• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which boardies do you want to give a shout out to this year?

202 posts in this topic

The year is winding down, and it's a good time to reflect on this past year and give a shout out to the boardies who have made an impact on you this year ... helping you with your collection, giving you moral support, or just being an inspiration to be around.

Post your SHORT list of the boardies who have had the greatest influence on you in 2010.

I'll get things rolling with my list:

[font:Arial Black]etanick[/font]

Nick and I have had some great conversations this year, and he has gone out of his way to help me with my collection. He got me started on my Marvel Treasuries collection when he sent me a mint copy of the Howard the Duck treasury - just because he knew I didn't have one. A selfless, generous boardie - with a pure love of comics.

[font:Arial Black]comicwiz[/font]

I've chatted with Joseph in various threads over the years, but it wasn't until this past month that we did a deal for some comics. I've bought a few batches of books from him now, during which time we've exchanged emails and phone calls, and I've even met his mother! I think the word "integrity" is a good one for Joseph. He's an honourable, stand-up, ethical boardie, and I've been happy to get to know him.

[font:Arial Black]Bruno_s4[/font]

I met Bruno at one of the 1-day Toronto cons, and then again at the Fan Expo. His enthusiasm is infectious. And there was some sort of synchronicity at play when we both had our Avengers #4 signed by Stan Lee and Joe Simon this year.

[font:Arial Black]cheetah[/font]

Another boardie who has gone out of his way to help me. Glad to know him, and one of these days I'll get to a US con and meet him in person. Thanks Jeff!

[font:Arial Black]gaz973[/font]

Garry is one of the first people I met on the boards, but this year I got to know a whole lot more about him – and I'm glad I did. The comic talk on the boards is fun and enlightening, but I'm honoured that this hobby has allowed me to really get to know people like Garry, and that I can call him my friend. I was pleased to meet him in person in July.

[font:Arial Black]flaming_telepath[/font]

Not much I can say about Nick that would surprise anyone here. For me, the word that comes to mind is "generous". He's generous with his time, knowledge, money... He helped me with some major Avengers purchases this year. He probably could have sold the books elsewhere for more money, but he knew that I was a true fan and collector and that the books would be going to a good home. And in July he treated me to an afternoon at a country pub near his home that I will never forget. (Thanks, too, to gaz973, 1koko and John for being a part of that afternoon.)

To Cheri/Not *Sure* and Fay/fazybones for their kindness.

To Greggy,my hand is still out in friendship even though you ignore.

To Nick/bosco for flawless Transactions on Crow goodness.

To Rick/G.A.tor for helping me with my big grail of the year.

To John/edgerx First drink is on me when you move out to Cali. (thumbs u

To Terry O'Neil for the great Yorba Linda show,and winning some cool OA.

To Tom Moore, Thank you for having my wife and I come to the reading of your book.You and your wife are an inspiration.

To Chromium/Allan for showing off his righteous collection and how he sets it up on his You Tube vids.I'm setting mine exactly as you and it's so easy to get at any book now.

To all on the boards,you have given me a place to be,to talk comics,make friends and to meet some of the greatest people I would otherwise not have met.

Thank you for everything

Dave :foryou:

I'm just going to say a few names (in no order) and I'm missing out a lot of people out, but 'some' people who I really consider friends and a pleasure to know are:

bryan91, Hank Pym, GoldenGuardian, Skynwalker, Alphatrion1, gaz2810i, MedicAR, Par2ch, Comic Book Guy, Bob-a-loo, JeseyComicBoy, thecollector, and jonjesper.

:hi:

I have met many people through this board that I really like and many that will now always be friends. I have also made several very good customers that I have really enjoyed dealing with. Wow, if only everyone was like the people on the boards.

I would especially like to give a shout out to Tupenny, DrWatson, MCMiles, Joeypost, KOR, r1970d (and Lou), Foolkiller, MrBedrock, Transplant, Gator, Greggy, Jim(UNC still sucks) and Drew, and Joanna. Oh and also Gemma who has really helped me out this year. She is very appropriately named.

I am sure I left out a few people as well. Please don't be offended, my brain is dead from Christmas shopping.

Buddies - drewincanada, gas873, tempusfugitivus, billbreck, dikran, jive, doc joe, alanna, beachbum, kelholt

Great books - Bob Storms, Dale, beachbum

inspirations - adamstrange (big time), billy parker, G.A.tor, jive (again), telerites, tempusfugitivus (again), Mr. Bedrock, korvac saga, turtleboy

Plenty of others but Andrew said to keep it short.

I could put together a short list of my buds like namisgr, dam60, delekkersette, dem1138, bronzebruce, hari naidu, blazingbob, Dale Roberts, Mr. Bedrock, Greg Reece, spidey on tilt, mutant keys, paul litch and a few others I could mention who make the comic convention scene what it is for me (a whole lot of fun).

