• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Conan hold up?

34 posts in this topic

I'm two books away from finishing my BA X-Men run and I am looking for another title to work on after I finish and pay off a large GA purchase.

I have never read a single Conan story, but I have always been a fan of the "sword and sorcery/fantasy" genre.

I was wondering, how well does Conan hold up? Are the stories good? Do you feel it is as good today as it was when it was published? Some titles do not age well. I would like a title I enjoy reading as much as collecting.

Just looking for some friendly advice.

Thanks

Check out the Savage Sword and Conan the Barbarian trades instead of buying the books, IMHO. It will be a cheaper way to go, and you can have all of the stories at once instead of buying them piece by piece.

I did think of that, but I am also looking for a new series to collect. Part of the fun is hunting down the issues and filling in holes.

BTW I have a line on a Conan #1 raw VF/NM for $100 locally. Is this in line with the current market? I checked GPA, and it would appear so, but the copy is raw not graded.

Thanks

Check out the Savage Sword and Conan the Barbarian trades instead of buying the books, IMHO. It will be a cheaper way to go, and you can have all of the stories at once instead of buying them piece by piece.

post BWS on CTB and post the first 10 or so issues of SSOC many of these are $1-$4 each even in relatively "nice" shape (with many of the CTBs, particularly from 50 up to the last couple of issues being dollar box books outside of highish grades), so unless you are getting a good discount on the TPB, the originals might be cheaper or about the same, though more work to put together a run of, of course.

I felt like the art got kind of "blah" on CTB in the 80's and the stories a little less interesting, though some folks here swear by them (particularly King Conan) and, honestly, I admit most of my actual reading was 100 and earlier and SSOCs.

The first 100 are great, not sure after that. If you want to save money, raw copies can be had for decent prices. I got 23 and 24 recently....both real sharp at 60 bucks for the pair. The 23 is probably 9.2 but probably won't be for long....I keep pulling it out and thumbing through it. BWS was certainly producing a labor of love. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. JUMP ALL OVER THE CONAN 1 @ $ 100 if it is an accurately graded 9.0....great place to start.

CTB #1 to #100 for sure.

Don't forget the GIANT-SIZE CONAN issues from the BA as well.

I think there were 6 of them.

I think one of them has that BWS cover where you can see the pebbles on the bottom of a pond that Conan is standing in.....talk about above and beyond the call of duty.....GOD BLESS...

Just like the movie, the comics hold up VERY well (thumbs u

On a side note, can someone explain to me why they are remaking without question one of the greatest movies ever made?!?

On a side note, can someone explain to me why they are remaking without question one of the greatest movies ever made?!?

.....mo' money. Seriously, The first Conan is a favorite movie of mine also, although I would LOVE to see Peter Jackson take a stab at a remake....ESPECIALLY if it's faithful to the R.E. Howard material and is at least 2 and a half hours in length :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

.....mo' money. Seriously, The first Conan is a favorite movie of mine also, although I would LOVE to see Peter Jackson take a stab at a remake....ESPECIALLY if it's faithful to the R.E. Howard material and is at least 2 and a half hours in length :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

That would be nice but if it's anything like that trainwreck of a remake "King Kong", i will FREAK OUT!!! :frustrated:

post BWS on CTB and post the first 10 or so issues of SSOC many of these are $1-$4 each even in relatively "nice" shape (with many of the CTBs, particularly from 50 up to the last couple of issues being dollar box books outside of highish grades), so unless you are getting a good discount on the TPB, the originals might be cheaper or about the same, though more work to put together a run of, of course.

I felt like the art got kind of "blah" on CTB in the 80's and the stories a little less interesting, though some folks here swear by them (particularly King Conan) and, honestly, I admit most of my actual reading was 100 and earlier and SSOCs.

I have been getting a decent discount on the trades (up to 50%), and you can probably buy them even cheaper online but shipping is the great equalizer. You can probably find most of the SSOCs between #50 - #200 in the $0.50 - 1.00 bins if you look hard enough, and the CTBs will definitely be $0.50 fodder after #100 (if not #50), so it might work out to the same in the end anyway.