• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question reference raw vs. pgx

51 posts in this topic

I rate a raw book over a PGX because I can only see the front and back cover of a PGX book.

I have even less than NO trust in anything in a PGX case.

^^

I have never owned a PGX book and never will. (thumbs u

You would think with the bad rep they would rename and restructure their business model...

I shy away from PGX because it's usually priced at CGC grades (Feebay) and as the above poster said about paying near Raw; I agree.

There was a video on youtube of some guy cracking his book and the book was not what was on the label. Not sure how credible the video is since why would he crack the book and just "happen" to be recording it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ4VwFHSp4

I would buy a PGX book if it were cheap AND (meaning one or more of these criteria would have to be met):

1. The actual grade of the book couldn't possibly be much worse than the PGX grade;

2. I didn't care if it had resto or not;

3. It was a book in a grade people typically don't care about (for example I have a few non-key 8.5 PGX Jimmy Olsens and Lois Lanes).

You see the first thing I suspect about a PGX book is someone PGX'd it so it could escape (or have ignored) resto detection. NEVER buy a HG or key PGX book as it has too high a chance of having resto. If it was resto free and worth a bit it should have been CGC'd.

The second thing I suspect is the fix was in on the grade. So good chance it's come back 1.0 less if CGC'd.

Now I recognize there are prob MANY more legitly graded PGX books than there are non-legit. But to me the math is still on the side of not buying the PGX. It would take a long time and a lot of brilliant buys to recover from one bad multi-hundred $ purchase.

There was a video on youtube of some guy cracking his book and the book was not what was on the label. Not sure how credible the video is since why would he crack the book and just "happen" to be recording it.

Read this and decide for yourself.

i still don't understand why it seems so hard to believe that someone would video themselves opening up a slab as a way of protecting their claim.

i mean, clearly there was a reason for going through the trouble, but it seems to be a disconnect for some

Wow, that is quite a video. It is amazing the guy was videotaping, but maybe he does that for all his expensive comics. If there's sleight-of-hand involved, I didn't see any. It looks like he really did get screwed by PGX. If anybody would care to tell me the follow-up on this story, please do -- I'd rather get a summary than have to read through a 45-page thread. From what I skimmed, it sounds like a PGX employee (former employee?) named Ryan was taking comics home to grade and had made a habit of ripping people off.

I have 2 or 3 comics that have been slabbed by PGX, and which I haven't taken out since purchasing them (yeah, yeah, stupid of me, I know...). One of these days I'll photograph them, unslab them, and send them to CGC to be graded -- and post the full results here.

i still don't understand why it seems so hard to believe that someone would video themselves opening up a slab as a way of protecting their claim.

i mean, clearly there was a reason for going through the trouble, but it seems to be a disconnect for some

+1

Especially since it's well know that TMNT #1 later printings have the same cover. For THAT book it makes perfect sense to me. 2c

Back in 2006 when I returned to the hobby, I was duped by one of the many shill-seller accounts from PGX. Seller was located in Arizona, the book was sent from Oregon.

I purchased a Pre-Code horror comic graded by PGX as (FN+) 6.5. When I received the book, I'd noticed there was a large crack on both of the bottom hinges. So I decided to cracked the book out. Once it was freed from the broken PGX tomb, I'd noticed there was an almost book length spine split. The grade of the book was no better than a (GD) 2.0. The book was over-graded by 4 and 1/2 grades. From that point on, I've refused to buy any comic that has been graded by PGX. Raw books are much safer.

Before I knew better, I submitted a lot of books to PGX and still have them I was not involved in any try to scam, nor did I have any ulterior motive for doing so. I did it because I didn't know better, the price was a lot cheaper, and most of all because you get them back a whole lot faster. CGC takes forever.

Now, it is possible that I have some PGX slabbed books in my collection that have restoration or are wrongly graded (if there is such a thing, as it is opinion and not science). But I only submitted books I had assured myself were slab worthy anyway, and that would not have been any I suspected of being restored. I did send an Amazing Fantasy #15 to PGX for grading and slabbing and they graded it as a restored label "trimmed", on two edges 4.5 with off white pages. But I suspected that book was trimmed when I submitted it. I didn't send it to PGX hoping they wouldn't notice the trim. I sent it to them/him because of the reasons in my first paragraph above. As I do not keep restored books in my collection, no matter what they are. I sold it on Ebay. For $2575 if I remember correctly. Probably a dumb move but I just can't stand a restored book. To be honest, if I had an Action #1 in 3.0 restored, I would be happy to trade it for an Action #1 unrestored 1.5. But that's just me.

The only books I have ever removed from a PGX slab and submitted to CGC, came back from CGC as blue labels and graded higher. Six out of six. Just lucky I guess.

I think the problem lies more in people not believing that someone who didn't take the time to document the comic pre-slabbing (with simple scans/pics) would go to the trouble of recording the opening. Add that to the fact that PGX (CGC, too) is hardly immune to label errors...

Wow, that is quite a video. It is amazing the guy was videotaping, but maybe he does that for all his expensive comics. If there's sleight-of-hand involved, I didn't see any. It looks like he really did get screwed by PGX. If anybody would care to tell me the follow-up on this story, please do -- I'd rather get a summary than have to read through a 45-page thread. From what I skimmed, it sounds like a PGX employee (former employee?) named Ryan was taking comics home to grade and had made a habit of ripping people off.

I have 2 or 3 comics that have been slabbed by PGX, and which I haven't taken out since purchasing them (yeah, yeah, stupid of me, I know...). One of these days I'll photograph them, unslab them, and send them to CGC to be graded -- and post the full results here.

I am pretty sure thats the guy who came on these boards and posted that video. I just dont recall his name and when it happened. One of the hardcore search function members can probably pull it up. I'd like to read it again as I seem to recall a bit of drama in that thread.

DR.X

You would think with the bad rep they would rename and restructure their business model...

PGX is at least the third name they have had, they were CGG and then PGA (for about 48 hours before those nasty golfers got involved).

Oh yea! I remember PGA! It was a long lapse in collecting. CGG kind of fogged with CGC. Now that you mention it, they have renamed themselves over and over. They have a lucrative business potential. WTH is wrong with them!

A huge variable in the equation for me, is who is the seller.
Exactly. I give PGX less credence than CGC, but I'm not sure that either are reliable.

I think the problem lies more in people not believing that someone who didn't take the time to document the comic pre-slabbing (with simple scans/pics) would go to the trouble of recording the opening. Add that to the fact that PGX (CGC, too) is hardly immune to label errors...

I agree with this. Guy sends out a 3rd print and gets a mislabel back. Sets up his video camera and tries to win an Oscar. Listen to his pauses. His reactions. How the comic never leaves the frame. How he talks to the camera. The timing is off on his reactions. Was this the only comic he ever documented this way? Does he reopen all of his PGX subs and why? I have serious doubts to the authenticity of his claims.

I'm going to read that thread that was linked before. It's another novel :)