• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie costumes revealed, Cap & Spidey

145 posts in this topic

I think most of us comic geeks are happy just to see some characters on the screen.

See, this is the one I don't get (shrug)

That is a classic fanboy response, similar to the "They couldn't make a bad [Daredevil/Punsher/Ghost Rider ]movie if they tried" comments I saw when those movies were being hammered in the press.

To most fanboys, a superhero movie exists, therefore it *must* be good. It has been produced, so we should all be grateful that it exists at all. The only bad thing is if there are no more superhero movies, not matter how horrible they are.

Yes, it is a kind of warped outlook, but that's what being a fanboy is. Pure and uncompromising support for the object of your complete adoration.

It exists, therefore it is good.

It's human nature to expect something perfect and follow the nature course of acceptance. There's nothing wrong with it and there's nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone does it.

Nope, sorry, that's not true.

No one but fanboy nerds even talks like this, and it's only on forums like this that you hear stuff like "you need to lower your expectations" when seeing a movie. No one in the "real world" talks like that, only fanboys who have an emotional tie to the material. For the majority of people it is just a movie.

And if you actually think "lowered expectations" can actually make something bad seem good, I've got a manure sandwich for you to chow down on. Just be sure to "lower your expectations" first. :roflmao:

See bold.

Your right it is just a movie so that is why I disagree with you because fanboys hold comic boook movies to a higher standard than the general public.

Fanboys have higher expectations that more often than can never be met.

Example a lot of comic book fanboys hated the Thomas Jane Punisher movie, but the general consensus from my friends who do not read comics was they loved it.

What difference what kind of movie it is cause if you go in with high expectations they are usually not met. I don't think you should go into any movie with any expectations until you watch the whole thing then you can comment.

Simply the people in this thread just to look at one picture of each costume and assume that each movie will be just as bad as Batman and Robin is pretty lame.

I am a comic book fan, I have been collecting since 1971.

I am also a movie lover, i own more than 3000 DVD's.

My expectations from a superhero movie: why can't the movie be the Shawshank redemption and be about a superhero. My expectations are always high, in that I demand to see a good movie, anything less makes me wonder why they even bothered in the first place.

Iron Man was great, everytghing i expected from a movie: good story, good pace, correct use of effects and solid performances by the actors. I bought the DVD

Iron Man 2 was a waste of my time: story had no flow, to much effects and explosions. I hated it. I will never watch it again.

The formula of "we make the movie for 100 million, we know we have a marketbase that will go see it to the tune of 120 million and we expect to make 20 million" is killing movies IMHO.

Spidey is dreadful. This one might suck harder than Spidey 3.

SpideyGarfieldsm.jpg

Just what is on his chest? Doesn't look like a spider to me. (shrug)

Why with the constant unmasking during a fight? Ugh. I think this is not going to end well. Personally, I feel Raimi should get 100% control, leave him the heck alone...and let him redeem himself. Unfortunately, that didn't happen increasingly during the three movies he directed (which was an absolute mess in 3)...so another pipe dream.

The costume in the Spider-Man movie looked excellent and seeing Spidey swinging around was awesome,

Dude, I'd spend a LOT of money just to see this.

I've been waiting 25 years to see a real superhero movie.

Everything else is just gravy.

You didn't like Superman: the Movie? To me it's still the standard that all other comicbook movies are judged against and still my favorite to this day. I still get goosebumps during the opening credits and still get chills during certain parts of that movie. To this day that movie makes me feel 9 years old again.

I may get some odd looks, but part of the original Superman movie were not good. I didn't like the Krypton part or anything to do with the Fortress of Solitude, the stupid crystals and didn't especially like that Superman wasn't fast enough to stop both missiles, but was fast enough to turn back time.

Yes, there were parts of it that were great, but I think it is over-rated.

So far, and this obviously is just my opinion, the best super-hero movies were Batman Begins, the Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider-man 2, and the Incredible Hulk (the second one), and I guess Spider-man, Superman, Superman 2, Batman, and Blade would fall next in line.

Spider-man would have been top tier if not for that ridiculous Green Goblin costume.

I think most of us comic geeks are happy just to see some characters on the screen.

That is a classic fanboy response, similar to the "They couldn't make a bad [Daredevil/Punsher/Ghost Rider ]movie if they tried" comments I saw when those movies were being hammered in the press.

To most fanboys, a superhero movie exists, therefore it *must* be good. It has been produced, so we should all be grateful that it exists at all. The only bad thing is if there are no more superhero movies, not matter how horrible they are.

Yes, it is a kind of warped outlook, but that's what being a fanboy is. Pure and uncompromising support for the object of your complete adoration.

Sadly, this is probably spot on.

The costume in the Spider-Man movie looked excellent and seeing Spidey swinging around was awesome,

You didn't like Superman: the Movie? To me it's still the standard that all other comicbook movies are judged against and still my favorite to this day. I still get goosebumps during the opening credits and still get chills during certain parts of that movie. To this day that movie makes me feel 9 years old again.

I may get some odd looks, but part of the original Superman movie were not good. I didn't like the Krypton part or anything to do with the Fortress of Solitude, the stupid crystals and didn't especially like that Superman wasn't fast enough to stop both missiles, but was fast enough to turn back time.

Yes, there were parts of it that were great, but I think it is over-rated.

So far, and this obviously is just my opinion, the best super-hero movies were Batman Begins, the Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider-man 2, and the Incredible Hulk (the second one), and I guess Spider-man, Superman, Superman 2, Batman, and Blade would fall next in line.

Spider-man would have been top tier if not for that ridiculous Green Goblin costume.

I would agree some of the details are off in Superman, but more importantly the tone and who and what the character are is spot on. The same cannot be said for a couple that are listed as your favorites.

You've just described a relationship. No matter what anyone else thinks of your better half as long as you enjoy them, that's all that matters.

(thumbs u

Superhero movies make me feel like I'm in a hotel room. No matter how many times you do it, it feels like the first time. Just lots and lots of fun.

Yes, Superman makes me feel like a 9 year old every time.

Wow, I've settled. Who'd have thunk it?

It's human nature to expect something perfect and follow the nature course of acceptance. There's nothing wrong with it and there's nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone does it.

No one but fanboy nerds even talks like this, and it's only on forums like this that you hear stuff like "you need to lower your expectations" when seeing a movie. No one in the "real world" talks like that, only fanboys who have an emotional tie to the material. For the majority of people it is just a movie.

And if you actually think "lowered expectations" can actually make something bad seem good, I've got a manure sandwich for you to chow down on. Just be sure to "lower your expectations" first. :roflmao:

In a similar, but different vein, most everyone I know thinks most movies made from books are not as good as the books. I hear this all the time from people who have read the Narnia books, the Harry Potter books, the Lord of the Ring movies, the Devince Decoded movies, any Steven King movie, etc. It's a given if a book is turned into a movie, the movie won't be as good as the book according to the people who have read the book. Luckily, I haven't read many of the books in question (since I read more comic books), so I don't usually have any expectations for these book to movie translations.

It seems natural to me that people who read comics books would have the same thoughts.

In a similar, but different vein, most everyone I know thinks most movies made from books are not as good as the books. I hear this all the time from people who have read the Narnia books, the Harry Potter books, the Lord of the Ring movies, the Devince Decoded movies, any Steven King movie, etc. It's a given if a book is turned into a movie, the movie won't be as good as the book according to the people who have read the book. Luckily, I haven't read many of the books in question (since I read more comic books), so I don't usually have any expectations for these book to movie translations.

It seems natural to me that people who read comics books would have the same thoughts.

Seriously The Da Vinci Code movies were bloody bores, the books were so much better, I enjoyed the Jonah Hex movie better then those Ron Howard directed snoozer Da Vinci movies.

Costumes do not make the movie, hence we had the worst villain costume of all time in the green goblin and Spider-man 1 was still a great movie.

I'm not sure which movie costume was more craptacular- Green Goblin or Bullseye (I don't read much new stuff, I'm not sure if Bullseye wore that stuff in the comics pre movie- I did see an issue after the movie where he dressed like that)

Do we have one of those little yellow smiley icon guys that vomits? If we do, I'd like to place it here.

Bullseye is an interesting tale. Apparently the director wanted Bullseye to have something close to his traditional comicbook costume in the movie...and it was Joe Quesada who told the director it would look stupid on the big screen and that they should come up with something else. If the EIC ( at the time ) of Marvel has little to no respect for the characters, how can we expect Hollywood to have any? (shrug)

the Devince Decoded movies

Seriously The Da Vinci Code movies were bloody bores, the books were so much better, I enjoyed the Jonah Hex movie better then those Ron Howard directed snoozer Da Vinci movies.

Teaches me right for posting at 5-6AM after an all nighter playing board games with the neighbors. That has to be one of my better misspellings on these boards. I use to be better at these sleepless postings when I was younger. :blush:

I wonder what the Suicide Squid's costume in a live action interpretation would look like. ( :) - for those of you who have been around that long.)