Instead, a shout out to some other folks:

1) adamstrange: Alan, you have the type of collection and eye I would love to have. There is no other collector I am more envious and respectful of here, because of what you look for in a book. I would next say it's Bob Siman, but he's all Marvel focussed, and I just love the DCs and tremendous diversity of Alan's collection. I didn't see Alan much this year on the convention scene, but his collection and his mentality is the one I respect the most.

2) flaming telepath: Love him or hate him, you have to respect his conviction. In terms of moral fortitude, outside of bronzebruce, I don't know a more stalwart human being in the comic book world. I also love his business partner, who gives me more wisdom in 5 minutes of conversation than others give me in a lifetime of comics. Tons of respect for both of you guys.

3) Ben Lichtenstein: Only a rare lurker on the boards and occasional poster, he's a good friend of mine of comic book store owners, Ben's one of the best guys out there. If you're looking for one of the best store owners running a quality shop with great back issues, go to Wayne NJ and find Ben Lichtenstein of Zapp comics.

4) Jim and Drew: Most enjoyable board members to hang out with that I only see a few times a year.

I haven't been here very long but theres been a few people who have gone above and beyond to help me out and get me acclimated back into the hobby after a 7 year absence. I probably left a few out so dont get offended guys but heres my short list for shout outs :applause:

cheetah

Shocase22gr1959

Peter Loves Gwen

Etanick

JiveTurkeyMoFo

kryptospidey

esquirecomics

Thanks guys for all your help and dealing with my PITA questions and PM's! (worship)

I don't get much opportunity to meet any of you in person due to being a little on the remote side, residing in a city of less than 200,000 people in Northern Ontario Canada.

Heck, I don't even know any of the local collectors here!

I have dealt with some of you on-line such as BOOZAD and DEKEUK among others.

I have to say I really enjoy buying from/selling to you fellow boardies, I haven't had a bad experience...a lot more trusting here than on eBay...that's a good thing.

Hopefully I can find more time to spend here in 2011, it's been a nutty year for me.

A special mention should go out to Bronzilla for donating $50 on behalf of Ze-Man to purchase a low grade copy of Richie Rich #1 from me for $150.00.

Bronzilla deserves a nifty No-Prize for that display of humanitarianism!

I was going to say what a stupid idea this was until I got a shout out from Dale.

+1

Now I have to be nice to him for another year.

Great idea for a thread Drew. (thumbs u

I know I will miss someone and please don't be offended.

Thirdgreenham - He's the type of guy that represents these

boards best with his generosity and kindness and he's made my time

on these boards even more fun and enjoyable. He's also made my

collection that much better giving me a chance to buy so many sweet

books.

Humantorch - What a great person with a very honest outlook

on the hobby and I've enjoyed getting to know him better and he

doesn't seem to mind my long winded PMs for some reason. :insane:

Flaming_Telepath - Along with Divad, Nick is probably the main

reason I found this place and I've known him the longest in the collecting

community and I consider myself lucky to have met him through e-bay

all those years ago and consider him a good friend. Even with his moral

compass wound too tight I think it's pointed in the right direction. (thumbs u

Comicdonna - From the first month I joined Mike has always shown

me a ton of kindness and what a great board member and an all round nice

guy he is. CGC made a great choice awarding him the board member of the

year. :luhv:

Bigfiver69 - What can I say? He's the leader of our SA and BA War

comics section and his knowledge has been awesome and I've learned so

much from him, also picking up some very sweet books. A very decent

human being with a very big heart.

Lizards2 - Mike and I sort of joined together and he finally convinced

me to join these awesome boards and I've learned a ton about the hobby

from him. Another member I consider a good friend that I met through e-bay.

Bosco685 - I love his positive attitude and always cheerful posts

and is a great member around here. Thanks for all the kindness you've

shown me over the years.

Kryptospidey and TRmoore - For all their hard work exposing those

crooks on e-bay and making comic collecting a little safer place for many

collectors. Both outstanding members with awesome books and it's been

a pleasure getting to know you guys a little.

Greggy and Oakman29 - Two members I admire and look up to

and I hate to see you two at odds this time of year. It's none of my business

and thanks to Greggy for letting me usually pay on paydays and for the

few sweet books I've purchased during me time here. (thumbs u

Sckao - What a great board member with a kind heart and we all

owe him and Flying Donut a big thank you for all their hard work on the

VCC's and any fund raisers we have. (worship)

AdamStrange - Just a pleasure to see his books and read all his

comic knowledge. It's been fun dreaming while admiring his books. :luhv:

Foolkiller - Another member it's hard not to look up to with his

wicked sales threads and very fair prices, when so much of the hobby

has turned into making money and Brian seems to give back to the

hobby he loves. Always enjoy his logical posts. (thumbs u

There are so many more collectors I admire and respect and of course the

many members with their quick wits and great sense of humor that make

this place a riot many days.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all.

