• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 4* Results

51 posts in this topic

Round 4 Commentary

Contestants to watch: Canickus, dwip99, Mutie Fan, Timmay, JWK, namisgr, Senormac, Silver, and skypinkblu, all of whom have notched two straight bullseyes the last two rounds!

:sumo: Um...

:foryou:

Round 4 Commentary

Contestants to watch: Canickus, dwip99, Mutie Fan, Timmay, JWK, namisgr, Senormac, Silver, and skypinkblu, all of whom have notched two straight bullseyes the last two rounds!

:sumo: Um...

:foryou:

Sweet

I thought I was playing it safe giving it a 7.5, mostly because of the spine defects. Figured it might possibly grade at 8.0 but more likely to me 7.0 would have been its proper grade slot.

7.0 from me too. damn, no way I saw that as even possible better than an 8.0, and figured 6.5 was probably the real grade.

+1

With the spine crunch in the center, my first, second and third take was a 7.0. Bumped it to 7.5, but I really didn't feel good about doing it... :roflmao:

I'm terrible with grading (obviously) so can someone tell me how this gets an 8.5 with all of those color breaking spine creases?

Maybe those were the only flaws? (shrug)

I'm ready to ban myself from this contest. I pulled out about a dozen 7.0 slabs that all had no spine creases at all. Just a few creases on the corners and edges. I went 6.5 on this book also.

DR.X.......................putting his head in a screw down vise like Uncle Fester.

DR.X

I'm terrible with grading (obviously) so can someone tell me how this gets an 8.5 with all of those color breaking spine creases?

By subbing it to CGC. I went 8.0 with a bump.

As usual, I went 8.5 with a bump. That first overgraded book killed me for this competition. No way in heck was that a 9.4 and anyone submitting that grade in the first round should be disqualified from selling any books on here. :insane:

As usual, I went 8.5 with a bump. That first overgraded book killed me for this competition. No way in heck was that a 9.4 and anyone submitting that grade in the first round should be disqualified from selling any books on here. :insane:

No kidding that first book was a 9.0 if ever I saw one.These damn contests make me question my grading skills. :pullhair:

I was concerned my 7.5 guess would be overgrading it! doh!

Absolutely horrible looking 8.5. An 8.5 should have a few small spine tics and maybe a very small crease at the tip of a corner. :sumo: