• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Considering how to go about resuming my collection

21 posts in this topic

My personal collection is X-men comics. They are what I like to read and what I have the most of. I am trying to set some reasonable goals so I want to collect all of the back issues of the 10 currently printed X-men series (Obviously not Uncanny X-men I am not prepared for that type of investment).

So does anyone know where to find or how much these sets might cost.

My purchases today (these dont fit the categories but were good deals)

X-Men Unlimited Comic Book Lot. Includes #2-5, 10, 11, 24, 27 & 28.

X-Force Comic Book Lot. Includes #6, 9, 20, 23, 24, 25, 27-32, 36, 37, 44, 88, 94, 95, 96, 98, 101, 103 & 107

Mutant X Comic Book Lot. Includes #3, 9, 10, 11, 13-17, 19, 20, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 & Annuals 2000 & 2001

For a grand total of 53 books if my count is right.

Total paid w/ shipping = 14.66

So about 27.5 cents per comic. This could take a while to patch the holes and I might end up with lots of duplicates at this rate.

Round 2

My second purchase of the day.

X-Force Issues: #1 (1 opened and 6 sealed in bag) , 2, 3, 16, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26 & Annual #1

X-Factor Issues: #1 , 2, 3, 19, 20, 23, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 , 54, 55, 56, 57 & Annual #4

65 total comics

Paid 20.00

31 cents each

With a name like Menace ..WTTB!!

You might want to hunt around for his intro thread. :gossip:

Cant I get some real opinions.

The only thing my first post proves is that some people here are very rude.

With a name like Menace ..WTTB!!

You might want to hunt around for his intro thread. :gossip:

The only thing my first post proves is that some people here are very rude.

My opinion is to look on Craigslist for those "large comic collection, must sell" ads.

You have a 99.9999% chance of picking up all of those issues in any typical Craigslist post for about $500-$1000.

It might be highly beneficial to put a want ad in the WTB section of the boards. You can likely buy one of your desired goals in a single purchase. Or huge chunks. It will help to reduce doubles and keep you focused.

Pat

Yep, I was thinking of the same. I am checking out 3 collections this weekend. I gotta drive 100 miles to the nearest big city.

You're seriously driving 100 miles for those? hm

No the ones I listed above I bought online. Thought they were the right price.

I am looking at 3 collections. One is very interesting the guy wont list anything about them he just wants them out of his garage. The others are large mid 90's colleactions. Each is over 1000 comics. I imagine I will average 10cents a comic.

Well I am also going to best buy to buy a computer. Gonna scope out a few spots while I am up there.
:golfclap: You also may want to conisder is it the collecting you want to get back into or the reading ?.. If its reading lots of stuff is out in trade or hard cover or omnibus format you may want to look into that as well...

Collecting all this stuff will take up a ton of room & space & time & also cash & you will simply in most cases not get back what you paid for it if you ever want to sell it :S

I am not opposed to GN i recently bought the Onslaught 1995 TB set. I read it on vacation over Christmas, it was a blast. I still want to own all those comics. So essentially I will buy the main torylines to make sure i dont miss anything and then try to fill in the comics.

I have bought a few sets, Fatal attractions (the storyline that attracted me to comics), The Phalanx Covenant, most of the Onslaught comics, the complete Age of Apocalypse set. Other than that i have a hodgepodge of random stuff.

I'm sure there must be loads of dealers and collectors out there with lots of these books and they'd probably do you a good deal to shift a whole bunch of them.

I agree with whoever it was that said it's probably worth starting a thread in the "want to buy" forum. No harm in doing it anyway, it's free.

You've already started a WTB thread, which will be a big help to let everyone know what you are trying to track down.

Also contact some of the sellers on here that are very trustworthy and known to have a large amount of books they offer regularly.

- Brad/Klodz24seven

- Mike/Flatrock

- Michael/Mschmidt

- Ed/FT88

There are more others can recommend. These sellers can at least get your want list and keep an eye out.

A buddy of mine started his entire X-Men collection a couple of years ago: main titles and spin-off series. He completed most of it by only bidding on FULL runs on eBay and he was successful enough. Don't bother with the headache of trying to fill holes with patching up lots here and there. Have patience, pay slightly more for a full set and enjoy life!

Well I am also going to best buy to buy a computer. Gonna scope out a few spots while I am up there.
:golfclap: You also may want to conisder is it the collecting you want to get back into or the reading ?.. If its reading lots of stuff is out in trade or hard cover or omnibus format you may want to look into that as well...

Collecting all this stuff will take up a ton of room & space & time & also cash & you will simply in most cases not get back what you paid for it if you ever want to sell it :S

This is the best response. This stuff is gonna take up ALOT of room!