• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Batman / Detective Comics Collecting Thread

146 posts in this topic

For whatever reason, always my favorite cover from that period.

Throw away stories in 430 and 431 both, but just love this cover.

batman430.jpg

Did you have your shop at this point? I remember the rumor going around that this book was "scarce" because DC wouldn't let the distributors up their orders, which they wanted to do because Death in the Family was swept from the shelves in days.

It's got the same "Death in the Family" font on the cover....

This is golden age of Batman for me--a period of time when the cover art, interior art, and storylines just gelled so well together.

I have to say that while I was just a kid at the time of Death in the Family and did feel shocked they went through with killing off Jason Todd, I was happy they did it. He was a punk and didn't work well with Batman--not in the same way Grayson did in my older brothers' Batman comics. It added a new layer of tragedy and depth to Batman that had been forgotten about in some ways, and the Tim Drake Robin was such a vast improvement. He was smart but worked with Batman--earned his place. Such a great run.

And I agree with the praise for Jim Aparo--that man was as consistent an artist as you could get, and sometimes, artists just don't consistently portray their characters (think about the quality of interior art v. cover art). And the style kind of reminded me a bit of Neal Adams... but just different enough. Probably two of my favorite cover artists to come out of this period would be Breyfogle and Kelley Jones. Distinct, dark styles that both suit Batman in their own unique way.

I'm looking forward to reaching the point where I can begin reading for fun again as CA Batman is right there waiting to be 1. read or 2. purchased so I can read it again. I LOVE my Marvel Comics, but Batman / Detective Comics during this period of time was right there with the very best of Marvel--no question. :sumo:

And it's not that the material was BAD prior to Knightfall... I think it's just that the titles were pretty locked into a fans-only readership--not really bringing in new blood or interest, so to speak.

I wasn't a big fan of the Knight's Quest / End storylines, but the Knightfall? Classic stuff. Some of the best in my book.

Knighfall was, and still is, the dog's bollocks. Just going through the covers of those books gives me goosebumps, and brings back many, many great memories.

Knighfall was, and still is, the dog's bollocks. Just going through the covers of those books gives me goosebumps, and brings back many, many great memories.

So wait...is that good or bad...?

I'm confused.

Bollocks.

I'm confused.

Bollocks.

I think it's good. I have a law partner that says "That's the cat's azz" in the same context. I find it equal parts disturbing and puzzling.

I'm confused.

Bollocks.

I think it's good. I have a law partner that says "That's the cat's azz" in the same context. I find it equal parts disturbing and puzzling.

I've been known to say "that's the cat's azz". Puzzling you say? the connotation is what could be tighter/better? Really sick lol but that's why its lasted this long as a saying

For whatever reason, always my favorite cover from that period.

Throw away stories in 430 and 431 both, but just love this cover.

batman430.jpg

Did you have your shop at this point? I remember the rumor going around that this book was "scarce" because DC wouldn't let the distributors up their orders, which they wanted to do because Death in the Family was swept from the shelves in days.

It's got the same "Death in the Family" font on the cover....

Scarce may have been accurate, not because of publishing, but from dealers

like me cutting back.

It is good. Very good.

And next time I'll spell Knightfall correctly.

Knightfall was my last great "Hurrah!" before stopping buying new comics pretty much entirely.

It was terribly, terribly exciting. The leadup from #488, Sword of Az, VOB...it was all just done so very, very well.

And, like many other issue, I realllllly have a hard time turning down copies of #492 when I pass them in the $1 bin. REALLLLY hard time. #488-490 are auto-grabs.