• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your heart's GA-desire? If you ...

79 posts in this topic

In the UK Tec 27 apparent 4.5 (ext) just went for 37500$ (+ juice: 18% buyers premium) = approx. 44K.

If I was doing my math right it should be more then this with the hammer price at 24000 pounds. If this was in the US I would have bought, as such I was one of the under bidders. This is the type of book I need and about the highest I can afford.

I thought most of the prices were very strong in that auction.

James G

Yeah, if you want to pick nits.

Angelius is approximately spot on. With the current exchange rate (which you can google):

£24000.00 / 0.6393 = $37541.06

(+ juice: 18% buyers premium) = approx. 44K. What the man said.

I don't think a $6500-10,000 difference is nitpicking. That amount was the difference between me winning the auction and not. I had to figure in shipping and insurance as well which would have added a bit. Plus if you bid on the net it was another 3% or so. It adds up very quickly and it was very hard to bid against the UK bidders considering all the added factors a US buyer faced.

As for the topic at hand, I would go for a Batman or Captain America 1. Two books I have always really wanted.

James G

the book was won with an internet bid, so you have to add 3.5%...and, depending on they pay, potentially nother 2%...so very well could have gone for 47500+, but we know it went for 46+ just with the 3.5% add on (thumbs u

Cheap or steep ? (shrug) Completely relative ...

One things for sure: its a lot a dough

There are certainly a few books I'd be interested in, some for personal preference, some for investment, and some that might end up being both but...I'll try to blend them into one post.

1) A Restored copy of Batman #1.

What kind and how much restoration would really have to depend, I'd want as sharp a copy as 10-20K would get me, and hopefully a copy (while already having been restored) that would withstand the test of time.

2) Detective Comics #33.

Seeing this former #2 Batman Tec take a back-seat to other issues in recent years, I'd be interested in purchasing a copy for both the historical significance (as there's plenty) and the potential to utilize that significance as a means to re-claim it's top (lets say the #2 or #3) spot as I feel the issue has enough going for it that there should be no surprise why it was once so revered.

3) Detective Comics #38.

It's hard for collectors to want to invest a lot of money into a book that's valuable because it features the first appearence of a character that they don't even like. I don't feel that the anti-Robin sentiment will be as strong in ten years time than it is today (although I may of course be mistaken). Tec #38 features the 1st appearence of a character more significant than pretty much all DC superheroes outside of Superman and Batman. And besides all the above mentioned, I simply really like the issue.

Those three are just off the top of my head; if I had more time to consider I might come up with others.

SingleSeries20CVCGC.jpg

Whenever I look at this cover, all I can think about is -- boy, I'll bet that lion's breath stinks!

I just think that the guys lion head will fall off the costume....losing in a hand to paw contest with a nekkid guy in a thong...sheesh :roflmao:

SingleSeries20CVCGC.jpg

Whenever I look at this cover, all I can think about is -- boy, I'll bet that lion's breath stinks!

I just think that the guys lion head will fall off the costume....losing in a hand to paw contest with a nekkid guy in a thong...sheesh :roflmao:

strangely enough, one of the few books I have never targeted to own (and quite honestly, don't expect that to change in the near future)...will just enjoy vicariously through others

There are certainly a few books I'd be interested in, some for personal preference, some for investment, and some that might end up being both but...I'll try to blend them into one post.

1) A Restored copy of Batman #1.

What kind and how much restoration would really have to depend, I'd want as sharp a copy as 10-20K would get me, and hopefully a copy (while already having been restored) that would withstand the test of time.

2) Detective Comics #33.

Seeing this former #2 Batman Tec take a back-seat to other issues in recent years, I'd be interested in purchasing a copy for both the historical significance (as there's plenty) and the potential to utilize that significance as a means to re-claim it's top (lets say the #2 or #3) spot as I feel the issue has enough going for it that there should be no surprise why it was once so revered.

3) Detective Comics #38.

It's hard for collectors to want to invest a lot of money into a book that's valuable because it features the first appearence of a character that they don't even like. I don't feel that the anti-Robin sentiment will be as strong in ten years time than it is today (although I may of course be mistaken). Tec #38 features the 1st appearence of a character more significant than pretty much all DC superheroes outside of Superman and Batman. And besides all the above mentioned, I simply really like the issue.

