• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 GA covers

158 posts in this topic

We ran a poll a few years -- might be time to do a new.

I was unable to find that thread using but a more adept searcher might be able to.

:shy: I'd expect more from you.

Here are the results pages since we (Norinn Radd and myself) ran a Super-Hero and a non-Super-Hero poll -

Super Hero Results

Non Super-Hero Results

Thanks to Paris_Fred for still hosting these after so many years :o

Thanks (thumbs u

Do you have the links to the poll threads? There was some good discussion in them.

I was unable to find that thread using but a more adept searcher might be able to.

Here are the results pages since we (Norinn Radd and myself) ran a Super-Hero and a non-Super-Hero poll -

Super Hero Results

Non Super-Hero Results

Interesting that Action #1 was placed so highly.

Wonder whether this was because of its key status rather than the artwork?

I don`t understand the dismissive attitude of Action 1 that so many seem to have. It was my choice for the best GA cover.

It`s a great cover: well drawn, excellent composition, eye grabbing, and groundbreaking.

People seem to think it`s too simple, and isn`t drawn by the most talented artist out there. The fact is that it`s harder to pull off simple than complicated. Any hack can draw a ridiculously busy cover with 8000 things going on that attract the 7-year old boy`s eye.

Similarly, the best draftsman isn`t necessarily the best artist, and doesn`t necessarily produce the best art. I admit SOME degree of draftsmanship is necessary, which is why I wouldn`t rate any of Kane`s covers because his lack of skill outweighs whatever other merits his covers might have.

We had a lot of talks specifically about that topic. It came down to the fact that the bias towards Action 1 is obviously key-oriented but also well deserved artistically in the sense that once you put ALL other covers concurently on the newsstands next to Action # 1, it is striking how different and exciting the cover of Action 1 truly is. Sure, it becomes quite humdrum once Fine and Kirby hit the scene but in proper context, it is groundbreaking. (P.S.: I still think people are biased b/c it's THE key, i.e., I didn't vote it that high on my list).

rack03.jpg

We had a lot of talks specifically about that topic. It came down to the fact that the bias towards Action 1 is obviously key-oriented but also well deserved artistically in the sense that once you put ALL other covers concurently on the newsstands next to Action # 1, it is striking how different and exciting the cover of Action 1 truly is. Sure, it becomes quite humdrum once Fine and Kirby hit the scene but in proper context, it is groundbreaking. (P.S.: I still think people are biased b/c it's THE key, i.e., I didn't vote it that high on my list).

rack03.jpg

Right clicked and saved this picture :cloud9:

Since my Action 1 owning days are long gone, perhaps I should attempt to acquire all of the others in the shot. I have several of them already hm

rack03.jpg

Right clicked and saved this picture :cloud9:

Since my Action 1 owning days are long gone, perhaps I should attempt to acquire all of the others in the shot. I have several of them already hm

Not a bad quest! Should be pretty achievable, I think, unless some of those issues are scarcer than I realize.

Super Hero Results

Non Super-Hero Results

I don`t understand the dismissive attitude of Action 1 that so many seem to have. It was my choice for the best GA cover.

It`s a great cover: well drawn, excellent composition, eye grabbing, and groundbreaking.

People seem to think it`s too simple, and isn`t drawn by the most talented artist out there. The fact is that it`s harder to pull off simple than complicated. Any hack can draw a ridiculously busy cover with 8000 things going on that attract the 7-year old boy`s eye.

Similarly, the best draftsman isn`t necessarily the best artist, and doesn`t necessarily produce the best art. I admit SOME degree of draftsmanship is necessary, which is why I wouldn`t rate any of Kane`s covers because his lack of skill outweighs whatever other merits his covers might have.

Some how, my perception is, that inside of four posts, this thread has run off the tracks.

The question was:

Purely based on cover artwork and regardless of whether a book is a key or not what for you are the top 5 covers of the GA?

This is purely subjective. Being purely subjective, it is, well...., purely subjective. This is not whether I like or don't like what someone sees as his five favorite covers. Different strokes for different folks. Variety makes the world go round. No need to be defensive.

So go back to thread : What are the five best GA covers for YOU

Not why someone is "in error" for her choice.

Okay, so what are your favorite FIVE GA covers?

JB

Super Hero Results

Non Super-Hero Results

Some how, my perception is, that inside of four posts, this thread has run off the tracks.

The question was:

Purely based on cover artwork and regardless of whether a book is a key or not what for you are the top 5 covers of the GA?

This is purely subjective. Being purely subjective, it is, well...., purely subjective. This is not whether I like or don't like what someone sees as his five favorite covers. Different strokes for different folks. Variety makes the world go round. No need to be defensive.

So go back to thread : What are the five best GA covers for YOU

Not why someone is "in error" for her choice.

Okay, so what are your favorite FIVE GA covers?

JB

Agreed.

Each person's favourites will be determined by their personal preferences and exposure to different comics.

I love the GA section as it has broadened my comic horizons.

There are no right or wrong answers here.

Let's leave comparatives till the poll thread.