• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern already being compared to Clash of the Titans!?

58 posts in this topic

I'll wait until there is some more reliable reviews.

Just remember all the talk in this forum when the first pictures of Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight first appeared... (I'm sure you can search to find out many who should have been eating crow)

By the way Nolan has started work on the next one.

Eating crow for what? His excellent portrayal of a character who wasn't recognizable as the Joker? (shrug)

Is it me or does Christpher Nolan, hire a lot of key actors from 10 Things I Hate About You for his movies? You would think Julia Stiles would be cast as Vicki Vale next. lol

Just remember all the talk in this forum when the first pictures of Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight first appeared... (I'm sure you can search to find out many who should have been eating crow)

Eating crow for what? His excellent portrayal of a character who wasn't recognizable as the Joker? (shrug)

A few people were saying he was going to be terrible and the movie would suck just from that picture and that Jack was the best Joker, etc...

A few people were saying he was going to be terrible and the movie would suck just from that picture and that Jack was the best Joker, etc...

I was hoping it wouldn't suck even after seeing the picture, mainly because I liked the first one so much...ah well.

please don't PM the link to showcase22gr1959 or kimik - don't know if they'll be able to survive

Jeez, are those two still hoarding Showcase 22's? Kinda reminds me of the knuckleheaded speculators that cornered the market on Howard the Duck #1's during the run up to its mega-flop.

Just down to the one copy I acquired late last year for a decent price so I am not worried. I sold all of the copies I bought just at the start of the initial run up in 2009 for a nice profit over the past year and a half. (thumbs u

FWIW, I have heard details that contradict this report so time will tell who is right. I still think it will be fun to watch and do well at the box office.

I wonder if this is more of a sign that Blake Lively does not have much acting ability outside of her Gossip Girl role and the agent is doing damage control for a weak performance? I still question why they cast her as Carol Ferris instead of a brunette that had a better big screen track record. (shrug)

Kinda reminds me of the knuckleheaded speculators that cornered the market on Howard the Duck #1's during the run up to its mega-flop.

What? There was a Howard the Duck megaflop?

:ohnoez::cry:

Time to start offloading Howard books for pennies on the dollar.

C'mon that a late 70's book with zillion of copies. The last Howard the Duck #1 in 9.8 sold for over $2K. :o

Oooh, you got me there. I was talking about the speculation up to the Howard movie release in 1986 and the dump afterwards. For many years, before CGC, Howard the Duck issues didn't command that kind of price. Of course, with nostalgia and the mania for 9.8 copies, most any Bronze Marvel first issues will command a high price. But how many Howard speculators back then are saying they made a mint off of the movie bump back in 1986?

If I remember correctly, Howard the Duck was a hot fad almost immediately and ended up following the typical trend for a speculative new book. In other words, hot off the press and then pretty much straight down from there.

I don't believe it had anything at all to do with the movie since that didn't come out until 10 years later in 1986. By then the book was already long gone and dead.

Kinda reminds me of the knuckleheaded speculators that cornered the market on Howard the Duck #1's during the run up to its mega-flop.

C'mon that a late 70's book with zillion of copies. The last Howard the Duck #1 in 9.8 sold for over $2K. :o

Oooh, you got me there. I was talking about the speculation up to the Howard movie release in 1986 and the dump afterwards. For many years, before CGC, Howard the Duck issues didn't command that kind of price. Of course, with nostalgia and the mania for 9.8 copies, most any Bronze Marvel first issues will command a high price. But how many Howard speculators back then are saying they made a mint off of the movie bump back in 1986?

If I remember correctly, Howard the Duck was a hot fad almost immediately and ended up following the typical trend for a speculative new book. In other words, hot off the press and then pretty much straight down from there.

I don't believe it had anything at all to do with the movie since that didn't come out until 10 years later in 1986. By then the book was already long gone and dead.

You may be right. The series was pretty much dead before the movie came out. However some dealers and like-minded collectors I hung out with, were hoping for the movie to jump start the fad again...at least to finally unload on short-term profit taking.

please don't PM the link to showcase22gr1959 or kimik - don't know if they'll be able to survive

Jeez, are those two still hoarding Showcase 22's? Kinda reminds me of the knuckleheaded speculators that cornered the market on Howard the Duck #1's during the run up to its mega-flop.

