• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO FAKE A CGC-SLABBED BOOK?

136 posts in this topic

That being said, this thread is in danger of becoming a "how to" guide for the bad guys.

+1

There's a lot of good information in this thread and a topic worth discussing but hopefully no one with bad intentions is reading this thread and getting ideas. It might be best for everyone if some of the posts in this thread "disappeared" hm

Hi All:

Thanks to my returned PLODs on books promised on ebay to be resto-free, I've concentrated on buying 3rd party-slabbed books. May I assume that the book in the slab is indeed the book that was graded? That is, is it possible to fake a slabbed book - say, put a 5.0 book in a slab with a 6.0 blue label? Thanks.

:cloud9:

CGC is golden. You can't slip a thing through them doh! . Well, unless they say you can't :golfclap: .

He who has the gold, makes the rules? :baiting:

:angel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TALES-SUSPENSE-57-CGC-9-0-1ST-HAWKEYE-ORIGIN-/150533003934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c775a9e

it cant possibly be a restored book right (shrug) tell me that this is the one book that he is being honest about

I've never heard any complaints about robojo failing to ship a book or

tampering with a slab. I believe you can bid on his CGC graded books without

fear of being screwed but I will never support a seller with his history.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TALES-SUSPENSE-57-CGC-9-0-1ST-HAWKEYE-ORIGIN-/150533003934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c775a9e

it cant possibly be a restored book right (shrug) tell me that this is the one book that he is being honest about

I've never heard any complaints about robojo failing to ship a book or

tampering with a slab. I believe you can bid on his CGC graded books without

fear of being screwed but I will never support a seller with his history.

well i wouldnt support him to begin with after hearing some of the stories and the second thing is why risk it.

There's a lot of good information in this thread and a topic worth discussing but hopefully no one with bad intentions is reading this thread and getting ideas.

lol

That's like starting a thread on trimming and then saying Ewert is going to use it for evil.

Heritage owns part of CGC???

Jim Halperin is a 25% share-holder in CGC.

He's also the co-Chairman of Heritage Auction Galleries.

Does he own Lewis Wayne Galleries too?

Yes.

And what is his involvement in Classics inc fine sir? :devil:

Yes.

Nothing, as far as I'm aware.

Yes.

hm??? I must have misread something somewhere.

Yes.

Classics Inc. is Matt Nelson. I think he works with, but not for clients that include Halperin.

Yes.

Classics Inc. is Matt Nelson. I think he works with, but not for clients that include Halperin.

Matt Nelson is a big advocate for completely disclosing restoration work. I wouldn't include his name in any speculating of scrupulous behavior.

It would completely clash with his business model of honesty and disclosure help lead to appreciation of restored comics.

Not that I think you are, but some people read posts and get the wrong idea.

From the description it looks to be a consigned book.

Even when he sells blue label books(that are not consigned), they are probably returns from people that had them graded a wee bit below his highly optimistic and photoshopped listings.

Yes.

Didn't Matt work directly for Heritage, picking out the weak grades/pressables/upgradables?

Yes.

Matt Nelson is a big advocate for completely disclosing restoration work. I wouldn't include his name in any speculating of scrupulous behavior.

lol Yeah, I wouldn't accuse him of any scrupulous behavior either. That'd be like saying he's never shill bid his own auctions :insane:

I've probably cracked about a hundred slabs - I still don't see how this could be done consistently, nor how it could be done "without all that much effort"? :shrug:

But even so, there are plenty of "older model" slabs out there where dexterous individuals can easily switch the labels.

This has happened many times, and some have even gone so far as to print fake labels up - I posted about the infamous Hulk 181 scam and have seen several just like that. It's not even worth it to bring these up anymore.

True, but this is the exception and not the rule.

There are less and less old slabs every day and the possibility of removing an inner well from an outer well and then remove the label from another inner well and swapping it with another on a newer slabbed book is next to nil.

You have more chance of getting ripped off by buying raw off eBay than you do buying a CGC graded book, it's simple as that.

The risk of buying a fraudulent CGC graded book is almost 0.

Eliminate fraudulent sellers like Robojo33 who have a history of trying to manipulate everything in sight and you are doing even better.

Robojo33 is a suspect seller?? I'm shocked. :o