• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need more Midwest Comic/Collectibles Conventions

9 posts in this topic

I'm in the Midwest area and there are plenty of 1 day mini-cons, but not many big shows. I haven't researched the subject, so I don't know if it's a feasible business idea, but I would like to see the guys at Wizard (or anyone with the right connections) bring something bigger to St. Louis, Kansas City, Nebraska, or Iowa - decent size populations here. I've been to a couple of shows in Chicago, and I have really enjoyed it - just want to have some more fun and spend some money on comics all day. If there are any plans in the works please let everyone know, show your support, or add any additional information about upcoming shows.

With the centralized location of St. Louis it should draw the populations from major cities around it - KC, Chicago, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, etc. KC and St. Louis are both bigger than New Orleans and Wizard is bringing a show there later this month. Although the same thing could be argued that the population from major cities in Texas would be drawn to New Orleans, but they are further away than the St. Louis-cities-listed-above distance. There are so many other variables though - I just hope some more shows pop up.

Planet is fairly small compared to other multi-day shows. I haven't seen any major publishers attend yet, CGC hasn't had a booth in the 3 years that I have been, no major auction houses are there. There are no major events/panels - some decent small ones though.

However, there are a large variety of dealers with some high quality items. The artists alley/creator section is pretty good. It will hopefully continue to grow and get better. The admission price is fair also. I would recommend it if you are within a couple of hours.