• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 GA covers

158 posts in this topic

Hey, I think you've got good taste; that's my all-time favorite GA cover. (thumbs u

silverstreak_2.jpg

This copy is a beauty with OW-W pages, but it is cover-cleaned. Now, if I can just locate and reacquire the Mile High copy of SS#7 that I foolishly sold 20 years ago. hm

Did you sell the MH Silver Streak 7 to John Fairless? He offered it to me along with 8 and 9 in the early '90s. I wish I had bought them then. A friend of mine ended up getting them and those three have been reunited with a bunch of the other Church Silver Streaks and are probably not going to be available for a very long time.

Is John still selling comics? I haven't seen him for years.

He isn't selling comics but he did make an appearance at the Wizard Austin show. He is doing well and says he may get back into it at some point.

Hey, I think you've got good taste; that's my all-time favorite GA cover. (thumbs u

silverstreak_2.jpg

This copy is a beauty with OW-W pages, but it is cover-cleaned. Now, if I can just locate and reacquire the Mile High copy of SS#7 that I foolishly sold 20 years ago. hm

Did you sell the MH Silver Streak 7 to John Fairless? He offered it to me along with 8 and 9 in the early '90s. I wish I had bought them then. A friend of mine ended up getting them and those three have been reunited with a bunch of the other Church Silver Streaks and are probably not going to be available for a very long time.

Yes, I believe that was John Fairless; the Mile High SS#8 was in that group as well, along with several other Silver Streaks and a beautiful unpedigreed Hit #18 that I'd acquired years before. I was the original purchaser of the Church books from Chuck Rozanski.

Sadly, as is often the case, I was in need of the cash at the time as I'd just moved from Oklahoma to Texas (as I'm an artist it was hand to mouth for awhile). While I turned a tidy profit, selling those books was VERY difficult.

It's too bad that they are completely unavailable now (or maybe not, as I might be tempted to buy them back since my financial situation is a bit better).

As a side note, at one point I felt very insecure about owning those comics because they'd been stolen from my car in the mid-80's and then recovered in a sting operation initiated by my brother with the kind assistance of Lone Star Comics owner Buddy Saunders while I was back in Oklahoma.

I'm much securer now in every way. :grin:

Which reminds me, I worry about those beeee-eautiful books you have and the Houston area humidity. If you should ever want to move your old comic books to a nicer environment for storage and safe keeping, I'll gladly volunteer the space, and Fort Worth isn't that far away; ...I'm just sayin'. :whistle:

silverstreak_2.jpg

Yes, I believe that was John Fairless; the Mile High SS#8 was in that group as well, along with several other Silver Streaks and a beautiful unpedigreed Hit #18 that I'd acquired years before. I was the original purchaser of the Church books from Chuck Rozanski.

Sadly, as is often the case, I was in need of the cash at the time as I'd just moved from Oklahoma to Texas (as an artist it was hand to mouth for awhile for me). While I turned a tidy profit, selling those books was VERY difficult.

It's too bad that they are completely unavailable now (or maybe not, as I might be tempted to buy them back since my financial situation is a bit better).

As a side note, at one point I felt very insecure about owning those comics because they'd been stolen from my car in the mid-80's and then recovered in a sting operation initiated by my brother with the kind assistance of Lone Star Comics owner Buddy Saunders while I was back in Oklahoma.

Which reminds me, I worry about those beeee-eautiful books and the Houston area humidity. If you should ever want to move your old comic books to a nicer environment for safe keeping, I'll gladly volunteer the space, and Fort Worth isn't that far away; ...I'm just sayin'. :whistle:

John also had a copy of Silver Streak 2 that was just about the most beautiful comic I had ever seen up to that time. Just tremendously beautiful. Unfortunately it was spoken for. The same guy now has it.

As for Houston humidity...I think it keeps the books looking and feeling very supple.

It's either that or the air-conditioning.

silverstreak_2.jpg

Sadly, as is often the case, I was in need of the cash at the time as I'd just moved from Oklahoma to Texas (as an artist it was hand to mouth for awhile for me). While I turned a tidy profit, selling those books was VERY difficult.

Which reminds me, I worry about those beeee-eautiful books and the Houston area humidity. If you should ever want to move your old comic books to a nicer environment for safe keeping, I'll gladly volunteer the space, and Fort Worth isn't that far away; ...I'm just sayin'. :whistle:

John also had a copy of Silver Streak 2 that was just about the most beautiful comic I had ever seen up to that time. Just tremendously beautiful. Unfortunately it was spoken for. The same guy now has it.

