• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are early Valiants making a comeback?

98 posts in this topic

This is just a running gag between myself and Valiantman. Nothing personal in the least.

Yeah, I used to take it personal when we first started our Valiant "banter"...

but I actually whole-heartedly agree with Joe C on a number of points...

Valiant books bought and sold solely for "investment purposes"

aren't being bought and sold by true Valiant collectors.

They are just a "nameless commodity" which means little or nothing to

the investor... and I'm personally not interested in having Valiant used as

the "poster child" for what's wrong with the comic book market.

Valiant books, especially the earliest ones, are fantastic reads.

True Valiant collectors probably cringe when a seller uses the phrase...

"This book has never been read." How sad!

So, when I see a CGC 9.8 Valiant book sell for $300+, when I believe that the

fair market value should be closer to $50 - $75... I'm worried too.

I can only hope that the buyer is aware of the situation and doesn't have any

plans to "make a quick buck" on their $300+ purchase.

Since the buyers I've seen paying the "crazy dollars" so far haven't been selling...

I hope (even more strongly) that they are just building an enviable private collection.

When someone buys what they like, at the time they want it,

then there probably is no "wrong price" for that item...

BUT... there might be a better price later... even the same day...

That one buyer did what they wanted with their own money,

but the next guy may not think so highly of the same auction.

I'm realistic as far as Valiant goes... and I won't be surprised at all

if the current "spike" in Valiant prices doesn't hold in the long term.

Valiants are solid books... but they're not solid gold bullion.

The general rule should be:

Be wary of any item on Ebay that "seems priced too high"...

Odds are that it is. Kudos to the sellers of those items...

but be wary if you think the trends won't change.

Joe doesn't collect Valiant... I don't collect Bronze...

Sounds like we won't be competing in the market,

and less competition is always a good thing.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I am making a comeback into Valiants before the speculators drive up the price of the raw issues as well. I figured since I started out reading Valiants in the early 90's and I agree they were great reads, I am picking up all of the old Pre-Unity issues I don't already have.

I just picked up the following at my local shop:

Magnus Robot Fighter #4

Magnus Robot Fighter #6

X-O Manowar #1

X-O Manowar #3

X-O Manowar #4

X-O Manowar #5

X-O Manowar #6

X-O Manowar #66

Solar Man Of The Atom #1

Solar Man Of The Atom #2

Solar Man Of The Atom #3

Solar Man Of The Atom #4

Solar Man Of The Atom #5

Solar Man Of The Atom #6

Solar Man Of The Atom #7

Solar Man Of The Atom #8

Solar Man Of The Atom #9

Solar Man Of The Atom #58

Turok #1 Gold

All issues are at least Near Mint and unread......j/k about the unread Valiantman grin.gif

I am making a comeback into Valiants before the speculators drive up the price of the raw issues as well. I figured since I started out reading Valiants in the early 90's and I agree they were great reads, I am picking up all of the old Pre-Unity issues I don't already have.

I just picked up the following at my local shop:

Magnus Robot Fighter #4

Magnus Robot Fighter #6

X-O Manowar #1

X-O Manowar #3

X-O Manowar #4

X-O Manowar #5

X-O Manowar #6

X-O Manowar #66

Solar Man Of The Atom #1

Solar Man Of The Atom #2

Solar Man Of The Atom #3

Solar Man Of The Atom #4

Solar Man Of The Atom #5

Solar Man Of The Atom #6

Solar Man Of The Atom #7

Solar Man Of The Atom #8

Solar Man Of The Atom #9

Solar Man Of The Atom #58

Turok #1 Gold

All issues are at least Near Mint and unread......j/k about the unread Valiantman grin.gif

The real question is how much did you have to pay for these issues? It used to be that you'd find these in the under 25/50 cent - $1 bins.

Well let's just say that the shop I go to doesn't really have 50 cents BINs so I wasn't getting away cheap. I paid about $3 bucks a piece for each of them and a little more for the #1 issues.

They may seem like a lot, but I was getting outbid for more than that on Ebay. Some of the other high points were that the shop gives me a 10% discount on all books since I am a subscriber. Additionally, I got to hold these and look them over to confirm they were indeed 9.4 or above instead of buying NM's off Ebay only to receive VF's.

