• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Crash Thread

53 posts in this topic

As for the best band...Zep was my first album bought and I grew up with them but in all honesty except for Bonzo's amazing drum skills and techniques they haven't aged well and certainly can't be held in the same light as The Clash, Beatles, Radiohead etc etc.

I was a punk.......big time..........had safety pins through my ear and lip, razor blade accessories, clothes with holes (all bought from our equivalent of Oxfam). Even now I will crank up the volume and play Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks, Tubes, Psychadelic Furs, Tubeway Army, 666, Television etc etc etc cloud9.gif

As an old punk I salute you - nearly all of those bands you list still cut the mustard, and I still play most of them. I discovered my beloved MC5 through the Damned. I think you meant "999" though, and not "666". That's the only band out of that lot who I didn't like.

Sorry, but I think Zep's music is mostly timeless (some of it has dated a little - I'm not a big fan of Stairway and the more folky stuff, like Going To California and That's The Way etc.) IMO they're up there with the best.

999 it is. foreheadslap.gif Actually I am a closet Satanist.

I still listen to Physical.....In my time of dying is the best drum song ever and then of course there is Kashmir.

I still subscribe to Uncut, Mojo, Record Collector and Q and I have noticed that as the years have gone by that Physical is the only one that still makes the top 100 of all time.

MC5 is a good choice as an avatar....an album ahead of its' time. thumbsup2.gif

I was a punk.......big time..........had safety pins through my ear and lip

ouch!

You had to be careful when you got into a fight or they would just grab the chain linking ear to lip and just pull. tonofbricks.gif

You had to be careful when you got into a fight or they would just grab the chain linking ear to lip and just pull

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif double ouch!!

I still listen to Physical.....In my time of dying is the best drum song ever and then of course there is Kashmir.

Kashmir is my all time favorite song! thumbsup2.gif And the rendition of it on the DVD is excellent! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree with Chromium - the early Ants stuff was pretty good.

I remember almost getting a beating when my buddies found a copy of Kings of the Wild Frontier in my room, back then we only listened to NWoBHM and dressed the part (when out mothers weren't looking) 893blahblah.gif

NWoBHM!!! Wow, I haven't heard that term in years! Takes me back to the days of Saxon, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard (before they sold out), Judas Priest, Motorhead. Metal boys rool okay! Now I want to go dig into my boxes and pull out some old issues of Kerrang.

The DVD was awesome!! I still cant believe it only cost $25 bucks!! I wouldve paid twice that..(shhh, dont tell Target! gossip.gif) I marvelled at Bonzo's speed and strength on his drum solo and Plants vocals were incredible! And of course we all know Page can play!! thumbsup2.gif Jones didnt show up much on the DVD but it wouldnt have been the same band without him! I was just happy when they released it, I was getting sick of wearing out my The Song Remains the Same tape! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Led Zep are definitely one of the greatest of all time, and the DVD really reinforces that, although I would have to admit a bias towards Zeppelin in their early days over later Zeppelin, if for no other reason than that Plant couldn't hit the high notes anymore. What really blew me away about the DVD was the quality and clarity of the pictures and sound. One of the best purchases I've made in a long time. thumbsup2.gif

Even now I will crank up the volume and play Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks, Tubes, Psychadelic Furs, Tubeway Army, 666, Television etc etc etc cloud9.gif

Don't forget Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anti-Nowhere League, Cure, the Jam, and so many other great bands. I can't believe in this whole thread that no one has mentioned Sex Pistols yet! Seeing as you're in Oz, were you into Jimmy Barnes/Cold Chisel at all? I heard he had some really sick live shows in the late 70s/early 80s.

Kashmir is my all time favorite song! thumbsup2.gif And the rendition of it on the DVD is excellent! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's up there, no question.....I also thought the version of In my Time Of Dying (at Earls Court in '75) was unbelievable. Also Black Dog (Madison Square Garden), Whole Lotta Love (Knebworth), and What Is and Should Never Be (Albert Hall) showed why they were unbeatable.

Even now I will crank up the volume and play Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks, Tubes, Psychadelic Furs, Tubeway Army, 666, Television etc etc etc cloud9.gif

Don't forget Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anti-Nowhere League, Cure, the Jam, and so many other great bands. I can't believe in this whole thread that no one has mentioned Sex Pistols yet! Seeing as you're in Oz, were you into Jimmy Barnes/Cold Chisel at all? I heard he had some really sick live shows in the late 70s/early 80s.

Never heard of Jimmy Barnes. Most of those bands were obviously very important and still listenable! Glad no-one mentioned Sham 69, however. Urgh.

Never heard of Jimmy Barnes. Most of those bands were obviously very important and still listenable! Glad no-one mentioned Sham 69, however. Urgh.

Jimmy Barnes is an Aussie thing, I figured Mushroom might know or have an opinion of him as I believe he's in Oz.

Great minds think alike, I couldn't stand Sham 69 either!

Forgot the Stranglers! Was so inspired by this thread I broke out a bunch of CDs last night. Hadn't listened to Rattus Norvegicus in years. What great bass lines and keyboards!