• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Looking for ideas/advice......

24 posts in this topic

Haven't been able to post or read much in the last 2-3 weeks, as I'm insanely busy with the new business. Have I missed any good flame wars/conspiracy theories?

Anyway, I'm looking for some serious advice from the great minds on this forum. I've had an idea for an electoronic device, and I just finished building the prototype. The prototype is in working order and ready to go, but I have no clue how to proceed with it. I don't have the time or resources to manufacture and distribute it myself, and I've discovered that getting a patent would likely be very useless in this situation. It's a potentially HUGE market, and will be immitated in no time, so I'm looking to capitalize on it as quickly and quietly as possible. So how would you guys proceed in this situation? Any help or advice would be greatly apreciated.

P.S: Do not ask me what the idea is. I don't trust the gypsies, tramps and theives among us. grin.gif

Why wouldn't a patent help here? Intellectual property means that they would need to license it from you, right? Or, is there more than one way to do this, so they will come up with an alternate way to do the same thing and avoid the patent infringement?

COI : You might want to PM FantasyFootballBono or another of the legal eagles on the boards...? I think there's a way to protect an idea, at least temporarily, without (or prior to) patenting.

And of course, we'll all be getting one of these mystical doohickeys free, as "Friends O' the Cap'n," once you're living on easy street, right? 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was going to ask the same thing. Why not get a patent?

Why wouldn't a patent help here? Intellectual property means that they would need to license it from you, right? Or, is there more than one way to do this, so they will come up with an alternate way to do the same thing and avoid the patent infringement?

In this case, a patent would be useless as far as I can tell. This is not an entirely original invention, but a technological improvement on an already existing idea that would render the others obsolete. It can also be manufactured very cheap, and is an extremely practical item that most of you reading this could use. Once the improvement is known to a large company, they would have the resources to develop a slight variation on my design that would get around patent laws. I cannot compete with the legal departments of these large companies. Or am I missing something?

I'm more or less looking to sell the idea to one company, and be done with it.

And of course, we'll all be getting one of these mystical doohickeys free, as "Friends O' the Cap'n," once you're living on easy street, right?

You got it. thumbsup2.gif

Does the "device" have anything to do with that cutie in the pic and why she is smiling like that?

27_laughing.gif

But the answer is no. I don't need no stinkin' device to make a girl smile like that. grin.gif

I can't give you any legal advice without clearing a conflicts check, as I do a lot of patent litigation for large companies and for all I know, the advice that I would give you could affect an existing patent that one of my clients holds or could relate to an area in which they are making technological inroads. My advice to you would be to call a patent lawyer and ask some general questions. You MAY be able to get more protection than you realize, even if the device is not entirely original. (Think of the weightlifting gloves with the wrist strap. The wrist strap improvement was the original idea, but gloves had been around for over a thousand years. And the inventor still got a patent for the weightlifting glove design, despite the existence of prior art relating to gloves in general, and other weightlifting gloves without straps in particular.)

If your device really is an improvement on an existing invention and if you really believe that you could make some money off of your improvement, spend a thousand bucks to talk to a patent lawyer and get a preliminary opinion.

In this case, a patent would be useless as far as I can tell. This is not an entirely original invention, but a technological improvement on an already existing idea that would render the others obsolete. It can also be manufactured very cheap, and is an extremely practical item that most of you reading this could use. Once the improvement is known to a large company, they would have the resources to develop a slight variation on my design that would get around patent laws. I cannot compete with the legal departments of these large companies. Or am I missing something?

I'm more or less looking to sell the idea to one company, and be done with it.

Thanks. I'll talk to my lawyer and see what his opinion is, and if he can't really help, I'll consult a patent lawyer specifically. It may be very possible that I've been given the wrong idea regarding the efectiveness of a patent. Spending the money is not the issue, as I've already spent a fair amount building the prototype.

Good luck Andrew. My parting advice would be that if your regular lawyer isn't a patent lawyer, take what he says about patent protection with a grain of salt. Most non-patent lawyers don't ever have the opportunity to deal with patent law and thus don't know very much about it.

Thanks. I'll talk to my lawyer and see what his opinion is, and if he can't really help, I'll consult a patent lawyer specifically. It may be very possible that I've been given the wrong idea regarding the efectiveness of a patent. Spending the money is not the issue, as I've already spent a fair amount building the prototype.

Is it a time machine...made out of a DeLorean? insane.gif

Timely

Timely

Yes.

Timely

Yes.

Can I have a lift, I want to get to the day November 5th, 1955...that's the day I invented time trav...err.. better make that May 16th, 1977. I think I'd be first in line to aquire a little known collection from a guy named Edgar Church. 27_laughing.gif

Timely

In May 1977, you'd be four months too late.

Timely

Yes.

Can I have a lift, I want to get to the day November 5th, 1955...that's the day I invented time trav...err.. better make that May 16th, 1977. I think I'd be first in line to aquire a little known collection from a guy named Edgar Church. 27_laughing.gif

Timely

Forget the Edgar Church collection.....just go back in time to the newstands and make your own pedigree for 10 cents a copy.

Not worth the trouble. Can you imagine fighting off the Clean and Press Conspiracy crowd if you surfaced with that collection???

Forget the Edgar Church collection.....just go back in time to the newstands and make your own pedigree for 10 cents a copy.