• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 20 years.. Goodbye Spidey

128 posts in this topic

So I have finally quit reading ASM. Marvel switched to 3 issues a month, and it broke me. The stories werent that good, the art was a turnoff, and it was just too expensive. So after 20 years I part ways with ASM. I started collecting this title at the age of 12, my first issue aquired for a $10.00 bag of comics from the paperboy which included ASM 300 (my first spider man comic). I fell in love with the McFarlane art and was an avid reader throughout the Larson era, which shortly after saw my exit from comics. Mix in a few years later a rabid lust for completing runs, and you have 2 long boxes of ASM.. So after the past 4 years of rebuilding, filling, and reading moderns it is over. It was fun while it lasted, but I cant take it anymore.

Goodbye webhead. I will enjoy selling those long boxes. :cloud9:

Marvel switched to 3 issues a month, and it broke me. The stories werent that good, the art was a turnoff, and it was just too expensive
QFT! what a huge F up. Thats when i canceled spidey too. :( Then hulk turned red and i stopped buying new comics all together.

So I have finally quit reading ASM. Marvel switched to 3 issues a month, and it broke me. The stories werent that good, the art was a turnoff, and it was just too expensive. So after 20 years I part ways with ASM. I started collecting this title at the age of 12, my first issue aquired for a $10.00 bag of comics from the paperboy which included ASM 300 (my first spider man comic). I fell in love with the McFarlane art and was an avid reader throughout the Larson era, which shortly after saw my exit from comics. Mix in a few years later a rabid lust for completing runs, and you have 2 long boxes of ASM.. So after the past 4 years of rebuilding, filling, and reading moderns it is over. It was fun while it lasted, but I cant take it anymore.

Goodbye webhead. I will enjoy selling those long boxes. :cloud9:

:o

Just but them as backissues for a third of the price.

What he said. Keep the run, take a year or two off, then hit the dollar boxes at the local convention to fill in the gaps. You can always reread the old issues you have to enjoy the spidey of yesterday.

In all honesty it was nostalgia. I still read alot of moderns and cant even re read those spidey books.. When I read the carnage stuff again, I wanna puke. He was a cool character at 13, but god awful now! Also I would rather get a room back then hold these longer lol

In all honesty it was nostalgia. I still read alot of moderns and cant even re read those spidey books.. When I read the carnage stuff again, I wanna puke. He was a cool character at 13, but god awful now! Also I would rather get a room back then hold these longer lol

Put the Spideys up for auction for Mike. :applause:

Seems like nostalgia and inertia keep us going on some titles even though we don't truly enjoy it any more.

I quit Spidey about 5 years ago and haven't looked back.

Comics like ASM are always in a cycle, good to bad to good to bad...

Next thing you know, ASM will be back to what it used to be and be a top seller again. As a long-time comic collector, you can ride it out or pick it back up later. Back issues are always cheaper anyway.

Seems like nostalgia and inertia keep us going on some titles even though we don't truly enjoy it any more.

I quit Spidey about 5 years ago and haven't looked back.

It's always a bit poignant for me to read threads like these. The last Spidey I bought off the stands was McFarlane's Spiderman #1, back in 1990 (!) or so. At the time I just wasn't crazy about the art & stories, and didn't like where the various creative teams seemed to be going with the character... it felt like a case of "I didn't leave the character, the character left me". But honestly, compared to what I've seen of some of the more recent stuff, those early 90s books almost seem like a lost golden age.

Kravens last hunt was IMO the best Spidey story I ever read. Nothing ever seemed as good to me.

Its funny because Kraven was my favorite villian as a youngster and I almost always enjoy his appearences but that last Hunt storyline didn't really appeal to me. For reasons I can't quite explain, it seemed to me that it was a Batman plot put into a Spidey book.

Since I live in a fairly small house, I understand the desire to regain space. Just don't fall into the trap of refilling it with more junky comics.