• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr.

22 posts in this topic

Read through my ASM #505 last night. I must say that was some of the worst art I have ever seen. Is it just me or has his artwork drastically declined since he first started the series. His art might have never been in McFarlane's league, but it was alright before. There is almost no character in MJ or Peter Parkers faces in the newest ish. They are just ovals with eyes, nose, and mouth attached. I am dreading JR Jr.'s work on my favorite comic Punisher as well as Wolverine. Maybe the guy just needs a break like the one Perez is taking between JLA/Avengers 3-4.

It's not only John romita junior that has ruined Amazing SpiderMan....I blame the writer as well.

My favorite run of amazing spiderman was back when I was a kid when Mark bagley drew around the time where venom got stuck on the island. One of my favorite issues as a kid was the one with venom holding the spiderman skull on the cover. It was a sweet time before the spiderman clone saga ruined everything. Lately I've been perfering Ultimate Spiderman to amazing cause I just miss bagley so much.

I definitely agree with you. I prefer USM over ASM as well. Maybe Marvel is letting ASM as well as other original titles suck so that eventually they can cancel them because everyone will be already reading the Ultimate Universe. gossip.gif

I definitely agree with you. I prefer USM over ASM as well. Maybe Marvel is letting ASM as well as other original titles suck so that eventually they can cancel them because everyone will be already reading the Ultimate Universe. gossip.gif

I hope not. It was the spiderman clone saga and all the revamps that made me leave comics for almost ten years. Marvel is going down hill, oh how I crave the time before all the speculation, clone saga, death of superman, and revamps.

(sigh)

I wish none of these things ever happened....the total events made me leave comics

I hope not. It was the spiderman clone saga and all the revamps that made me leave comics for almost ten years. Marvel is going down hill, oh how I crave the time before all the speculation, clone saga, death of superman, and revamps.

(sigh)

I wish none of these things ever happened....the total events made me leave comics

I agree Marvel is putting out a lot of [!@#%^&^], but on the whole they have some really talented writers and artists putting out some good stuff. I enjoy anything in the Ultimate line as well as Punisher, FF, Avengers, Wolverine, and sometimes even Daredevil, Uncanny X-men, and New X-men. If you choose wisely while at your LCS you can get a lot of really good reads. Lots of people in here give very good recommendations about what is good and what sucks. I wish I would have looked here before I bought that piece of [!@#%^&^] Alpha Flight #1.

confused-smiley-013.gif Am I the only one that thinks JR Jr.'s work has steadily declined.

Finally, we agree on something. wink.gif

I truly believe that JRJR is one of the top 3 worst artists working on comics today and have cited several specific examples (issues & page #s from ASM) in the past on the Boards to make my point. These days, though, the art is so bad, you can just about turn to any page of any recent issue to see an example of his truly awful current work.

Gene

confused-smiley-013.gif Am I the only one that thinks JR Jr.'s work has steadily declined.

I truly believe that JRJR is one of the top 3 worst artists working on comics today and have cited several specific examples (issues & page #s from ASM) in the past on the Boards to make my point. These days, though, the art is so bad, you can just about turn to any page of any recent issue to see an example of his truly awful current work.

Gene

Wasn't his art good or at the very least acceptable at first? I didn't think it sucked so bad a few years ago. I also don't remembering Jr's art sucking in the 80s. Could the colorist be messing up his work? confused-smiley-013.gif All I know is that the art in ASM is substandard NOW and I don't understand how an artist lets his skills degrade or changes his style so much that it has a negative effect on the finished product. It would be cool if someone would post some scans of his work in the 80s and 90s as well as the beginning of his current Spidey run and then the art in this current ish so everyone can stare and compare.

Gene

Wasn't his art good or at the very least acceptable at first? I didn't think it sucked so bad a few years ago. I also don't remembering Jr's art sucking in the 80s. Could the colorist be messing up his work? confused-smiley-013.gif All I know is that the art in ASM is substandard NOW and I don't understand how an artist lets his skills degrade or changes his style so much that it has a negative effect on the finished product. It would be cool if someone would post some scans of his work in the 80s and 90s as well as the beginning of his current Spidey run and then the art in this current ish so everyone can stare and compare.

