• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 1*

197 posts in this topic

That corner crease is almost nonexistent guys. :baiting:

Sure, but when combined with the multiple, color-breaking spine creases it makes me shake my head at the 9.4 grade.

Even stranger is that the largest group of respondents picked 9.4. doh!

This book was picked specifically to be the first book of the contest. Outside of it not being a Thor book, it's represents everything about Nik and what he collected.

Could someone point the way to where I could read more about him and what he liked. Based off of the little bit that I've found, I know he loved picture frames and monster books... every once in a while I'll find a post by him when going through an old thread.

He sounds like he was a charasmatic person and very missed.

I guess I'd just like to know a little more about him.

And even though I've said this before... sort of... this contest is a fantastic tribute! :)

This book was picked specifically to be the first book of the contest. Outside of it not being a Thor book, it's represents everything about Nik and what he collected.

Could someone point the way to where I could read more about him and what he liked. Based off of the little bit that I've found, I know he loved picture frames and monster books... every once in a while I'll find a post by him when going through an old thread.

And even though I've said this before... sort of... this contest is a fantastic tribute! :)

If I had to describe Nik, I'd say he was probably the nicest, most considerate person you could ever hope to have as a friend.

Nik had been known to send someone a PM out of the blue and ask for their address. You'd ask why and he'd say that he found something that he wanted to send you.

A few days later you get a package with a book or whatever. Could have been a book you had been talking about a few weeks earlier. He ran across the thread and decided to mail you a copy just to make you smile.

On many occasions I'd posted some random thread in the WTB forum. Nik pops up and says "send me your address", and just mailed me whatever I was looking for. Wouldn't take a penny when I offered to send him money to at least cover the shipping. In his memory, I've done this a few times to other board members just to give them the same feeling Nik used to give me.

In the end, Nik gave me a gift I can never thank him or repay him for. I'm the type of person that hates going to the doctor and will only go after weeks of suffering. On Dec 12th of 2009, I started having pains like someone was sitting on my chest. This was a short time after Nik passed away. Knowing what happened to Nik, I didn't wait. I had my fiance drive me to the emergency room immediately. Just as we reached the hospital I started having a heart attack. It was Saturday afternoon. There wasn't a single person in the waiting room of the ER. They hooked me up to the EKG and a swarm of people came in the room cutting my clothes off, sticking needles in me, and they gave me a shot that thinned my blood and stopped the heart attack.

They rushed me into an operating room where a doctor gave me a heart cath. They determined I needed a quintuple bypass. My fiancee was there with me during the cath and she told the doctor she'd never heard of a "quintuple" bypass. The doctor told her that it's rare because people that need them die before they get to the hospital and the fact that I decided to go to the ER the instant I did is the only thing that saved my life. What happened to Nik is what saved my life because I would have waited.

I regret that I never got to meet Nik in person. He was one of the most dear friends that I could have ever hoped to have, and we had never had any connection outside of the boards. If I ever needed someone to talk to, he'd knock people down to listen. The guy would give you the shirt off his back. Although I never met him, he was a true friend. One I was very lucky to have.

Darnit :frustrated: Went with a 9.4 at first then changed to 9.2 :pullhair: Should've went with my first instinct

The key to this grading contest is consistency. You obviously want to score as many bullseyes as possible, but if you consistently get 3's and 5's throughout the contest you'll easily be in the top 10/top 20. (thumbs u

If I had to describe Nik, I'd say he was probably the nicest, most considerate person you could ever hope to have as a friend.

Nik had been known to send someone a PM out of the blue and ask for their address. You'd ask why and he'd say that he found something that he wanted to send you.

A few days later you get a package with a book or whatever. Could have been a book you had been talking about a few weeks earlier. He ran across the thread and decided to mail you a copy just to make you smile.

On many occasions I'd posted some random thread in the WTB forum. Nik pops up and says "send me your address", and just mailed me whatever I was looking for. Wouldn't take a penny when I offered to send him money to at least cover the shipping. In his memory, I've done this a few times to other board members just to give them the same feeling Nik used to give me.

In the end, Nik gave me a gift I can never thank him or repay him for. I'm the type of person that hates going to the doctor and will only go after weeks of suffering. On Dec 12th of 2009, I started having pains like someone was sitting on my chest. This was a short time after Nik passed away. Knowing what happened to Nik, I didn't wait. I had my fiance drive me to the emergency room immediately. Just as we reached the hospital I started having a heart attack. It was Saturday afternoon. There wasn't a single person in the waiting room of the ER. They hooked me up to the EKG and a swarm of people came in the room cutting my clothes off, sticking needles in me, and they gave me a shot that thinned my blood and stopped the heart attack.

They rushed me into an operating room where a doctor gave me a heart cath. They determined I needed a quintuple bypass. My fiancee was there with me during the cath and she told the doctor she'd never heard of a "quintuple" bypass. The doctor told her that it's rare because people that need them die before they get to the hospital and the fact that I decided to go to the ER the instant I did is the only thing that saved my life. What happened to Nik is what saved my life because I would have waited.

I regret that I never got to meet Nik in person. He was one of the most dear friends that I could have ever hoped to have, and we had never had any connection outside of the boards. If I ever needed someone to talk to, he'd knock people down to listen. The guy would give you the shirt off his back. Although I never met him, he was a true friend. One I was very lucky to have.

Wish I was around to have met Nik. He seemed to embody what the boards should be!

Glad to hear you survived your hear attack.

See, contrary to popular belief you have been proven to actually have a heart. :baiting:

wow....thank God you went to the hospital! After reading all these posts, I really wish I had joined the boards earlier to meet Nik.....

Dice can be sappy at times.

Darnit :frustrated: Went with a 9.4 at first then changed to 9.2 :pullhair: Should've went with my first instinct

The key to this grading contest is consistency. You obviously want to score as many bullseyes as possible, but if you consistently get 3's and 5's throughout the contest you'll easily be in the top 10/top 20. (thumbs u

True, but I'm hoping to be in the top 5 when it's all said and done :wishluck: After sending in my grade for Round #2, I think that consistency may have went down the drain :tonofbricks: