as well ! Unbelieveable. DO NOT ROLL ART!

I put it under some heavy books for a month and they mostly flattened back out, but hellooooooooooooooooooooo. The first rule of Fight Club is don't roll the art!