All told I spent about $80 bucks, but I also had 5 other books from different publishers so knock off about $12.75 for those and it comes to under $70 bucks.

There were more issues I needed, but the main one's I went after were the Solar #1 - #9, the others were really a buying frenzy.......you know kid in a candy store mentality. I now have some duplicate issues since I already had some of the Magnus and X-O issues.

All and all I am happy, but I sure wish I had continue to pick up the Valiants a few years ago. If anyone is looking for some specific issue Unity or later, I do know where I can dig through a nice selection for 50 cents a piece, and I wouldn't mind filling some want list for cost (50 cents each) + media rate shipping. thumbsup2.gif

I might even go .45 cents for you JC since I know you can't stay away for the Valiants thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, I thought you were gonna pay me 50-cents per issue and kick in Media rate postage. If your offer drops to 45-cents, I'm out.

My weekend shopping has now officially concluded. I found a dealer who picked up a collection two weeks ago and though of me for this. Here's what was overflowing one long box (not the one I had in storage - which is still there):

Magnus: 1-11, 13-30, 32-39, 52

Magnus Vintage: 1-4

Armorines: 1-2

Harbinger: 0-31

Solar: 1-24, 26-34

RAI: 0-23

X-O: 1-22, 24-30, 46, 47, 40-0, 41, Yearbook 1

Shadowman: 0-16, 19, 22-28, 38

Archer & Armstrong: 0-7, 9-25

Eternal Warrior: 1-13, 16-17, 19-25, 37, Yearbook 1

Dr Mirage: 1-2, 4-9

Bloodshot: 0-18, 34, Yearbook 1

Turok: 1, 3-14, 25

Hard Corps: 1-8, 11, 12, 14-20

Ninjack: 1-5

Secret Weapons: 1-4, 6-11

Unity 0 and 1

Along with about a dozen more random issues.

All of this for ... drum roll...cymbal crash... $100.

They are all either brand spanking new or read once.

Some of these books still had the $22.00 stickers on them - I had to laugh.

I'm going to pick the best of the pre-Unity books to go off to CGC later in the week.

Gosh, but I love days like this!

Larry

I started collecting Valiants started shortly after Unity, not because of any hype, but because of the covers and the art. Then I got hooked on the stories. But the prices for the earlier books - at the time - was just "stupid" money.

I am going to read these, simply because the stories are really good. Even the guy who sold them to me recalled how the writing (especially the early stuff) was remarkable.

Larry

Just wanted to know if any of those early Shooter Valiants are coming back , and are they worth slabbing?

Dmac358

$1200 is what I got for my 5 CGC books that ended tonight.....

$345 HARBINGER PINK #0 CGC 9.8

$201 HARBINGER #41 CGC 9.8

$305 X-O #2 CGC 9.8

$263 SOLAR #1 CGC 9.8

$78 RAI #1 CGC 9.6

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

Might be time to get some of my dups graded and listed before this silly money fades away.

most of the Valiant comics are just GREAT reading. What a series of books that could have withstood the test of time if not for greed.

Here's something to consider:

1 - My collecting preferences are not unique or special really in any sense

2 - I like Valiants.

3 - I am 24

Here's something else to think about:

based off of my collecting goals and what not i think that in a few years when more people in my age group have some more discretionary income that these valiants are going to be a very good bet. And I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

If anyone has some 9.8 pre-unities that they would like to sell for good prices, just send me a PM. If you have what I want, I have no problem paying well for it.

link

another link

Thanks,

DAM

Here's something to consider:

1 - My collecting preferences are not unique or special really in any sense

2 - I like Valiants.

3 - I am 24

Here's something else to think about:

based off of my collecting goals and what not i think that in a few years when more people in my age group have some more discretionary income that these valiants are going to be a very good bet. And I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

If anyone has some 9.8 pre-unities that they would like to sell for good prices, just send me a PM. If you have what I want, I have no problem paying well for it.

link

another link

Thanks,

DAM

Yes, they just might be, but some of the prices that are being paid today sure seem pretty high. I'll hang onto to a few spares for the future as I'm thinking if they ever revive some of the books and do a good job of it, then these books will take off.