• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 3*

214 posts in this topic

It's a pretty book overall sharp with great edges, just some short spine ticks really. (shrug)

And was used to clean someones coffee table. lol.

I thought it was more scanner effects, so I didn't deduct for that.

Probably so.

The colour-breaking spine tick at the bottom should keep that book from being a NM, let alone a NM+. Period.

I think that we've really learned from this game that it's tough to grade a book from a scan compared to when in hand. Some scanners will amplify defects, other defects will look trivial in a scan but might look worse in hand.

That's all this game really is...guess the grade based on the scan. Not the actual grade of the book.

(thumbs u

The colour-breaking spine tick at the bottom should keep that book from being a NM, let alone a NM+. Period.

I think that we've really learned from this game that it's tough to grade a book from a scan compared to when in hand.

Another spin could be it's tough to guess what CGC would grade a book? Seriously Roy, that spine tick is deep. Personally I've re-evaluated my own books when I've checked the scans after I've graded them, scans are unforgiving whereas lighting situations and the human eye can be.

I think that we've really learned from this game that it's tough to grade a book from a scan compared to when in hand. Some scanners will amplify defects, other defects will look trivial in a scan but might look worse in hand.

That's all this game really is...guess the grade based on the scan. Not the actual grade of the book.

(thumbs u

So that colour-breaking spine stress isn't actually there? (shrug)

I gave it an 8.5 and thought I was being nice. doh!

Almost right there with you. I gave it a 9.0...

Yea.

My very first thought was 9.4

Then I zoomed in on the scan. (Thought I was being smart)

After noticing the spine tics I thought maybe 9.2.

Then I saw what I thought was a very dirty book and went with 8.5.

Oh well, another lesson learned.

It's a pretty book overall sharp with great edges, just some short spine ticks really. (shrug)

I was originally thinking 9.6 but just couldn't do it. I thought that spine tick near the bottom would have dropped it to a 9.4. (shrug)

(thumbs u

If the scanner being used is anything like mine, it just might not be color breaking. My scanner always seems to reflect light back off NCB stresses on black covers. Shows up as white when it isn't...

(thumbs u

I would have to say that it likely breaks more color in the scan than it does in hand, otherwise those 1st and 3rd books would not have graded 9.4 and 9.6 respectively.

(thumbs u

I would have to say that it likely breaks more color in the scan than it does in hand, otherwise those 1st and 3rd books would not have graded 9.4 and 9.6 respectively.

Scans don't lie.

(thumbs u

Scans don't lie.

No, but they do bend the perception of what you are seeing.