Those three are just off the top of my head; if I had more time to consider I might come up with others.

I do think the PreRobin issues will maintain a certain element of popularity due to the lack of Robin. They contain a whole different tone and feel--dark, gritty, noir which lightened considerably with Robin's entry. But like you--I can still appreciate Tec 38 for being a monumental (and cool!) grail book.

strangely enough, one of the few books I have never targeted to own (and quite honestly, don't expect that to change in the near future).

Hater!

:sorry:

64 pages of Hal Foster goodness in Full Color! What's not to love? :shrug:

Edit: And I just noticed Hal Foster's name isn't on the CGC label. WTH! :sumo:

strangely enough, one of the few books I have never targeted to own (and quite honestly, don't expect that to change in the near future).

Hater!

the nerve of them

Hater!

the nerve of them

If Rob Liefeld gets mentioned on CGC labels, then Hal Foster should be as well. He's only the greatest comic strip artist of all time! :preach:

The only grail that I could afford to purchase, and really really want.

The highest grade Kid Colt Outlaw #1 in existence.

I could never afford an Action 1, Tec 27 or the like (well, "never" probably isn't the correct word. I guess I could if I sold a lot of the rest of my books). But I could afford the Kid Colt 1 (I assume).

If Rob Liefeld gets mentioned on CGC labels
Isn't that done as a warning required by the Consumer Products Safety Division?

Hal Foster should be as well. He's only the greatest comic strip artist of all time!
I'd go with Winsor McKay as #1 but Foster would be my #2.

It`s hard to read the guy`s strips, though. I always come away feeling like I just spent time in an opium den.

Given that he is trying to create stories that occur during dreams (Little Nemo, Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend) it sounds like he succeeded. It's easier to appreciate the accomplishment of both Foster and McKay if you read them in super-oversize volumes that present them nearer to real size like this 16" x 21" version. http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/LTT02H/cid/38

It`s hard to read the guy`s strips, though. I always come away feeling like I just spent time in an opium den.

Given that he is trying to create stories that occur during dreams (Little Nemo, Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend) it sounds like he succeeded. It's easier to appreciate the accomplishment of both Foster and McKay if you read them in super-oversize volumes that present them nearer to real size like this 16" x 21" version. http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/LTT02H/cid/38

Those Winsor McKay volumes are pretty awesome and I was really glad to see them come out. Very few people seem to recognize how much both he and Foster laid the groundwork for all of comics. And how much the great comic book artists of the 40's and 50's admired them.

In regard to the original post, I think if I was just getting to golden age comics and I had a chunk of money, I'd be going after either Captain America 1, or DC / Timely Church Books.

I don't think you should start buying higher grade Master Comics, Frazetta Famous Funnies, Gaines File Copies, or cool Fiction House books as I would like those for myself.

In the UK Tec 27 apparent 4.5 (ext) just went for 37500$ (+ juice: 18% buyers premium) = approx. 44K.

If I was doing my math right it should be more then this with the hammer price at 24000 pounds. If this was in the US I would have bought, as such I was one of the under bidders. This is the type of book I need and about the highest I can afford.

I thought most of the prices were very strong in that auction.

James G

Yeah, if you want to pick nits.

Angelius is approximately spot on. With the current exchange rate (which you can google):

£24000.00 / 0.6393 = $37541.06

(+ juice: 18% buyers premium) = approx. 44K. What the man said.

I don't think a $6500-10,000 difference is nitpicking. That amount was the difference between me winning the auction and not. I had to figure in shipping and insurance as well which would have added a bit. Plus if you bid on the net it was another 3% or so. It adds up very quickly and it was very hard to bid against the UK bidders considering all the added factors a US buyer faced.

As for the topic at hand, I would go for a Batman or Captain America 1. Two books I have always really wanted.

James G

the book was won with an internet bid, so you have to add 3.5%...and, depending on they pay, potentially nother 2%...so very well could have gone for 47500+, but we know it went for 46+ just with the 3.5% add on (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure it was a phone bidder who won and bought a lot of the books. I think we will see that book again quite soon.

Also if you Yanks had left that auction alone, I could have won it for £15,000 as I was the only one in the room bidding on it. Still ended up out of the running very quickly :frustrated: