• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best series of all time?

121 posts in this topic

When taking into account all issues of a series, from the first issue to the latest (yes, that means I'm asking you to include moderns if the series is still running), what's the best series of all time?

To help weed out some of the great but short lived books, let's consider only those series that lasted 100 or more issues.

And for those series that restarted with a new volume and a number 1 only later to be renumbered using the original numbering, let's consider those one series. For example, Amazing Spider-Man.

So, what's the best series of all time?

:popcorn:

Batman. Continuity from the GA to present, every era represented, some of the greatest stories and characters, well known across the world, and still continuing today.

I personally collect Detective, but find the Batman seres is more heavily accepted. It also seems to carry alot of better storylines in the modern era.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better superhero run than the first 100 issues of Fantastic Four. To me, that's the best. It had everything, art, story, originality and it has withstood the test of time.

Series that come to my mind are:

Uncle Scrooge: started by Barks then to reprints but with the addition of the great work of the Italian and Brazilian crew until Rosa becomes the new master.

Conan: BWS followed by Buscema with assists by Chan and Alcala until the resurgence with Cary Nord, Tim Truman and now Giorello.

Tarzan: Love him or hate him but Jesse Marsh put his mark on the character, then Russ Manning then Kubert. That's an impressive line-up.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better superhero run than the first 100 issues of Fantastic Four. To me, that's the best. It had everything, art, story, originality and it has withstood the test of time.
Seriously, the book isnt very good anymore. Hitch did ok with it, but it stinks again. The 1st 100 of FF were ground breaking, but the dialogue isnt very good reading these days.

+10

Seems like there's support for this notion, but what about the rest of the series up to the present? There's plenty of books that have had good runs, but what about overall?

+10

x10

Seems like there's support for this notion, but what about the rest of the series up to the present? There's plenty of books that have had good runs, but what about overall?

The FF had some weak periods toward the end of the first run, but overall nothing supremely bad or ridiculous. Ok, maybe the female Thing was a mistake, but nothing on the order of Harry Osbourne raping Gwen Stacy or erasing 10 years of history.

The FF had some weak periods toward the end of the first run, but overall nothing supremely bad or ridiculous. Ok, maybe the female Thing was a mistake, but nothing on the order of Harry Osbourne raping Gwen Stacy or erasing 10 years of history.

The Byrne era was the last strong FF era. Essentially everything after has been mediocre at best.

Seriously, the book isnt very good anymore. Hitch did ok with it, but it stinks again. The 1st 100 of FF were ground breaking, but the dialogue isnt very good reading these days.

Funny, I thought the Hitch run stunk up the title and was thrilled to see him go. After Hitch, Hickman and Eaglesham/Epting have done the best FF since the Bronze age. "Solve Everything" was superb.

That was the first run that popped into my head as well.

Including up to #586 dillutes the quality obviously, but that's true of any series out there. And the DCs have the 1960s to pull down there averages as well...

Gotta go with the FF.

Batman. Continuity from the GA to present, every era represented, some of the greatest stories and characters, well known across the world, and still continuing today.

Seriously? What about the 60s?

You got a problem with go-go checks?

+10

:screwy: x10

Really? Really??

29-1.jpg56-1.jpg93-3.jpg