• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadowland explained....if you are interested...but probably not.

20 posts in this topic

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29934

Interesting article on Shadowland, from an interview with Andy Diggle. I know some people liked it, but most people hated it...all the needless minis, one-shots and crossovers.

Looks like Marvel took the idea and ran much farther with it than what Diggle had intended. Maybe it was just me, but he seems a little bitter about the set-up he got from Brubaker...maybe I am reading too much into it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29934

Interesting article on Shadowland, from an interview with Andy Diggle. I know some people liked it, but most people hated it...all the needless minis, one-shots and crossovers.

Looks like Marvel took the idea and ran much farther with it than what Diggle had intended. Maybe it was just me, but he seems a little bitter about the set-up he got from Brubaker...maybe I am reading too much into it.

I hated the whole thing. I dropped Daredevil (one of my last Marvel titles) because of it.

The first few issues by Diggle were ok. When all the Shadowland stuff started, it turned to quickly.

There are alot of cool things they could've done with the way Brubaker left DD (in charge of the Hand). They took the lame route with the possession.

I'm glad that Diggle is nearly done. DD rocked for about 100 issues with Bendis and Brubaker and then it went to with Diggle. At least it's almost over.

The first few issues by Diggle were ok. When all the Shadowland stuff started, it turned to quickly.

There are alot of cool things they could've done with the way Brubaker left DD (in charge of the Hand). They took the lame route with the possession.

I'm glad that Diggle is nearly done. DD rocked for about 100 issues with Bendis and Brubaker and then it went to with Diggle. At least it's almost over.

Know who's taking over? I'm disappointed that they let the title flame out so spectacularly after the great Bendis/Brubaker runs.

Know who's taking over? I'm disappointed that they let the title flame out so spectacularly after the great Bendis/Brubaker runs.

No, I don't, but I hope it's someone good. If it's not a top tier writer, I wouldn't mind seeing what Duane Swierczynski (the guy who did Iron Fist) can do with the character. It's a shame that it went from consistently great to mung so quickly.

I think the whole Shadowland thing could have been better had they just left it as an arc in the main Daredevil title. By trying to make it big...they made it seem smaller or less significant...there wasn't enough there to carry an entire event.

You know, I'm not sure where DD is going after reborn...it sounds like they wanted to leave Black Panther on the regular series for a while and just kind of leave DD in limbo. I guess they were kind of hoping that if DD was gone for a while it would increase interest in him again...although I have to say, his book consistently sells in the top 30 or so...I mean what more could they want...he has always been a second tier character, and that is one of the things fans of DD have always liked about him.

All of the minis absolutely ruined it. I passed on it all and I felt like I had little idea of what was going on.

I'd be curious to see the sales on the book. I think they are making a critical mistake. It's not like the situation with Thor. Barring the last few Oeming issues, no one was interested in Thor. It made sense to shelve him. And this is coming from a HUGE Thor fan. On the other hand, there has beeen more interest in DD in the last decade then in a LONG time. I don't see how they could possibly gain anything by shelving him.

I'm probably the exception, but I liked the idea of DD taking over the the Hand. I just don't think they took it down the right path. The possession was pretty lame too.

I just love the characters they put around DD and I'm afraid all of that is lost. Tarantula, White Tiger, Iron Fist, etc.

Pat

I was OK with him taking over the hand as well...and I didn't mind the possession, what I minded was the fact that they tried to play it off like it was a surprise that he was possessed. We all had it figured out...they should have just been up front with it in the beginning...showed the Hand laying out their plans and it all coming to pass, instead of all this talk from the hand that "everything was going as planned" like we, as readers were on the edge of our seat trying to figure it out. It could have been a little more of a chess match between the Hand and DD then.

The other thing I did not like was killing of Bullseye in the mini, instead of the main title...I know he will be back, but he should have died in Daredevil, not Shadowland.

It's obvious this was all an attempt to clean the slate and lose the "baggage" that had begun with the beginning of Volume 2. Problem is, that was some pretty damn fine baggage.

I'm also with you on the supporting cast, minus Foggy, I think Foggy as a character has basically run his course...they should have let DD axe him.

I stopped buying when Brubaker left - I might have given Diggle's run a shot, but I didn't like the art, and I didn't really care for the way Brubaker wrapped up his run.

Even by comic book plotting conventions there seemed no real reason for the Hand to want DD as it's leader, and it seemed to depart from the gritty crime comic feel that both Brubaker and Bendis had worked so well. Looks like I didn't miss much.