• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never have I been so confused...

15 posts in this topic

....in my collecting focus. When I got back into collecting about five years, my focus was GA only with a major focus on trying to complete runs of every major Nedor title run and am less than 100 books away. But about a year ago, I starting building a set of Marvels SA keys (lacking now only AF 15, Spidey 1 and X-Men 1). Then about three months I bought some higher graded SA DCs and now am trying to complete a decent graded run of Hawkman. And within the last month, I started buying BA Marvel CGC 9.8 books trying to complete some of the shorter title runs from the 70s and am thinking about doing the same with some BA DCs. And to top it all off, I bought two 1980s JLA CGC 9.8 last week.

So yeah, I've either lost my focus entirely or broadened well beyond my intentions. :tonofbricks:

It's maddening .... everyplace I look, there's a book for me. :sick: I need to get this cured before I go totally broke.

Anyone else have similar focus creep issues?

(Excuse me while I go check the sales forum :insane:)

Heck yeah! I started collecting bronze DC when I reentered the hobby. Then I started moving to some bronze FF and Avengers before I finished my superman, batman and flash runs. Then I wanted DC horror and bought a few titles. Now I want GA, but the wallet is screaming Noooo!

:ohnoez:

....in my collecting focus. When I got back into collecting about five years, my focus was GA only with a major focus on trying to complete runs of every major Nedor title run and am less than 100 books away. But about a year ago, I starting building a set of Marvels SA keys (lacking now only AF 15, Spidey 1 and X-Men 1). Then about three months I bought some higher graded SA DCs and now am trying to complete a decent graded run of Hawkman. And within the last month, I started buying BA Marvel CGC 9.8 books trying to complete some of the shorter title runs from the 70s and am thinking about doing the same with some BA DCs. And to top it all off, I bought two 1980s JLA CGC 9.8 last week.

So yeah, I've either lost my focus entirely or broadened well beyond my intentions. :tonofbricks:

It's maddening .... everyplace I look, there's a book for me. :sick: I need to get this cured before I go totally broke.

Welcome to my world. (thumbs u

Now just add GA Superman & Wonder Woman, pulps, magazines, Planets, Wonder Comics, Startling, Ghost Comics, Mary Marvel, Warren magazines and you'll feels as crazy as I do every night of the week :insane:

Seriously, my focus for 2011 is to find a ing focus!

PM sent

Now just add GA Superman & Wonder Woman, pulps, magazines, Planets, Wonder Comics, Startling, Ghost Comics, Mary Marvel, Warren magazines and you'll feels as crazy as I do every night of the week :insane:

Focus is the best thing that ever happened to me. Of course, now I buy nothing, but at least I have focus.

Focus is great. I derive a lot of pleasure deleting my eBay search emails with nothing turning up I am looking for. Greatest feeling there is.

Thanks for reminding me - pulps are ever-so tempting :ohnoez:

Focus is the best thing that ever happened to me. Of course, now I buy nothing, but at least I have focus.

I think that must be the way for me to go.

Thanks for reminding me - pulps are ever-so tempting :ohnoez:

:sorry:

Thats me 100%!!!

I "try" to focus on 1 run but somehow before i know it, i'm working on 20 runs at once AND picking up other random issues. I just went thru the Clink and Pedigree auctions making a list of books i'd "like" to bid on and it's 137 books! :eek:

I've never really had a single specific collecting focus. Books from all Ages, a wide range of publishers, creators and genres, but done on a limited budget. I'm perfectly happy with a reprint, unless it's a book that really means a lot to me and then, if it's feasible, I'll look into buying a HG original.

I should have added how much influence these boards and you knuckleheads :kidaround: have on my collecting interests. Someone posts a cool book or run and I start thinking, that'd be cool to have. I used only visit the GA forum but now I'm in Gold through Bronze and meddling in Copper a bit. The BA brings back many memories as that was my youth and I was buying books fresh off the stands.

I'm still mainly BA and SA, still have resisited the GA pull......I'll fail sooner or later. I did get back into the Mego doll collecting again, but I'm taking my time with those........then my girls showed me what the new Monster High Dolls are going for........now, I have Monster High Dolls in the case meh

I could never buy a random book. I am a set builder and a completionist. Everything must have an order and a purpose to that order. If I could boil it down to one word, it would be homogenization.

That was the biggest reason I eventually, more or less, bailed on the Registry. Books kept being added to sets that had no business being there. Everyday was like playing,

"One of these things is not like the others,

One of these things just doesn't belong,

Can you tell which thing is not like the others

By the time I finish my song? "

It became maddening.

:ohnoez:

I should have added how much influence these boards and you knuckleheads :kidaround: have on my collecting interests. Someone posts a cool book or run and I start thinking, that'd be cool to have. I used only visit the GA forum but now I'm in Gold through Bronze and meddling in Copper a bit. The BA brings back many memories as that was my youth and I was buying books fresh off the stands.

Same for me. The Age I have most connection to, as far as buying back issues goes. Before I joined here I didn't bother looking for original copies from this period at all.