• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone actually read the early Avengers?

50 posts in this topic

+ 1 (thumbs u

I'm sure 50 years from now the stroylines of today will be the embarassment of tommorow.

Why wait 50 years to call them embarassing?

Dan

Best point I've read all day!

(worship)

I am not sure that they are necessarily embarrassing or corny. The book has the heroes operate by principles that we are not comfortable with overtly espousing anymore. Forty-five years is a long time.

The media since then teach us that it's far cooler to badassed. (shrug)

That has nothing to do with it to me. I just think it's overly wordy and bordering on pompous.

Even 45 years ago, if you'd have translated those scripts into movies, it would've sounded outright silly.

"Too many notes?"

Yeah, the writing style is very dated and some of the stuff is very silly when looked at realistically but it's definitely not limited to the Avengers. Nearly every comic title of the time had these characteristics. IMHO, the Human Torch in Strange Tales stories were some of the worst for looking dated and silly. (Cool covers though).

Out of all the early Marvels, I think the Avengers #1-10 are one of the best runs. Compare them with early Strange Tales(Garry (thumbs u ), Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Journey Into Mystery + even (Gasp!!) the early FF + I think the Avengers come out in front of them all. Comparing them to later comics from the Bronze to Modern is inappropriate, IMHO. And the Avengers could kick anyone's azz too!!!! :sumo:

All the early Marvels are corny. Read the first 10 FFs, they suck in a neat corny way.

Reading Avengers from 1-100ish is a lot of fun. Every few issues

it seemed that the lineup changed.

It didn't seem that way, it DID change every few issues! lol

Thats what made 181 such a awesome, classic cover imo. Like half the freaking Marvel Universe is on that cover because they were Avengers at 1 time or another!

It's been decades since I've read a SA Avengers story, and it wasn't my favorite title back when I was young Marvel fan ( mainly due to too much Don Heck), but I was looking at the cover gallery for the first 100 issues and it looks like Captain America only appears intermittently during the SA after issue 46 or so. What's the story there?

It's been decades since I've read a SA Avengers story, and it wasn't my favorite title back when I was young Marvel fan ( mainly due to too much Don Heck), but I was looking at the cover gallery for the first 100 issues and it looks like Captain America only appears intermittently during the SA after issue 46 or so. What's the story there?

Didn't he leave around that time? Seems like it was around when the Black Knight came that Cap left.

Avengers 1-15 aren't much good - the team didn't really have a reason to be together. The line-up change created an actual character dynamic: Cap self-doubting, Hawkeye rebellious, Wanda and Pietro unhappy and angry. Then Roy Thomas took over and did probably his best writing, and a year or two after that John Buscema hit his stride on art, and it became one of Marvel's strongest titles of the late SA.