As for Houston humidity...I think it keeps the books looking and feeling very supple.

It's either that or the air-conditioning.

Yes, that beautiful SS#2 was a part of the Silver Streak collection that I owned; I'd actually upgraded from a VF copy even before the MH books were on the market; so it wasn't a Church pedigree. The #2 was very pretty though, with bright colors, perfect registration (rare for an SS #2 from my recollection of other copies I've seen over the years), nice OW/W paper; that copy of SS#2 could've easily passed for a MH book.

As for the comic migration from Houston, ...oh well, it was worth a try. lol

Yes, that beautiful SS#2 was a part of the Silver Streak collection that I owned; I'd actually upgraded from a VF copy even before the MH books were on the market; so it wasn't a Church pedigree. The #2 was very pretty though, with bright colors, perfect registration (rare for an SS #2 from my recollection of other copies I've seen over the years), nice OW/W paper; that copy of SS#2 could've easily passed for a MH book.

It was every bit as nice as the Mile High books you sold with it. Actually nicer as there were some structural issues with a couple of the others.

Now that I know you are in Fort Worth we will have meet up the next time I am up there (thumbs u

It was every bit as nice as the Mile High books you sold with it. Actually nicer as there were some structural issues with a couple of the others.

Now that I know you are in Fort Worth we will have meet up the next time I am up there (thumbs u

Thanks Richard.

Yeah, 2 and 7 were beautiful books; I do recall 8 having a slightly crushed corner or some other flaw (which was unfortunate, because it had exceptional gloss and color). The Church SS #9 had several more flaws (it was listed in Chuck's sales catalog as VF rather than NM+, if memory serves). I also had a SS #5 in the bunch I sold, but it wasn't a Church book; I don't recall the condition of that one.

There may have also been a NM/M copy of Mad #5 in that bunch (purchased from Eric Groves waaaay back when I was collecting ECs), along with the aforementioned Hit #18.

When I sold this group of books to John it pretty much cleaned out what remained of my GA collection at that time.

A curious thought just occurred to me: I wonder if John showed you those books in the manilla report folders with mylar page protectors that I kept them in for many years or if he changed them out?

My storage methods were fairly unique for the time, probably primitive by today's standards, but worked pretty well.

This sure brings back fond memories though. :cloud9:

Next time you're in the Metroplex let me know; my wife & I will throw some steaks on the grill and supply the appropriate beverages (ale, wine, soft drinks or single malt scotch). And BTW, if you're also a Hendrix fan (yes, I browsed the Bedrock website) maybe I can turn you onto a friend of ours:

http://jbonamassa.com/

A curious thought just occurred to me: I wonder if John showed you those books in the manilla report folders with mylar page protectors that I kept them in for many years or if he changed them out?

Man, your memory is good! The 2 was definitely still in a manilla folder. I can still picture him pulling the book out to show.

Next time you're in the Metroplex let me know; my wife & I will throw some steaks on the grill and supply the appropriate beverages (ale, wine, soft drinks or single malt scotch). And BTW, if you're also a Hendrix fan (yes, I browsed the Bedrock website) maybe I can turn you onto a friend of ours:

http://jbonamassa.com/

That sounds like a plan (thumbs u

How is it that just about all the lists in this thread are completely dominated by superhero, crime and horror books? There was more to the Golden Age than just those genres.

I've selected a more eclectic five from my own collection. Here are the scans:

BlackCat43.jpg

Heeeee, heeeee, heeeee. That'll teach those preppies to delve into the mysteries of the Dark Continent. Nobody ever promised 'em they'd like what they found!

HowdyDoody13.jpg

Hey, it's a Xmas puppy! One of my "file" copies.

Jumbo155.jpg

Mmmmmm, nice outfit. Now them be headlights!

LilBadWolf.jpg

One of those lesser known books but very cool nonetheless. One of my "file" copies.

Terrytoons42.jpg

Now this is a Timely! Mighty Mouse isn't just super, he's super cool.

:whee:

I'll make it easy for myself by confining the definition of Golden Age to the forties. Here are two of my very favourite covers:

6-1.jpg

Isn't this one cheating, because there are actually 5 covers?

Worse yet it's the first Black Cat I don't have. I have the first five issues.

:(

I'll make it easy for myself by confining the definition of Golden Age to the forties. Here are two of my very favourite covers:

6-1.jpg

Worse yet it's the first Black Cat I don't have. I have the first five issues.

I'm opposite: This comic is the first Black Cat I *do* have.

(I love how her eye mask doubles as her cat ears. Talk about an efficiently simple costume.)