• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- Favorite Novel - Sci-Fi and Fantasy

67 posts in this topic

Just wanted to get a list together of some good books to read, and figured I would ask a bunch of comic heads their thoughts. Please list the author if you can remember them.

Here's mine...

Sci-Fi -

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

Fantasy - TIE BETWEEN

White Gold Weilder saga - Stephen Donaldson

and

Magician series - Raymond Feist

acclaim.gif

I liked all 6 books, but for different reasons.. The first 3 because they were so well written, and the 2nd 3 because they were failry well done, and finished up the series.

NOM! gossip.gif

893whatthe.gif

wink.gif

I really enjoyed the Rama novels.

Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke

Rama II - Clarke with Gentry Lee

Garden of Rama - C/L

Rama Revealed - C/L

The final three books really flesh out the concept of the first novel and feature one of the best heroines I've read in SF, Nicole des Jardins.

Jim

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

Great book!! thumbsup2.gif I read the series and it kind of went down hill a little bit after the first book...they were planning on doing a movie based on Enders Game...I dont know whats happening with the project now. confused-smiley-013.gif

Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion, by some guy named Toekeen, or Tolkind... something like that... insane.gif

God, it sucks when something you really love goes mainstream and you end up looking like a bandwagon chaser... 893frustrated.gif

Hey, I like Zelazny's Amber series too! thumbsup2.gif

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. One of the best stories I've ever read. I cannot recommend it highly enough for fans of epic fantasy. I have turned about a dozen people on to this series and every last one of them (including my girlfriend, who doesn't typically like fantasy novels) is hooked.

Super-hero enthusiasts need to check out Roger Zelazny's "Lord of Light," which re-imagines the Hindu/Buddhist pantheon on a future world colonized by East Asians from Earth. Best prose super-hero novel ever!

"Master of the Five Magics" by ??? ...I'll try to find the guys name tomorrow...

"A Spell For Chamelion" by Piers Anthony....the true beginning of Xanth before it got silly... thumbsup2.gif

Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion, by some guy named Toekeen, or Tolkind... something like that... insane.gif

God, it sucks when something you really love goes mainstream and you end up looking like a bandwagon chaser... 893frustrated.gif

Hey, I like Zelazny's Amber series too! thumbsup2.gif

Can't believe it took 11 posts before someone listed the greatest fantasy novels of all time! 893frustrated.gif