• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's for dinner? (This thread includes secret recipes. Shhh!)

52 posts in this topic

Oh man, you've got me drooling! tongue.gif

My Mom used to cook roasts, meatloafs, and lots of other kinds of meat in a pressure cooker with all the veggies and onions piled in. Oh that was good - meat got so tender it just fell apart on your fork. smile.gif

Yup, fell apart indeed. It was a sumptuous feast. I tend not to buy expensive food like that but I just felt like it when I was at the store. Before summer comes (it's already hot in Southern Cal, but not overwhelmingly so yet) and you don't want the oven on all day.

You know, it's not difficult to make (see the recipe) so I think you should try it. You don't need a pressure-cooker, just a normal oven. Just cook it forever (I think my roast was 3 pounds, and I cooked it for 5 hours).

-- Joanna

Oh man, you've got me drooling! tongue.gif

My Mom used to cook roasts, meatloafs, and lots of other kinds of meat in a pressure cooker with all the veggies and onions piled in. Oh that was good - meat got so tender it just fell apart on your fork. smile.gif

Yup, fell apart indeed. It was a sumptuous feast. I tend not to buy expensive food like that but I just felt like it when I was at the store. Before summer comes (it's already hot in Southern Cal, but not overwhelmingly so yet) and you don't want the oven on all day.

You know, it's not difficult to make (see the recipe) so I think you should try it. You don't need a pressure-cooker, just a normal oven. Just cook it forever (I think my roast was 3 pounds, and I cooked it for 5 hours).

-- Joanna

I like using our Crock Pot for this kind of stuff. Cooks it slow and easy. Hard to overcook it. Doesn't heat up the kitchen like an oven does. smile.gif

I like using our Crock Pot for this kind of stuff. Cooks it slow and easy. Hard to overcook it. Doesn't heat up the kitchen like an oven does. smile.gif

I used to make it in the crock pot, with Lipton's onion soup mix, but this recipe just tastes better, IMO.

have you ever tried Patron Reposado? worth a try if you like Don J.

It is a blend and truely sublime.

Yes - it is very nice!

Now that the season is about to change (although you wouldn't know it with all the danged snow we've been having), I'm tempted to go for a new "flavor."

I'm thinking about Don Eduardo Anejo. Can't beat that blue agave...

Larry

I used to make it in the crock pot, with Lipton's onion soup mix, but this recipe just tastes better, IMO.

The crock pot rules! Almost impossible to screw things up.

BTW - I think I'll be "dining" on a steady flow of alcohol this evening! insane.gif

Hi Zeman:

I didn't mean to say that it wouldn't work. I'm just kind of a nerd about tequila and I like the way a reposado tastes on its own. Reposados tend to be more expensive than the blancos, so I like to enjoy them straight up in smaller quantities. Sort of like sipping scotch.

I'm a fan of the top shelf margarita too. My recipe is 1/3 tequila, 1/3 fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/6 Cointreau and 1/6 Grand Marnier. I put it into a shaker with ice, shake it up, and then the whole thing goes into the glass (I like them on the rocks, no salt). Yummy! But your recipe is pretty much the same thing as what I like, only yours has an oaky note to it. thumbsup2.gif

Patron silver is one of my mainstays for margaritas and the reposado is great too, but for sipping. I think that it's a sin to put reposado into a margarita, but I'm weird that way.

Well , I would say that what I make with top shelf stuff is not your sryupy sticky sweet resturant style margarita.

Just lime juice as a mixer.

More like a Mexican Martini.

Here is an article about Patron, so you dont think me totally crazy for making drinks with it. insane.gif

PATRON - Reposado

Description:

PATRON - Reposado is aged in oak barrels for a minimum of six months. Patron Reposado is aged and blended to incorporate the fresh clean taste of Patron Silver with a hint of the oak flavour found in Patron Anejo.Reposado style tequila has been popular in Mexico for many years and is experiencing asn excellent reception by most tequila connoisseurs world wide. Patron Reposado may be enjoyed as a sipping tequila or mixed with high quality mixers. It makes an excellant "Ultra Premium" margarita.

Patron Tequila, like the great wines and congacs of the world, is exceptional for a reason. It begins with the finest growing region in Mexico. High in the mountains of Jalisco exists a region which allows with perfect soil and climate which allows the sugar and acid balances of the Weaber Tequilana Blue Agave to mature and produce an 'Agave Ppina' unequaled elsewhere in the world. Like premium wine grapes the sugar acid balance must be perfecxt beofre harvest. Patron tequilas are the only tequilas truly produced in the traditional handmade fashion. After harvest the 'pina' are carefully selcted, trimmed and then slowly steam baked. When cooked to perfection the 'pina' is macerated with large natural stone milling wheels. The fermentation is done with the fiber of the 'pina' which helps impart its unique flavour and smoothness. After a double distillation process the tequila is aged in small oak barrels. When properly aged the tequila is fine filtered and ready for careful hand bottling.

Each bottle is invidually signed and given a unique bottle number due to the limited number produced.

Anyhow, to each his own, as long as we both enjoy it!

Zeman

Hey, Fantfootballer... you got no argument from me there.

Both styles are above par.

And after we get past 3 drinks.. if need be ... we can switch to Cuervro.. to save some money to buy that elusive comic we might have our eyes on.

27_laughing.gif.. as with wine, and comics, I cant ever afford to drink what I really like all the time.

So , sadly I choose my battles and settle for less more times then not.

But feel free to call me anytime to go out for drinks, and I will buy the first round.

Zeman

p.s. since you got my hungry for Guac..

I made some tonight to go with some grilled/smoked chicken quesadillas I made for me and the wifey while we watched b-ball.

Pacers/Kings, and NCAA whoo whoo.. flip surf, flip

(and also wanted to pass along a tip to the less skilled chefs out there.. when you use a knife to score your avacado while it is in it skin, either use a dull tiped knife, or hold the cado half in your hand with a towel underneath to avoid slicing your hand, I cannot tell you how many countless times over the years when I was in a hurry(weeded) as a chef I sliced not only the avacado, but also a small part of my palm.

After practice you get a feel for it, kinda like shucking an Oyster.. but when in a hurry, mistakes just happen once in awhile.

Zeman