• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some info about acid free Tape.

25 posts in this topic

Hi, I am sure this was discussed before, but here is a little info about types of tape to seal mylars with if you are interested. thanks, Chris

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your interest in acid-free Scotch® Brand tapes.

The following products have been tested, and meet our stringent "acid-free"

requirements & standards:

Scotch® Acid-Free Double-Stick Adhesive Pen #007

Scotch® Photo & Document Double-Stick/Removable Tape #2002

Scotch® Photo & Document Mending Single-Sided Tape #001

Scotch® Photo & Document Mounting Double Sided Tape #002

Scotch® Conservation & Preservation tape #888

Scotch® Conservation & Preservation Double-Coated Tape #889

The following is a list of 3M products that pass the Photo Activity Test

(PAT) and are safe for attaching photographs, use with art materials,

mending paper, repairing documents, etc.:

Scotch® Photo and Document Mending Tape #001

Scotch® Double-Coated Photo and Document Mounting Tape #002

Scotch® Double-Coated Tapes #136, #137, #237, #665, #666

Scotch® Removable Double-Coated Tape #2002

Scotch® Removable Double-sided tapes #667, #238

Photographic Activity Test (PAT) is an industry-standard test that uses

fading, spotting or staining detectors to evaluate whether enclosure

materials, inks and adhesives are safe to use with silver photographic

images. As of 1997, this test is done on negatives, as well as the fronts

and backs of both color and black & white photographic prints. Products

which pass this test will not damage or change the image on negatives or

photographic prints. 3M has this testing done by an independent laboratory.

Any Scotch® Brand not included on the list above do NOT meet our

stringent requirements & standards necessary to be classified as

"acid-free" by 3M.

The above tapes may be purchased at many stores, including office supply

stores, and arts and craft stores.

We appreciate your interest and use of 3M products.

Sincerely,

Jon

3M Stationery Products Division

1-800-328-6276

www.scotchbrand.com

I was told use acid free tape for the flaps on mylars (mylites, mylites+, mylites 2 etc.) is this not the case? I am still new to the proper storage of comics. I have had my collection in poly bags and cheap boards for like 15 years, I am now trying to switch over my collection to proper methods. any advice would be appreciated.

It's made more for taping photos or artwork to mounting boards. Unfortunately acid free tape that I have used in the past did yellow over time and left tiny amounts of discoloration. Maybe they've improved over the years.

I would use it on comics just because you have the option.

from what I have read it may not matter very much, but if you are going to spend the money on mylar bags(mylites), true acid free boards, Microchamber paper and store them inside acid free boxes..all to keep an acid free storage environment, then why would you use a tape to close the flaps of the mylars that are not acid free. everything I have read recommends that you close the flaps of the mylites.

from what I have read it may not matter very much, but if you are going to spend the money on mylar bags(mylites), true acid free boards, Microchamber paper and store them inside acid free boxes..all to keep an acid free storage environment, then why would you use a tape to close the flaps of the mylars that are not acid free. everything I have read recommends that you close the flaps of the mylites.

I guess the idea is that the tape is on the outside, so the molecules won't have much effect on the book on the inside.

And the funniest thing is that all these pedigree books from the golden and silver age didn't have any backing boards, bags, or anything. They just stored them as is and stacked them up, or filed them in cabinets. And the page quality back then wasn't what it is by today's standards. I'm just wondering why we really need to add to the hazardous chemicals touching our prized books, unless it's truly archival safe?

I believe tape of any kind is a danger to my precious comic books. I don't want it anywhere near my collection. How many times do you have to flirt with disaster pulling a book out of a bag having to pass by "the tape gauntlet" every time before people stop putting tape near their books. Haven't we all been burned at one time or other?

I believe tape of any kind is a danger to my precious comic books. I don't want it anywhere near my collection. How many times do you have to flirt with disaster pulling a book out of a bag having to pass by "the tape gauntlet" every time before people stop putting tape near their books. Haven't we all been burned at one time or other?

Knowing that, why would anyone leave the tape on the bag when they pull the comic out?

Anyone that does deserves to have the tape stick to the front of the comic.

Knowing that, why would anyone leave the tape on the bag when they pull the comic out?

True, but have you ever tried taking tape off mylar? Not pretty.

Edited by Diego Grande

There are tapes that come off easier than others. Try a few different.

If not, just cut the tape and put another piece on it.

The problem can be eliminated 100%. It should never happen.

True, but have you ever tried taking tape off mylar? Not pretty.

Simple solution (especially for valuable books): double-bagging, ...larger, sealed mylar bag on outside; interior mylar bag untaped/unglued. (thumbs u