• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old man Spidey?

18 posts in this topic

I've often thought it could be fun to read a story about Spidey in his 60's, 70's, 80's... What would he be doing with his life?

For Batman and Superman there's DKR and Kingdom Come. I haven't read Old Man Logan. Is that any good?

So my questions are

A) Have there been any stories about an aged Spidey?

B) Would you like there to be?

You read Spiderman Reign?

No. Aha, yes, that's the sort of thing! Is it any good?

I haven't read any Spidey since the end of the copper age, but I'm still very fond of the character and wouldn't mind picking up some of the better trades I've presumably missed.

IMO, Spider-man Reign wasn't too good.

Pat

Care to explain why?

I thought it was a good read with an interesting sad story and really great artwork from Kaare Andrews. Very dark view into a possible future..............

oh well guess I need to read better spidey stories. If ya have a recommendation I am all ears.

Doesn't Earth X have an older Spider-man and his daughter has taken over as Spider-Girl?

Pat

Is Earth X a good read?

Earth X had some good concepts and character updates, but became a chore to read near the end. It's a mild recommendation for reading.

I ended up getting caught trying to get the complete runs of Universe X and Paradise X along with their one-shot spin-offs and for me the storyline got too convoluted and the series stretched too far thin with long 12-arc issues that could've been tightened up in like a 4-issue mini.

Just picked up Spider-Main: Reign #2-4 the other day, looking to try and find #1 so I can begin the read.

IMO, Spider-man Reign wasn't too good.

Pat

Care to explain why?

I thought it was a good read with an interesting sad story and really great artwork from Kaare Andrews. Very dark view into a possible future..............

oh well guess I need to read better spidey stories. If ya have a recommendation I am all ears.

No disrespect, it just wasn't my jam. I do like Kaare's artwork.

I enjoyed Earth X. Universe & Paradise X weren't very good at all. I liked the "Punisher" character and how different all the characters were from what we normally know.

Pat

Well I just read Reign. Thanks for the suggestion, it was exactly the sort of thing I had in mind! Not brilliant, but worth the read. Artwork in particular was very good.

I have to say it pretty blatantly 'ripped off' DKR. From the grinning newsreaders providing exposition, to Spidey's reappearance in a bolt of lightning, the children, the way the end played out,.. I could go on. The main difference was that Spidey was much more of a flake than Batman.

I'd rather see a future where Spidey has made something more of himself, as I feel the character would.