• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- Favorite Novel - Sci-Fi and Fantasy

67 posts in this topic

Try the first fantasy book to ever be on the New York Times bestseller list:

The Sword of Shannara-by Terry Brooks. Followed by his second and third books, The Elfstones of Shanarra and the Wishsong of Shannara. These three books are The reason that I read a novel a week. Absolutely the best books ever written!

Good call, I've got the 2nd trilogy too. thumbsup2.gif

I still can't figure out why the Tolkien estate hasn't sued Terry Brooks for either copyright infringement or plagiarism...

True, however in the Wishsong doesn't everyone die? My favorite was Garet Jax the Weapons Master!

Also, anyone ever read any Tanith Lee's Flat Earth stuff? Talk about kinky sex and all around weirdness.... crazy.gif

The Sword of Shannara-by Terry Brooks. Followed by his second and third books, The Elfstones of Shanarra and the Wishsong of Shannara. These three books are The reason that I read a novel a week. Absolutely the best books ever written!

I still can't figure out why the Tolkien estate hasn't sued Terry Brooks for either copyright infringement or plagiarism...

Please remember that Tolkien was an english professor who spent his early acedemic life translating norse and british methology into english, for e.g. Sir Gwain and the Green Knight. A lot of the hobbit can be traced back to famous texts such as Beowulf.

Who should be suing who??????????????

Any of you read Dennis McKiernan's Iron Tower trilogy? Now, that is a Tolkein rip-off if there ever was one.

All of Robert E. Howard's John Carter of Mars series (except for the last one which kind of sucked.)

Edgar Rice Bouroughs (sp?) wrote John Carter thumbsup2.gif

I thought so too... confused.gif

Man, there are too many to list all the greats, but here are some of my top picks:

R.E. Howard: Conan sagas (all are great)

Burroughs: Tarzan (the first 8 or 9 books rock)

Mary Stewart: The Crystal Caves (and ensuing two books in the series; after that they got a bit slow)

Jack Vance: The DemonPrince Series (five books, beginning with "The Star King"; the best sci-fi series that most SF fans have never read)

P.K. : Just about anything, though "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is the latest I've read and one of the best

Moorcock: The Elric of Melnibone books are simply freakish - in a good way!

Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game is one of the all-time best

Asimov: The Gods Themselves (quick, mesmerizing read)

Alfred Bester: Tiger, Tiger (aka "The Stars My Destination") and The Demolished Man

Robert Silverberg: Dying Inside (best fictional account of ESP I've ever read)

Jack Finney: Time After Time (don't let the lame Christopher Reeve film of the same name put you off - it's only very, very loosely based on this incredible book; best account of time travel ever, IMO)

Jack Finney: Time After Time (don't let the lame Christopher Reeve film of the same name put you off - it's only very, very loosely based on this incredible book; best account of time travel ever, IMO)

Now I've never read the book but really liked the movie..... insane.gif

Jim

Also, HP Lovecraft's stuff is sort of sci-fi....

I love Lovecraft smile.gif

432113-CHA0087.gif

Cool sig!

As far as narrative goes, Howard Phillips wasn't too dialog happy...but once you wade through the description, the blocks of cryptic text, etc., you're in for a startling fright!

Time After Time (don't let the lame Christopher Reeve film of the same name put you off - it's only very, very loosely based on this incredible book; best account of time travel ever, IMO)

Your thinking of SOMEWHERE IN TIME with Reeve and Jane Seymour, based on the Richard Matheson novel Bid Time Return. Matheson also originated THE NIGHT STALKER series with the first 2 made-for-TV movies with good old Carl Kolchak! 893applaud-thumb.gif Gotta love Carl!

TIME AFTER TIME was the (IMO) very good and funny film starring Malcolm McDowell as HG Wells, Mary Steenburgen as his modern day love interest Amy and David Warner thumbsup2.gif as Jack the Ripper. Some great moments in that film, especially HG Wells meets MacDonald's!!!!!!!!!

I Love anything by ERB -Tarzan , ETC. cloud9.gif

H. P. Lovecraft!! cloud9.gif

R. E. Howard!! -Conan Books cloud9.gif & I'm reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke right now,& I also like Larry Niven!!!

One of these days I'm going to start reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon,I liked his Crying of Lot 49, years ago!!!

J. G. Ballard "CRASH" is a good read also ,definately a aquired taste, but a Mind 893censored-thumb.gif None the less!!!!

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

J. G. Ballard "CRASH"

I read Childhood's End years ago. I remember really liking it. I remember little else.

I LOVED Gravity's Rainbow. It's completely insane and sometimes practically incomprehensible, but it's worth it in the end. I'm queuing up Crying of Lot 49.

Crash is one crazy book. Not for most folks I'd imagine. I'm still amazed that they decided it would be a good idea to make a film out of it. You'd think just the premise would stop any producer from giving it the green light 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Time After Time (don't let the lame Christopher Reeve film of the same name put you off - it's only very, very loosely based on this incredible book; best account of time travel ever, IMO)

Your thinking of SOMEWHERE IN TIME with Reeve and Jane Seymour, based on the Richard Matheson novel Bid Time Return. Matheson also originated THE NIGHT STALKER series with the first 2 made-for-TV movies with good old Carl Kolchak! 893applaud-thumb.gif Gotta love Carl!

TIME AFTER TIME was the (IMO) very good and funny film starring Malcolm McDowell as HG Wells, Mary Steenburgen as his modern day love interest Amy and David Warner thumbsup2.gif as Jack the Ripper. Some great moments in that film, especially HG Wells meets MacDonald's!!!!!!!!!

I've been picking up the new Night Stalker comics from Moonstone Books! It's like watching an episode of the tv show without the commercials. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for my favorite SCIFI / Fantasy, I've seen so many of my favorites in the posts already on here (Tolkien, Heinlein, Herbert, etc.), I'll just add one no one's mentioned:

Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates (it's fantasy time travel and it rocks!) thumbsup2.gif

I've been picking up the new Night Stalker comics from Moonstone Books! It's like watching an episode of the tv show without the commercials.

Really!? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tell me, are the regular characters (or at least Tony Vincenzo) in the comic book? The whole Tony/Carl thing had to be one of the funniest relationships on tv.