• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When I first saw this...

16 posts in this topic

...I couldnt believe my eyes!! 893whatthe.gif But then the lack of CGC grading made my heart sink.... 893frustrated.gif I wish people would not put up a grade that is not backed officially!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

link

This person should be working for CGC...he/she got skills! 27_laughing.gif

This Marvel Comic Could Be Worth $2500 To You

Wonder if anybody collected that money? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If he wants to call it a 10.0, and it's a flawless copy, then why shouldn't he. CGC is a third party grading company, there is nothing "official" about their grades. Understandably, their reputation for fair grading is going to be a consideration when bidding on a book, as is the reputation, or lack thereof, for anyone selling raw books on Ebay, but unless the a book is obviously overgraded, there is nothing wrong with sellers using numerical grades on the books they list, even if it's the magical number 10.0. I'm not defending this particular seller, but the insinuation with some of these posts seems to be that only CGC is capable of determining what is super high grade.

Do any of you out there really believe there is a difference between CGC graded 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 copies of modern books? As a favorite topic on these boards seems to be the inconsistencies found in CGC's grading, I would find it surprising if many of you do. Whether a book is slabbed or not, all grading is subjective, and in CGC's case, the subjective view of many different people.

If he wants to call it a 10.0, and it's a flawless copy, then why shouldn't he. CGC is a third party grading company, there is nothing "official" about their grades. Understandably, their reputation for fair grading is going to be a consideration when bidding on a book, as is the reputation, or lack thereof, for anyone selling raw books on Ebay, but unless the a book is obviously overgraded, there is nothing wrong with sellers using numerical grades on the books they list, even if it's the magical number 10.0. I'm not defending this particular seller, but the insinuation with some of these posts seems to be that only CGC is capable of determining what is super high grade.

Do any of you out there really believe there is a difference between CGC graded 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 copies of modern books? As a favorite topic on these boards seems to be the inconsistencies found in CGC's grading, I would find it surprising if many of you do. Whether a book is slabbed or not, all grading is subjective, and in CGC's case, the subjective view of many different people.

When a seller sells a book on eBay and you see 10.0, you immediately think that the book is slabbed and has been officially graded. This seller has enough knowledge and foresight to bag the item in Mylar and buy it in triple since it first came out twenty plus years ago. If he is that knowledgeable then he knows how grading works, stating the item is Mint - 10.0. If he wasnt that aware, he more then likely wouldve called the book simply a "Perfect 10" or in just "Mint" condition, but calling it 10.0, he knew what that meant and what kind of a hook it is. This book is not a 10! The fact that he bent the book to make of a scan of an interior page, there goes the spine right there! A definate no-no! My compliant is that knowlegable sellers try to hook you in by throwing out un-official gradings. And yes, CGC is not perfect, but to get a grade in CGC the book has to go through more then just a cursory look. We all know the process by which the book is graded with CGC. Who knows how this guy graded it, or even if he looked at the book at all!

I have never read ONE thread on these boards that insinuated that ONLY CGC can determine what high grade is. Can you post a link to one?

sorry xsmanx, my comment is directed to whoever would try and make that point.

The point Im trying to make is that when I look on eBay and see a 10.0 there, or whatever numerical grade, I always think CGC'd first! And when it isnt, I just dont take it as that grade. I dont say that ONLY CGC can provide the grade, but I take the grades they do provide to mean more then if some seller I dont know and doesnt have the rep. CGC does, posts it. Such is the reason that most serious buyers buy slabbed vs. Raw books.

I didn't want you to think my comment was directed at you, It was directed at anybody that would think that the beef with these raw sellers is that they are calling 9.4s Gem mint 10s. That isn't it at all...... They are calling Fine /VFs and VFs Gem Mint. No one is nit picking or claiming that only CGC can identify Mint books, and it is amazing that anyone would think that to me. thumbsup2.gif

Ill just go back to my original post...when I personally see a numerical grade, i automatically think CGC. And it disappoints me when its not. Thats all I am saying. Maybe calling CGC "official" was to much, but I know it is not the last word in grading. I also bet that the majority of the people on this board think CGC when they see a numerical grade. I dont take any of this personally... everyone has their own opinion! thumbsup2.gif