• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Batman / Detective Comics Collecting Thread

146 posts in this topic

While I love he cover art to the Holy Terror, I definitely felt like the storyline was much more rushed in comparison to Gotham by Gaslight. It was a very interesting premise and all, but just didn't quite come together for me the way I had hoped it would.

doh! Just thought of the movie it reminds me of. Equilibrium.

They had a Papal state in power.

I didn't really enjoy "Master of the Future", bit of a let down IMO after Gotham by Gaslight.

I agree. I seem to see something new in the art in Gaslight every time I read through it. In one panel there's a sign that says "Sickert Company." Sickert was the artist who the novelist Patricia Cornwell states was the real Jack the Ripper in her non-fiction book Portrait of a Killer. :o

I didn't really enjoy "Master of the Future", bit of a let down IMO after Gotham by Gaslight.

I agree. I seem to see something new in the art in Gaslight every time I read through it. In one panel there's a sign that says "Sickert Company." Sickert was the artist who the novelist Patricia Cornwell states was the real Jack the Ripper in her non-fiction book Portrait of a Killer. :o

That's a great book, I thoroughly enjoyed Cornwell's take on the Ripper case. I'm fascinated by Jack the Ripper, so Gotham by Gaslight is one of my favourite Batman out-of-continuity stories. Very well written and fantastic artwork.

I'm fascinated by Jack the Ripper
:eek:

Yeah I suppose I could have worded that better. Moreso who it was and what drove them to do it. And the fact they were never caught leaves that air of mystery about it.

Yeah I suppose I could have worded that better. Moreso who it was and what drove them to do it. And the fact they were never caught leaves that air of mystery about it.

Jack was caught

No wonder the coppers couldn't find him if he'd buggered off to Mars.

Jack was caught

No wonder the coppers couldn't find him if he'd buggered off to Mars.

I thought he stole H.G. Wells' time machine?

just curious, were individual issues of Batman: The Cult really $10-$15 books (I'd guess arounf 1989 - 1992? (I was out of the loop then

Yes.

1989 only, by 1990, it was all over.

The chronic hoarder in me is saying buy a stack of them for 50 cents, the sane person in me is saying "only buy one of each, that's enough, you probably have 10 more at home already."

For some reason I get excited when I see these Batman prestige format books cheap. I dunno why, gadjillions were printed presumably.

:o I love this series :cloud9: The art is simply awesome. I usually don't like team-ups or mixing characters from other universes together, but I thought they did this well here.

My two favorite art panels are the ones where Bruce is in a hallway fixing his head piece, the line work and shadowing are terrific, and the panel where the Predator is in the doorway about to blast Gordon. That was a great way to give dimension to the alien IMO.

(thumbs u

Well, I just went ahead of moved that much closer to completing my Batman 400s run as I made a deal to buy up about 45 books I was missing from the run. I should only be missing a handful now from before the Death in the Family story arc.

:headbang:

Well, I just went ahead of moved that much closer to completing my Batman 400s run as I made a deal to buy up about 45 books I was missing from the run. I should only be missing a handful now from before the Death in the Family story arc.

:headbang:

Are they raw or slabbed copies ?

Well, I need to sit down and run the numbers, but I recently picked up about 40+ issues from the Batman 400s run, so I should be nearly finished with this stretch of the series! Only wish I had the time to read them all! Night of the Beast is probably first on my hit list though--it's been forever since I read it last and I seem to recall it being one of my favorite ones (prior to Knightfall coming out).