• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what shows are you looking forward to in 2011 and why?

37 posts in this topic

Looking forward to Comic Con (haven't gone in almost 7/8 + years). Also might drop by Wizard's Anaheim Comic Con again (got tons of cheap comics this year there) and Long Beach Comic Con (lots of artists to get OA and signatures).

I don't get to travel, so the Boston Comic Con is the one I'm looking forward to. I'd like to go to Heroes; I could combine it with a visit to my sister, but doing that next year seems sketchy and is contingent on financial resources and the ability of traveling with my son. Chicago is high on my list but only a pipe dream right now.

Outside of that, a jaunt to NY would be nice and not impossible.

Spring Motor City (only an hour away)

WW Chicago

The Fearless Readers show in Dayton, OH. Best one day show ever. RECOMMENDED.

If I can fit them in, C2E2 and Mid Ohio.

I am looking forward to WonderCon is San Francisco, The San Diego Comic Con and possibly the Wizard Anaheim show...

I would love to make it out to the NYCC one year but don't see it happening in 2011...

I also can't wait for future signings throughout the year at places like Frank & Sons (Stan Lee) and Golden Apple Comics in Los Angeles...

Well I'd love to find a location (in the Midwest or Las Vegas) that Larry Hama is attending so I can get around to meeting him and maybe a signature or two on some GI Joe original art comic pages I have!!!

I keep hoping that his name will suddenly appear on the CE2E attendance list.

local shows

Baltimore, we enjoyed it last year

WW Philly might go at least 1 day......last year was a show imo, not expecting this year to be any better

prob not going to NYCC just didn't enjoy it bc of the crowd well didn't enjoy sat, sun was alot better and didn't go fri bc i wasn't about to drive through rush hour or get son out of school bc of a con

There's going to be an announcement in early January re: some changes that have been made for Fan Expo Canada 2011.

I loved the town and the con would have been great if not for the overcrowded show floor and general lack of organization.

At the very least the show will be back to the traditional space in the South building where there's room to expand the show floor and have a proper food court. The entire South Building has been booked. We can also bring back a proper VIP entrance to the show floor and we won't have the issues with elevator access to the show floor that we did in North as the exhibit level has a large overflow area outside of the con floor. There are some new faces that have been brought in behind the scenes to work on organization / communication and the ticket processing problems. The main news has to wait until the official January announcement and beyond.

Looking forward to hearing the big news!

Any chance you'll be expanding on the actual comic part of the con (and perhaps even physically separating the comic dealers and artists from the other stuff)? :wishluck:

I'll still attend, no matter what, but there was a real dearth of serious comic dealers last time around.

Hey Drew,

I think there are plans to widen the aisles between the dealer section and the corporate one, they were too close this year for sure. But the dealers actually are grouped together on the exhibitor floor by the different Expo sections. There is a comics dealer section. A fair number of dealers do crossover between genres but yeah, while I would much prefer to group the dealers with the sections even more than they are (like all vintage together), a lot of the blocks are grandfathered and selected by the dealers who do the show annually. They have selected their space or request to be next to another dealer friend. There are no plans to move comics dealers off the exhibitor floor and into an isolated area, so it will look pretty similar to the setup in 2009.

While I have approached a fair number of vintage dealers about doing the show, and I will continue to do so going into 2011, I can't force people to fill out applications and commit to doing the event. Space is at a premium at Fan Expo, but we are interested in adding more vintage dealers and I'm happy to vouch for vintage dealers who want in to make sure they get a space.

Kev

Would have to say the Comic Geek Speak Supershow http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/supershow/guests.php

It has a real old school comics only feel to it, and with small attendance numbers you really get to have long one on one talks with the creators who attend. Last year Walt Simonson spent 15 minutes talking to me about Marvel in the 80's and Louise Simonson had some great stories to tell about Bernie Wrightson, who drew her as the character on the cover of House of Secrets #92 (1st Swamp Thing).