Just down to the one copy I acquired late last year for a decent price so I am not worried. I sold all of the copies I bought just at the start of the initial run up in 2009 for a nice profit over the past year and a half. (thumbs u

FWIW, I have heard details that contradict this report so time will tell who is right. I still think it will be fun to watch and do well at the box office.

I wonder if this is more of a sign that Blake Lively does not have much acting ability outside of her Gossip Girl role and the agent is doing damage control for a weak performance? I still question why they cast her as Carol Ferris instead of a brunette that had a better big screen track record. (shrug)

I want to quickly add here, hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to chastise what happened with Howard the Duck... however the final word is yet to be written on the GL movie. Both showcase22gr1959 and kimik are two of the most knowledgeable collectors I've met on the forums. If they've been turning a nice profit on GL books, more power to them. (thumbs u

My main concern about the movie is that it might have taken the approach of portraying Hal Jordan as a comical insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If the audience can't take the lead seriously, or cares whether he gets killed, that's a problem. Without that human anchor the audience can relate to, all the orchestrated special effects becomes commotion...and sleep-inducing. Of course I should know better than to judge a movie by watching a trailer. Certainly I don't have a crystal ball and I could be wrong. (shrug)

You may be right. The series was pretty much dead before the movie came out. However some dealers and like-minded collectors I hung out with, were hoping for the movie to jump start the fad again...at least to finally unload on short-term profit taking.

Since this thread has already derailed into matters Howard le Canard, this Don Rosa fanzine cover from Spring 1978 will give a flavour of how the phenomenon was regarded back in the day - well before any movie hype:

CD004638x812.jpg

Sounds like the black and white craze in the mid-80's. Every black and white were hot of the press.

I want to quickly add here, hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to chastise what happened with Howard the Duck... however the final word is yet to be written on the GL movie. Both showcase22gr1959 and kimik are two of the most knowledgeable collectors I've met on the forums. If they've been turning a nice profit on GL books, more power to them. (thumbs u

My main concern about the movie is that it might have taken the approach of portraying Hal Jordan as a comical insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If the audience can't take the lead seriously, or cares whether he gets killed, that's a problem. Without that human anchor the audience can relate to, all the orchestrated special effects becomes commotion...and sleep-inducing. Of course I should know better than to judge a movie by watching a trailer. Certainly I don't have a crystal ball and I could be wrong. (shrug)

Green Lantern has been hot due to his increase popularity and of course the long awaited movie has added more sparks. I have only unloaded a few personal copies and I've been holding very strong on my 5.0+ copies. SC22 supply is scarce. In comparison to AF15, SC22 supply is about 1/4 . So, even if the GL movie bombs, I don't see a very big haircut. I was just fortunate to accumulate most of my copies before he awaken from the ashes.

Since this thread has already derailed into matters Howard le Canard, this Don Rosa fanzine cover from Spring 1978 will give a flavour of how the phenomenon was regarded back in the day - well before any movie hype:

CD004638x812.jpg

That's cool for the discussion and does it mention about how speculative Howard the Duck was?

Their feelings when they actually saw it must have been unenviable.

CD004638x812.jpg

That's cool for the discussion and does it mention about how speculative Howard the Duck was?

Your casual throwaway request made me read something I hadn't in more than 30 years :o

There is no mention of the hype regarding HTD in the mag, the bulk of which is devoted to a "Consumer Advocate" type test of mail order dealers.

Not to further derail (but I will) the loooong article was interesting but, lacking pictures (of comics received in conditions other than ordered), remains a kind of subjective examination of mail order back in the day.

CD004638x812.jpg

I wonder what dealer with the cigar Don Rosa was trying caricature back in 1978?

Who were the big playas back then in the late 1970`s ?

hm

CD004638x812.jpg

I wonder what dealer with the cigar Don Rosa was trying caricature back in 1978?

Who were the big playas back then in the late 1970`s ?

hm

Maybe Rosa was promoting how cool comics are to read and is a great investment for the future. His collection did do well for him when it all sold less than five years ago. Big player hm Robert Crystol was one of the big player then and Mile High was growing exponentially with Chuck getting his hand on the Church collection.

I remember HtD #1's were getting $10-20/copy almost right away, it was a hot book for a time. Not sure what happened as I fell out of collecting for a few decades, but I know it went south.