• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO FAKE A CGC-SLABBED BOOK?

136 posts in this topic

How can you accurately grade a book that`s in a slab (authentic or otherwise)? I`m assuming that any scammer is not stupid enough to do something as obvious as putting a 1.5 book in a 9.4 slab.

Some of the scams posted years ago were sellers putting high-grade restored/qualified books into Universal CGC slabs (maroons buying these books on the same account) - that works perfectly since these were both graded CGC 9.X but one is restored and worth 1/10 of the original book.

The Census even confirms the book's identity, since the scammer then shreds the PLOD/GLOD and resubmits the Universal 9.4 book for a fresh new label - rinse and repeat.

This has been confirmed with multiple copies of CGC 9.X Hulk 181's, one of which even had a hand-printed label (he must have ripped the original?). Right now people are proudly displaying their CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 in the Registry when it's really a GLOD 9.4 with no MVS.

How can you accurately grade a book that`s in a slab (authentic or otherwise)? I`m assuming that any scammer is not stupid enough to do something as obvious as putting a 1.5 book in a 9.4 slab.

Some of the scams posted years ago were sellers putting high-grade restored/qualified books into Universal CGC slabs (maroons buying these books on the same account) - that works perfectly since these were both graded CGC 9.X but one is restored and worth 1/10 of the original book.

The Census even confirms the book's identity, since the scammer then shreds the PLOD/GLOD and resubmits the Universal 9.4 book for a fresh new label - rinse and repeat.

This has been confirmed with multiple copies of CGC 9.X Hulk 181's, one of which even had a hand-printed label (he must have ripped the original?). Right now people are proudly displaying their CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 in the Registry when it's really a GLOD 9.4 with no MVS.

Are you saying they send the swapped book into CGC for reholdering and have gotten a new slab with the "upgraded" label in it? I can't imagine CGC not doing a cursory check when reholdering a $200+ book even if it is just a page count and MVS stamp check?

Are you saying they send the swapped book into CGC for reholdering and have gotten a new slab with the "upgraded" label in it?

doh!

pescilethal1.jpg

1) Seller buys/owns Hulk 181 CGC 9.X Universal

2) Seller buys/owns Hulk 181 CGC 9.X Qualified or Restored

3) Seller switches the label from 1) (breaks slab) to Book 2) (physical switch)

4) Seller lists Book 2) with Book 1) Universal label for big bucks.

5) Seller submits now-unslabbed Book 1) to CGC and gets brand new Universal label and serial number.

6) The book is now.. lauuuundered!

That way all the CGC serial numbers match and the only discrepancy is a for a destroyed-and-never-seen-again GLOD or PLOD label.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

???

Refering to Roy's quote. Someone who won't buy a slabbed book just because it's in a slab is :screwy: Made me think of that old saying.

Gotcha. Can't say I've ever heard that expression before, but it sounds like a painful exercise in futility.

Aren't all slabs that have at least 2 posts popped regraded upon resubmission?

What does that have to do with anything? A scammer would have to be totally brain-dead to resub a clearly-manipulated slab.

Only unslabbed raw books get resubbed by these lamers.

That happen to me with a book I bought off an comic auction site and I had to ask Gemma about this question and send I sent her the pics of this book in its warped altered CGC case. I showed her how it was sealed with crazy-glue and how the odd/fake the label looked and it didn't have the same features as my other CGC books labels did. It looked like it was made on a cheap printer/color copier. She wanted me to mail the book to CGC but I had to try and get money back before the seller can't be reached.

???

Refering to Roy's quote. Someone who won't buy a slabbed book just because it's in a slab is :screwy: Made me think of that old saying.

It's true though, isn't it? I hear it all the time at cons.

Absolutely true. We have many buyers at shows who won't look

at slabbed books but will blindly pay more for a raw, overgraded, perhaps

restored book.

Some think that comics are meant to be read and refuse to look at slabbed books. Some think that slabbed books are too expensive but they aren't

usually unless nose-bleed high grade.

I've removed dozens of labels from slabs without damaging them (old label and new). Of all the cases I've opened, several opened very easily (shockingly so, really) and one very cleanly as to not show any real damage to the case. I remember thinking that I could put it back together and you might not be able to tell it was ever opened. However, the new slabs do seem stronger and the last few I "cracked" actually cracked in the middle rather than separate at the posts.

As to why would I crack a book in the first place?

1). I guess if it's going to be in my long term collection, I want it raw. I love comic books, inside and out, and I can't read them very well while in the case.

2) CGC is a great restoration check and general grade assurance for getting a book in the condition you want.

3) It's really fun to see how glossy a silver or golden age book is without all that plastic in-between you and the book. Who doesn't like to flip through frosty white pages and smell vintage paper and ink on a book that's 50-70 years old?

That being said, this thread is in danger of becoming a "how to" guide for the bad guys.

???

It's true though, isn't it? I hear it all the time at cons.

Absolutely true. We have many buyers at shows who won't look

at slabbed books but will blindly pay more for a raw, overgraded, perhaps

restored book.

Some think that comics are meant to be read and refuse to look at slabbed books. Some think that slabbed books are too expensive but they aren't

usually unless nose-bleed high grade.

Yup. They can't even bother to compare books and prices. They just assume slabbed books are more expensive, can't ever be read and I've even heard people say stuff like "how do you really know the entire comic is complete if you can't see it" or "how do you know CGC didn't switch the books when you sent yours in for grading". Amazing, but true.

Yup. They can't even bother to compare books and prices. They just assume slabbed books are more expensive, can't ever be read and I've even heard people say stuff like "how do you really know the entire comic is complete if you can't see it" or "how do you know CGC didn't switch the books when you sent yours in for grading". Amazing, but true.

Because we all know no company would ever do anything like that, right?

Because we all know no company would ever do anything like that, right?

Hey, anything is possible and PGX has proven that. It just that people will believe almost anything without checking their facts.

A good number of my collecting friends won't touch a slabbed book. They remember the first slabs out there and the fact that the books slid around so much in them. Many people have serious issues with the fact that Heritage is both an owner and client of CGC, and others have some other complaints with slabbed books. Space and weight can be a big factor, as well. A collection of books that fits into one short white box needs about five larger CGC boxes and weighs much more.