• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which big time superhero do you dislike the most?

157 posts in this topic

Silver Age Spider-Man. What a whiny person_without_enough_empathy.

Isn't that kind of what made him so relateable? (shrug)

Yup - he whines just like real life...., just like most of comics general....., :P

Spider-man...while I agree that Superman was too powerful (I preferred Batman and GL :luhv:)...Supes was pure fantasy escapism.

Spidey was too much like a real teenager, except he had an extraordinary talent and he was smart...he just screwed up way too often and kvetched, constantly....If I wanted to hear about someone like him, I could just pick up a phone;)

I prefer Indiana Jones to All My Children, too;)

Anyone that says Superman is :screwy: in my book. I like heroes who dont whine and have a lot of drama. Just get the bad guy in some creative way and then on to the next adventure.

Superman is really a funny animal book in disguise.

Captain Marvel (Fawcett / DC) mainly when he was brought back by DC in the early '70s. Even more puerile than Supes in the 1960s.

Robin. The Batman franchise needed a kid sidekick for its readership, but it meant that the leading character wouldn't regain what was originally good about him for over 30 years.

Green Arrow (before the O'Neill / Adams makeover). Bland Batman clone with arrows. And a superfluous kid sidekick.

Punisher. All right, not a super-hero, or even a hero in the proper sense of the term, but nevertheless a big player in the Marvel universe who at one point had 5 titles running at the same time. Only devised as a monolithic minor character and foil for Spider-Man, got turned into a franchise 'cause kids like big guns and Marvel were lazy.

The Incredible Hulk. Bit controversial this one. :P Peter David's run on Greenskin's original title remains one of my favorite in comics. But that's 'cause he had the bizarre notion of giving him intelligence. Prior to that, it was Hulk Smash, which never really allowed for much breadth with the character. And since then he's gone from intelligent to maroon and back again, and then spawned a whole multi-colored clone army.

After going thru 8 pages of this (half of which was the usual krap) I have to say that this was the most thoughtful response and I agree with much of what our Brit brethren had to say..........

If I had to pick a character that I liked least it would be The Atom in the DC world (a member of both the JSA and JLA) and Ant Man (an original Avenger) in the Marvel universe.... :sumo:

Just realized these are virtually the same character........ :o

....except that the Atom could travel down telephone wires to catch crooks, which was sort-of interesting. :insane:

Hey Harry. :hi:

The X-Men as a group. Way too many titles and boring characters. . .especially Cyclops and Colossus.

As an X-Men fan, I understand what you're talking about. A tighter team and more cohesive storylines would do wonders.

That's how they lost me over 20 years ago.

Aquaman. I mean... c'mon.

If big time means everyone knows the name... then...

Aquaman. I mean... c'mon. A super power focused on having super powers everywhere that people aren't?

My kid watches the old corny super friends cartoon... that kid Marvin is more powerful.

Someone should do a gritty, realistic, re-do of aquaman where he spirals into an uncontrollable depression over an inferiority complex and sells himself to a sushi restaurant.

No bloody way! I've had it up to here with this modern style of gritty superheroes. Grit is something I like neither in my eye nor in the pages of comic books. Get me heroes who smile, sell Hostess Fruit Pies and pose for Xmas greeting cards - in between saving the earth from megalomaniac wrongdoers of course.

:makepoint:

Hey, I like the Legion of Super Pets! And Aqualad too before he reached his teens and started to take himself more seriously.

(tsk)

Krypto was fine and I could understand Supergirl having a pet, but Bippo??? What was up with the chimp.

The hero I dislike the most is Captain America.

First of all, his jingoistic All-American outfit just rubs me the wrong way.

Secondly, he burst on the scene on all those Nazi and Jap fighting covers and I've always thought that mixing superheroes with the war genre was bizarre.

Thirdly, the artwork on the DC heroes that survived the war evolved to a more polished look by the late forties. But Captain America didn't survive much beyond the war so his renditions didn't progress beyond the comparatively crude.

Fourthly, after being resurrected in the sixties, he continued to fight some Nazi, the Red Skull! Excuse me "But the war ended twenty years ago!" were my thoughts at the time.

Finally, Marvel almost immediately had the Cap assuming the leadership mantle of the Avengers - despite the fact that he'd been frozen in an iceberg for some nineteen years and was very clearly still living in the past! Arrrrggghhhh!!!

rantrant