• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best Superman story arc?

71 posts in this topic

- 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?'

- All-Star Superman. I'm not much of a Grant Morrison fan, but this really was excellent, from beginning to end.

- I also enjoyed the recent Geoff Johns / Gary Frank 'Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes' and 'Brainiac' storylines in Action Comics.

I enjoyed the Geoff Johns run on action comics. The braniac storyline, and I enjoyed the Bizzarro one as well.

Superman has always been lame

I disagree.

+1

"Lame" characters don't translate across comic books, radio, newspaper funnies, movie serials, TV, animation and films. Or time itself.

yep lot`s of people trying to say Supes doesn`t fit in with modern audiences

but yet Superman`s last movie did outgrossed Wolverine`s movie at the box office!

Superman still got his fastball and Supes demise is highly exaggerated! (thumbs u

I disagree.

+1

"Lame" characters don't translate across comic books, radio, newspaper funnies, movie serials, TV, animation and films. Or time itself.

but yet Superman`s last movie did outgross Wolverine`s movie at the box office!

Superman still got his fastball and Supes demise is highly exaggerated! (thumbs u

lol id rather not talk of either movie ever again...although the superman movie is at least 10x better than the wolverine movie but thats still not saying much

I agree with the candidates mentioned. but, anyone else think its a bit sad that in 73 years there are only a small handful of truly great Superman stories? Maybe that true for all titles though. Which begs the larger question --- why do we love a medium of near total mediocre storytelling?

I may have misunderstood, but I interepreted "story arc" as a multi-issue story or a series of stories that have a common thread. I think there have been a lot of great and entertaining Superman stories throughout the decades (I enjoyed them, anyway), but many of them were stand-alone tales and I didn't consider them part of a longer story arc.

I disagree.

+1

but yet Superman`s last movie did outgross Wolverine`s movie at the box office!

lol id rather not talk of either movie ever again...although the superman movie is at least 10x better than the wolverine movie but thats still not saying much

I agree both movies were not oscar winners but my point was more people still went to go see old skool Superman`s movie then the modern skool Wolverine`s movie. People have been trying to write off Superman as old and boring and losing his popularity yet still more people saw Supes last movie at the box office then Wolverine`s. (thumbs u

- 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?'

- All-Star Superman. I'm not much of a Grant Morrison fan, but this really was excellent, from beginning to end.

- I also enjoyed the recent Geoff Johns / Gary Frank 'Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes' and 'Brainiac' storylines in Action Comics.

I enjoyed the Geoff Johns run on action comics. The braniac storyline, and I enjoyed the Bizzarro one as well.
Yeah, I completely forgot about this Geoff Johns storyline, even though it immediately preceded the 'Legion' arc. doh!

Can't think of a better artist to draw Bizarro characters than Eric Powell. (thumbs u

All Star Superman

+1

Really, really good! Also, makes me remember Superman for All Seasons. Love that series too.

All Seasons was really good.

But, All-Star Supes was the best Superman story.

I have to agree with All-Star Superman. I also bought the Absolute HC version when it was released a few months back and loved reading it the second time around too. It is such a great story arc.

The best thing about it is that it read like a Silver Age book but, clearly, it's a modern book. It had that "goofy fun" quality of the SA, but more "modern" ideas and content.

Probably my favorite Morrison work. Even moreso than "The Invisibles".

I have to agree with All-Star Superman. I also bought the Absolute HC version when it was released a few months back and loved reading it the second time around too. It is such a great story arc.

The best thing about it is that it read like a Silver Age book but, clearly, it's a modern book. It had that "goofy fun" quality of the SA, but more "modern" ideas and content.

Probably my favorite Morrison work. Even moreso than "The Invisibles".

If I remember correctly, before the first issue was published, that's exactly what Morrison said he was trying for with this project.

I think he more than delivered on his promise, and that's something to be admired.