• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Crash Thread

53 posts in this topic

acclaim.gif Thanks Doc. Glad to see that there are Clash fans across the pond.

Well, actually I got turned on to them when I lived in Cambridge back in '81. The Sex Pistols, The Clash, the whole "punk" scene was pretty big at that time, and even...ugh...Adam Ant!! 893whatthe.gif

bcd-dirk.jpg

Hey Adam & the Ants were cool !!

I loved the earlier stuff like Dirk wears white sox, whip in my valise and Deutscher Girls, and the album 'Kings of the Wild Frontier' was a landmark...

Too bad all the following albums sucked the big one sign-rantpost.gif

I agree with Chromium - the early Ants stuff was pretty good.

I remember almost getting a beating when my buddies found a copy of Kings of the Wild Frontier in my room, back then we only listened to NWoBHM and dressed the part (when out mothers weren't looking) 893blahblah.gif

So Doc, any pictures of you circa 1981, in punk garb? Are we talking Cambridge England or Cambridge Mass, btw?

England...I was only 13 at the time, so I didn't have to have a fashion identity yet! 27_laughing.gif

No punk garb for me, but I have posted pics here of English reprints of old Marvel Comics I picked up at the market in downtown Cambridge, including Hulk 181 (with new cover art)!

So Doc, any pictures of you circa 1981, in punk garb? Are we talking Cambridge England or Cambridge Mass, btw?

England...I was only 13 at the time, so I didn't have to have a fashion identity yet! 27_laughing.gif

No punk garb for me, but I have posted pics here of English reprints of old Marvel Comics I picked up at the market in downtown Cambridge, including Hulk 181 (with new cover art)!

I keep on forgetting how old I am (I assumed you were my age)...... anyway, Cambridge is beautiful, so you ended up in a cool place.

Wouldn't mind seeing this British Hulk 181 of yours (ironically I've never seen it, myself).

sumo.gifthumbsup2.gif ZEPPELIN RULES, MAN!!!! thumbsup2.gifsumo.gif

The DVD was awesome!! I still cant believe it only cost $25 bucks!! I wouldve paid twice that..(shhh, dont tell Target! gossip.gif) I marvelled at Bonzo's speed and strength on his drum solo and Plants vocals were incredible! And of course we all know Page can play!! thumbsup2.gif Jones didnt show up much on the DVD but it wouldnt have been the same band without him! I was just happy when they released it, I was getting sick of wearing out my The Song Remains the Same tape! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Their musicianship was unsurpassed, and that DVD is probably the only music DVD made which I consider value for money, apart perhaps from Spinal Tap, which is obviously a different kettle of fish. The tightest band of them all. (God I'm a fanboy.)

And Bonzo was better than Keith Moon. Rock's best drummer.

Interesting factoid: "Whole Lotta Love" was (and is) used as the theme tune for the most popular and longest lived pop program on British T.V. (Top Of The Pops). But Zep never appeared on it as they never released any singles in the U.K.

Damn right. In all honesty, when I got that DVD they released recently, I realized that Zep did it first, and best. No - one comes close. The band of the '70s, and they never even appeared on T.V.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Wrong.

They appeared on top of the pops in england.

Damn right. In all honesty, when I got that DVD they released recently, I realized that Zep did it first, and best. No - one comes close. The band of the '70s, and they never even appeared on T.V.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Wrong.

They appeared on top of the pops in england.

NO!!!! They didn't. I'll bet the farm on that one.

Their musicianship was unsurpassed, and that DVD is probably the only music DVD made which I consider value for money, apart perhaps from Spinal Tap, which is obviously a different kettle of fish. The tightest band of them all. (God I'm a fanboy.)

And Bonzo was better than Keith Moon. Rock's best drummer.

Interesting factoid: "Whole Lotta Love" was (and is) used as the theme tune for the most popular and longest lived pop program on British T.V. (Top Of The Pops). But Zep never appeared on it as they never released any singles in the U.K.

Its cool that the pop program uses the song. Where I live, there are a number of radio stations (ranging from Classic Rock to Alternative) that still play their song list and even have "Zep Set"s where they play a set of Zep classics. Its amazing that they still continue to thrive even after 20+ years of being disbanded! thumbsup2.gif

Actually, to be 100% nerdy about this, the DVD itself contains the only T.V. performances they did (for Danish and French T.V., in 1969). In the liner notes that go with the DVD it states that the sterile experience of playing in a T.V. studio made Zep dispense with any further appearances on any television show anywhere, ever again (apart from that Albert Hall gig that takes up most of the first disc).

As for the best band...Zep was my first album bought and I grew up with them but in all honesty except for Bonzo's amazing drum skills and techniques they haven't aged well and certainly can't be held in the same light as The Clash, Beatles, Radiohead etc etc.

I was a punk.......big time..........had safety pins through my ear and lip, razor blade accessories, clothes with holes (all bought from our equivalent of Oxfam). Even now I will crank up the volume and play Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks, Tubes, Psychadelic Furs, Tubeway Army, 666, Television etc etc etc cloud9.gif

Actually, to be 100% nerdy about this, the DVD itself contains the only T.V. performances they did (for Danish and French T.V., in 1969). In the liner notes that go with the DVD it states that the sterile experience of playing in a T.V. studio made Zep dispense with any further appearances on any television show anywhere, ever again (apart from that Albert Hall gig that takes up most of the first disc).

Sorry...obviously my memory is going. They did the appearance when they got to Europe (same time period though). Obviously before Baron Von Zeppelin's wife tried to stop them using the Zep name.

As for the best band...Zep was my first album bought and I grew up with them but in all honesty except for Bonzo's amazing drum skills and techniques they haven't aged well and certainly can't be held in the same light as The Clash, Beatles, Radiohead etc etc.

I was a punk.......big time..........had safety pins through my ear and lip, razor blade accessories, clothes with holes (all bought from our equivalent of Oxfam). Even now I will crank up the volume and play Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks, Tubes, Psychadelic Furs, Tubeway Army, 666, Television etc etc etc cloud9.gif

As an old punk I salute you - nearly all of those bands you list still cut the mustard, and I still play most of them. I discovered my beloved MC5 through the Damned. I think you meant "999" though, and not "666". That's the only band out of that lot who I didn't like.

Sorry, but I think Zep's music is mostly timeless (some of it has dated a little - I'm not a big fan of Stairway and the more folky stuff, like Going To California and That's The Way etc.) IMO they're up there with the best.

I keep on forgetting how old I am (I assumed you were my age)...... anyway, Cambridge is beautiful, so you ended up in a cool place.

Wouldn't mind seeing this British Hulk 181 of yours (ironically I've never seen it, myself).

"Old" is a state of mind, independent of your temporal affiliation!! gossip.gif

Yeah, been back to Cambridge a couple times since then...a nice punt along the river Cam on a sunny, summer day can't be beat. Here's the Hulk, like most of my books purchased as a youngster, this one was obviously bought second-hand and condition was really of no concern! thumbsup2.gif

hulk181var.jpg

I was a punk.......big time..........had safety pins through my ear and lip

ouch!