I'd just like to give a shout out to all of you knuckleheads.

Every one of you make this place something special.

I'd just like to give a shout out to all of you knuckleheads.

Every one of you make this place something special.

I give you someone to look down on.

Dr.X: we had a few PMs back and forth this year and some pretty good laughs.

Gator: For some down to earth conversations last January about the comic business, life, and an appreciation for what you have.

the shadow knows: Dennis lives in my area and has been a great friend. Dennis is a stand-up guy who really loves people, comic books and sports cards. Dennis introduced me to a lot of pretty cool GA and SA horror stuff and expanded my appreciation for artists like Matt Baker, Wally Wood, Bill ward and other greats. Dennis has been an outstanding friend to me and I'm proud to count him among my friends.

Gemma: For helping me add to my meager CGC knowledge this past year, and patiently answering some very noob-esque questions.

Senormac: Mike is a local here and I owe him lunch and beer at Steelhead for flaking out on him on a planned lunch. :foryou: Mike is a true collector and it is always cool having lunch with him or seeing him at shows. He brings his books to our occasional lunches and still has that enthusiasm about comic books generally reserved for teenagers. And he likes good beer! :applause:

Sborock: Really, what else can you say about one of (if not the nicest) guys in this hobby? Thanks for the great phone conversations, Steve. We need to have another soon! :grin:

DuneFan: If one thing can be said about Dan it is this: he's a kind, honest, and generous person. I'm glad to have met him through these boards and look forward to seeing him at other shows. Dinners at Wankers (pronounced 'wangers' for you heathens :devil: ) are always a blast. :headbang:

Flee-Marquette: I don;t think anyone gives this guy enough thanks for the amazing graphics that often supply tons of laughs here. I want to give an especially big thanks to flee forhelping me out with some graphics and for the ultra cool birthday greetings! (thumbs u

A big shout out to all my fellow boardies whether you are making me laugh, making me shake my head, imparting knowledge and comic wisdom upon me, have me on ignore, are giving your time and money to help someone else out or any myriad of happenings here, I am thankful to be a member of what without a doubt is the greatest group of comic folks you could ever imagine finding in one place. (worship)

I already posted this a week or so ago, but thought it would be ok to repost here...

I wanted to give some end of year kudos and take the time out to say a few things.

I never did get to formally apologize to Burntboy (Harry) and Dale Roberts back in 2009 when everything in m,y life went to hell. I was buying FF #1 from Harry and had commited to a very nice FF#5 from Dale. To you both I sincerely apologize for having to back out of the deals, and failing to keep you informed of what was happening..

I would also like to show thanks and appreciation to some of the Boardees around here who still make this a great place to be.

To those who have shown patience with me and sold me some great books that I otherwise could never have gotten - Nick (Flaming Telepath), George (JiveTurkeyMoFo), Bob (namisgr) and also Cristian (CdaBruce), and everyone else who accepted my ridiculously pathetic time payment arrangements.

To Kenny (Ze-Man) for letting me share in signing nik's cel. Thanks bro.

To those when I came back who gave me advice, constructive criticism and words of encouragement - Greggy, Bob (bomber-bob), Barton (GhostTown), David Miller, Tom Moore, Fay, Steve (rube11), Marc (Skynwalker), Dave (thehumantorch), Christian (Darth Corgi), Steve (DiceX) and everyone else I may have forgotten

To Richard Evans (MrBedrock) - To everyone who doesnt know, he is a great dealer and a great person to hang out with. Every year that I have participated in Secret Santa, he has always been there to help out. If anyone ever gets stumped on what to get someone, be sure to hit him up.

To Flee for his help on my avatar(s)

I would also like to give a special thanks to Dan Drummond (drummy) who is a good friend and is the epitomy of what makes these Boards a great place.

I know I'm going to leave some out. No slight intended. :foryou:

I'd like to acknowledge all my war buddies from the SA War thread. You guys (and Fay) ROCK! (no pun intended ;) )

I'd like to thank some of my favorite sellers such as GAcollectibles, ft88, and thirdgreenham for always having something I want to buy and at reasonable prices.

Thanks to Boozad, *not_sure*, the fingh, Watson, He11blazer, Roy, and RMA (You heard me haters (tsk) ) for making me laugh and/or for being so damn entertaining. :cloud9:

Thanks to my Water Closet buddies/adversaries (you can decide which), Bronzilla, Drice, and Thing for bantering to and fro during the year.

Special thanks to WrightsonFan for being a good buddy and one of the great guys on the boards. Thanks Scott

More thanks for ComicConnoisseur for our Red Sox conversations.

And finally, eternal thanks to Nik for the influence he still has on the boards. RIP buddy (worship)