• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your heart's GA-desire? If you ...

79 posts in this topic

First on my list would be a restored, upper-low (3.0 - 5.0) grade of Batman 1 ($5-7k).

Um... yeah. This book is ridiculously awesome in-and-out. Why WOULDN'T you want a copy?

Second on my list would be a LOW grade, unrestored (.5 - 1.0--think back cover missing sort of defect) copy of Tec 31 ($5k). This is a copy of cover-fascination and smart money spending.

Third on my list would be an unrestored, upper-low (3.0-4.0) grade copy of Tec 38 ($5k). Unlike many, I loved Robin and would still love a copy!

Finally, I'd like to aim for a low grade (1.5-2.0), unrestored copy of Action Comics 2 ($5k). If you can't get #1, then #2 is the next closest (and best) option!

I'd get a page from Action 1 and a staple from a Tec 27.

If it was my heart's desire, it would be as many pretty mid-grade (think 6.5-7.0) copies of WDC&S 1-10 as I could get.

If it was to invest, I'd ask you guys and listen to advice from Gator, ciorac et al.

Sir Scrooge-

can I ask what is the attraction of Crime Mysteries- I mean it's an OK small pub crime-horror run but is there something special that put it at top of list?

Nothing special that others would recognize. Kinda is the modus operanti of my collection as a matter of fact. I would like some Crime Mysteries b/c 1) I don't own any, 2) my favorite fiction lit is crime mysteries, preferably historical, 3) I am not working on any PCH title ... yet, and 4) it has IMO one of the strongest set of covers from start to end of its short run. The reason I have not started working any PCH run is because Horror isn't really my cup o'tea but with the crime angle, I can dig it and just for that, it's an interesting title and it's really the only one I can think of that does the horror / crime blend. Fight Against Crime, for example, does not have the same horror bend and I guess to find any other such Crime / Horror blend, we'd have to look at one of the EC titles, CrimeSuspenstories come to mind. So, yes, it's on my radar but ... not, sadly, at my price point.

Wow - a lot of Great books are on your mind out there.

The desire to complete runs, to fill that hole in the collection, to get that grail is the gasolin of the boards. Most of you guys and girls are right that fun and love for the hobby is something else than investment. With Hulks + amazing's falling, late SA comming down hard and all, - perhaps its not the right time to buy any big ticket books? Not even in GA (shrug) But this view is defied by the fact that we do see increases (like with the early Tecs I mentioned). There is a big collection of US comics (including Bats #1 and Tecs) being auctioned in the UK today - it will be exiting to see how the books perform in a european market ... (worship)

I`d re-assemble a HG Duck collection, now that prices have fallen so much. 4 years ago $20K couldn`t have even purchased one 9.4 FC 386. Now, $20K would buy a 9.4 FC 386 and at least 2 other 9.4 or better Duck FCs. What a deal!

I`d re-assemble a HG Duck collection, now that prices have fallen so much. 4 years ago $20K couldn`t have even purchased one 9.4 FC 386. Now, $20K would buy a 9.4 FC 386 and at least 2 other 9.4 or better Duck FCs. What a deal!

Do you see them going back up though? (Hope not - I want more duck books too.)

And great custom title you have there! lol

I don't think of what GA I buy in terms of investment. It sucks the fun out of it for me.

If I had 10-20k to blow on GA, I'd go for a More Fun 52, Four Color 1, and a Flash 1.

I'm with Bill. The things I collect are terrible investments but I love them. For investment purposes I would try to get the best slightly restored action 7 or Tec 29 or 31 that I could get.

But if I went into it as a collector I would throw all of the money at Bedrock and see if I could get him to part with this:

SingleSeries20CVCGC.jpg

Then every day, I would gleefully ogle my purchase over the years as it slowly went down in value relative to inflation. :cloud9:

Do you see them going back up though? (Hope not - I want more duck books too.)

I don`t know. I`m no longer as plugged into the Duck community as I used to be. The weak Euro definitely doesn`t help matters, though.

And great custom title you have there! lol

:acclaim:

Wow - a lot of Great books are on your mind out there.

The desire to complete runs, to fill that hole in the collection, to get that grail is the gasolin of the boards. Most of you guys and girls are right that fun and love for the hobby is something else than investment. With Hulks + amazing's falling, late SA comming down hard and all, - perhaps its not the right time to buy any big ticket books? Not even in GA (shrug) But this view is defied by the fact that we do see increases (like with the early Tecs I mentioned). There is a big collection of US comics (including Bats #1 and Tecs) being auctioned in the UK today - it will be exiting to see how the books perform in a european market ... (worship)

I think what we're seeing with the SA Marvel market is a simple price correction much akin to what we saw about a year or so back with Amazing Fantasy #15. When books zoom up in prices quickly, and therefore price out many potential buyers, a drop off is bound to occur. The main point is that these same books have a floor--a baseline entry price that I seriously doubt they will drop below. As a low grade collector who spends his hobby time looking at the prices of these books, I can definitely say that while the mid and high grade markets might be experiencing some fluctuation, the low grades are still in demand--fueled in no small part, I'm sure, by the fact many collectors were priced out of higher grades and now are joining the pool of low grade collectors in the competition for these books. I go back to the NY show when I spoke to most of the dealers who dealt in vintage books and they all told me that 1. they couldn't keep low grade keys because 2. people swooping in to buy them without even haggling.

So really, I'd say it depends on which side of the market you're on before declaring the field in a downward slump. In many ways, the bigger SA keys are like regular GA books--doesn't matter if there's a little resto or some major defects in the lower grades--there's a baseline price for "entry into the ownership club."