Also don't forget the writer. Is it to much to ask for a classic spiderman villian to grace the pages of Amazing again? How long has it been since we have gotten a classic spiderman confrentation. It seems like lately all spiderman has been doing is fighting other superhero's enemies, helping out little kids in trouble. And stupid covers that have nothing to do with the story inside.

HOW I DISPISE THE CURRENT TEAM ON SPIDERMAN!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Gene

Also don't forget the writer. Is it to much to ask for a classic spiderman villian to grace the pages of Amazing again? How long has it been since we have gotten a classic spiderman confrentation. It seems like lately all spiderman has been doing is fighting other superhero's enemies, helping out little kids in trouble. And stupid covers that have nothing to do with the story inside.

HOW I DISPISE THE CURRENT TEAM ON SPIDERMAN!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

OK you have some very good points there. No Goblin, Rhino, Vulture, Kingpin etc..., but I honestly don't think I can handle another Doc Ock story arc so hopefully they will shelve the good doctor for a few years do to over exposure. Look on the bright side things can't really get any worse with a new team.

Mike Deodato Jr. is the new artist on Amazing Spider-Man while JR Jr takes his "sabbatical" to work on Wolverine and the Punisher.

Kev

Cool - Mike Deodato is an artist that I really do like and think has substantial talent (except on those occasions when he draws the Hulk's head about 1/30th the size of his body, but that's just nit-picking).

Gene

Mike Deodato Jr. is the new artist on Amazing Spider-Man while JR Jr takes his "sabbatical" to work on Wolverine and the Punisher.

Kev

Great.. so now instead of ruining ASM, he'll be drawing c r a p for Wolvie and the Punisher??? Oh boy... just when I was starting to enjoy Wolverine and the Punisher all over again, here comes mighty Marvel throwing [!@#%^&^] art at me. Guess thats 2 more titles Ill be dropping in favor of some DC's. Way to go Marvel.

frown.gif

Not at all...And the inking work was lazy, too--the zig-zag scribble lines that are supposed to represent shading??

JRjr flat-out says in the Daredevil DVD that his work ethic is to work as fast as possible to make more money.

Oh--forgot to mention. I really did like the issue with the superhero tailor, though.

But all the supernatural stuff--Spidey versus Loki in a battle of the dialogue, or Spidey and Dr. Strange do...I dunno, something--has to go. It actually makes me DISlike Peter Parker to hear him make immature, flippant comments during moments of extreme significance, like a spoiled brat being rude during solemn moments.

Kev

Great.. so now instead of ruining ASM, he'll be drawing c r a p for Wolvie and the Punisher??? Oh boy... just when I was starting to enjoy Wolverine and the Punisher all over again, here comes mighty Marvel throwing [!@#%^&^] art at me. Guess thats 2 more titles Ill be dropping in favor of some DC's. Way to go Marvel.

frown.gif

Posts like these suggest that many collectors are no longer completists... that they are willingly allowing holes to develop in their runs. It used to be that you kept buying the comics just to keep the run going (and because comics were cheap enough to do so without causing a dent in the pocketbook.)

With all the renumbering and reboots, a lot of the old collecting mentality is going out the window.

Personally, I thought JR Jr.'s work was at its best in 1983-84 when he was doing Amazing Spider-Man. When he took over Uncanny X-Men after his first stint on ASM, I didn't like his art. It has all looked the same to me since then. His Hulk is one of the worst renditions I've seen.

Am I the only one that thinks JR Jr.'s work has steadily declined

There was a similar thread a while ago about Romita Jr.'s poor quality and after reading this thread, which I completely agree with, I am instantly reminded of a comment he made in a DVD I was watching: Meeting the deadlines. I'd rather he be two weeks later and deliver better quality. That being said, it's not all his fault. I am completely uncertain where Straczynski's taking Peter/Spider-Man. When I'm reading the stories, I feel as though I'm wallowing in quicksand. confused-smiley-013.gif

Glad to see you have access to the internet while in LA, Kev. So, will Straczynski be on a similar sabbatical??? confused-smiley-013.gif

JRjr flat-out says in the Daredevil DVD that his work ethic is to work as fast as possible to make more money.

That's where I saw him make the comment. Thanks Smokinghawk. thumbsup2.gif