• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are HG Silver JLA books worth buying or investing in??? DC vs Marvel

52 posts in this topic

For the first time in a long time, you DC loving lot are finally making some sense to me. tongue.gif

By the way B&B books suck.

Showcase, Flash, GL, Atom and Aquaman suck too. Worst books in the world. No one on these boards should touch them with a 10-foot pole, especially if they're pre-1965 issues in 9.4 or higher.

Spend your money on Spider-man's, because there's more high grade copies available and a much deeper market if you should find yourself in a position to have to sell. And everyone knows that Marvels rool! 27_laughing.gif

For the first time in a long time, you DC loving lot are finally making some sense to me. tongue.gif

Showcase, Flash, GL, Atom and Aquaman suck too. Worst books in the world. No one on these boards should touch them with a 10-foot pole, especially if they're pre-1965 issues in 9.4 or higher.

Spend your money on Spider-man's, because there's more high grade copies available and a much deeper market if you should find yourself in a position to have to sell. And everyone knows that Marvels rool! 27_laughing.gif

Just here to help! Let's all say it together: "MAKE MINE MARVEL, MAKE MINE MARVEL, MAKE MINE MARVEL!!! SELL DC, SELL DC, SELL DC!!!" insane.gif

If you are wondering what to invest in you shouldn't be investing. There are plenty of HG collections that will come up for sale, estate sales, divorce, baby-rooms, etc force many sales. Roter kept the best Pacific Coast copies for himself, and once I bought a B&B 28 in NM for $30.00 at a shop. Dealer had it priced as JLA 28, covered the bag with price on the B&B banner. When I pointed it out he sold it to me anyway because I was honest. So save your money, and enjoy your life without the stress of investing. That is the best investment you can make. Otherwise, pool your cash and wait for collections. Single book buying is the second worst investment you could make. The first worst investment is stockpiling ammo, because the primers have a new shelf life of one year and won't fire after the expiration, to prevent militia movements from gaining power...

i didn't know you were a DC hater - SHAME 893naughty-thumb.gif

That JLA #7 on the heritage auction is what prompted my question. I may bid for it but not sure if it's a wise investment. But hey collect what you like right wink.gif

Eric

i was looking at it also, but have a hard time warming up to that dopey cover. nevertheless, my copy is probably only a 7.5 devil.gif

Single book buying is the second worst investment you could make.

Not if you have patience, and buy quality books at reasonable (or discounted) prices.

The problem with buying single books is the added cost of shipping. So if you are buying $50 CGC books off of eBay, you better be getting a very good price. But if you are buying $500 books, then the cost of shipping isn't as much of a factor.

The first worst investment is stockpiling ammo, because the primers have a new shelf life of one year and won't fire after the expiration, to prevent militia movements from gaining power...

wheres the "scary post" icon when you need it!!

The first worst investment is stockpiling ammo, because the primers have a new shelf life of one year and won't fire after the expiration, to prevent militia movements from gaining power...

wheres the "scary post" icon when you need it!!

was sorta thinking the same thing shocked.gif

If you define "long run" as 10 years then yes, it does have that potential. Now if 6 other copies are graded 9.4 and 3 are graded 9.6's and a 9.8 pops up in the meantime, then you'd better make that 20 years to life!

Timely

If you define "long run" as 10 years then yes, it does have that potential. Now if 6 other copies are graded 9.4 and 3 are graded 9.6's and a 9.8 pops up in the meantime, then you'd better make that 20 years to life!

Timely

One of the other posters on this board, JLA_All_the_Way, says his raw B&B 28, which he sold to Metropolis some years ago, was at least a 9.4, and his eye has proven to be pretty good. So whether because of this book or another copy somewhere surfacing, it's unlikely that this will remain the only CGC 9.4 copy out there.

As to will B&B 28 be a six figure book someday? Never say never, but there is only one silver DC book that has cracked the $100k barrier thus far, the CGC 9.4 copy of Showcase 4, and to my knowledge nothing else has even come close. And as far as I can tell, it only changes hands between dealers, so I'm a bit skeptical as to whether there is any genuine demand for that book at that price. The 9.2 copy of Showcase has been languishing on PGCMint's site at $67k for eons.

My general take is that those few collectors out there who can and do pay $100k+ are either GA or Marvel collectors, and low-five figures seems to be a real ceiling for silver DC.

And why is this, you ask? Because DCs suck!!!

the story about my avatar is not what it appears, though I wondered if it looked like Sgt Fury was my favorite character....

I scanned the little fake mini covers on the inside back page of Marvel Tales Annual #1 and separated the six "covers for use as rotating avatars. I started with Ant-Man, and switched to Fury. But, months later, Ive just never gptten aroundbeen to switching to the other 4 superheroes: SPidey, Thor, Hulk and Iron MAn.

Let me start off by saying that for most of my collecting career I have been hardcore Marvel. However I really like JLA and most of the old stories. They just seem like a different animal then what I collect now. When I want to get a high grade Tales of Suspense book I usually have 3 NM, 2 NM+ copies to chose from ect. ect. When I look at the census for JLA a lot of the time the best copy is one NM-. So which is better to collect or invest in? Should I spend big $$$ to buy the best JLA books when there may be a ton more graded later or spend big $$$ on high grade marvel where the scarcity isn't there now let alone in the future? Is there even really a market for High Grade DC's?

Have fun..

Eric

You answered your own question. "I really like JLA and most of the old stories." As FFBono said, and I agree with, BUY WHAT YOU LIKE! Hard to go wrong.

There's a big difference between COLLECTING and INVESTING. If you like 'em, collect 'em. If you're just looking at this for investment purposes, then you're probably better off going HG Marvel. IMO, and has been echoed by fellow board members in this thread, your HG DC collector is doing it to COLLECT. The investment part is secondary.

To the last part of your question. First, you are correct that early 60s DC are MUCH harder to find compared to Marvel for most titles. As a result there is a definite market when top books show up. For either title. I doubt you'll see "a ton" of HG DC popping up compared to HG Marvel. So you'll pay decent $ for either to get HG. If you're planning to flip later, then buy the best books you can. Regardless of publisher. HG is still HG.

Good luck with your choice. If you choose to follow-thru and go after HG JLA, then welcome. It's a fun ride! hi.gif