• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, Marvel Zombies...

46 posts in this topic

A bunch of first SA appearances do not carry more historical weight than JLA and Teen Titans. Both are which are far more relevant DC groups today than the Flash. makepoint.gif

Teen Titans don't even make it into my Top 20 of Silver DC keys. But let's assume a stand-off in the debate between which is more important, Showcase 4 and B&B 28, and just focus on the rest of the keys in these titles. Among 1st tier heroes appearing in Showcase, there are GL and Atom, and the first origin of SA Aquaman. Then the various 2nd to 3rd tier heroes like Metal Men, Spectre, Adam Strange, etc. The only 1st tier hero making his appearance in B&B is Hawkman, and then from #50 on it became a team-up book, so the only first appearance after that was Teen Titans, which is the gathering of a bunch of sidekicks.

A bunch of first SA appearances do not carry more historical weight than JLA and Teen Titans. Both are which are far more relevant DC groups today than the Flash. makepoint.gif

Teen Titans don't even make it into my Top 20 of Silver DC keys. But let's assume a stand-off in the debate between which is more important, Showcase 4 and B&B 28, and just focus on the rest of the keys in these titles. Among 1st tier heroes appearing in Showcase, there are GL and Atom, and the first origin of SA Aquaman. Then the various 2nd to 3rd tier heroes like Metal Men, Spectre, Adam Strange, etc. The only 1st tier hero making his appearance in B&B is Hawkman, and then from #50 on it became a team-up book, so the only first appearance after that was Teen Titans, which is the gathering of a bunch of sidekicks.

Metamorpho is more important than the Metal Men....as for aquaman (who?)...Hawkman cancels out GL and the Teen Titans have a current series and their own cartoon show. See another price shift in this years OS. B&B was the first Batman team up in the DC universe.

Sorry I ain't budgin.

Metamorpho is more important than the Metal Men....as for aquaman (who?)...Hawkman cancels out GL and the Teen Titans have a current series and their own cartoon show. See another price shift in this years OS. B&B was the first Batman team up in the DC universe.

Sorry I ain't budgin.

Where to begin, where to begin? This is fun! grin.gif

Hawkman can't possibly compare to GL, he started later and his own series didn't run nearly as long as GL's.

Metamorpho? Meta-freakin-morpho?!! Sure, I remember him being important enough to get his own series... Not! 893frustrated.gif Did he ever do anything but be a JLA team member? In that case, he's about as important as Red Tornado. Even the Creeper and Hawk & Dove (both Showcase premieres) got their own titles, for crying out loud! Metamorpho can't even stand in the same room as Atom and Aquaman, who had their own long-running titles and are genuine 1st tier heroes. Metal Men, a second tier group, had its own series, so again...

I forgot about B&B being the first Batman team-up... except for all the team-ups he'd been doing in World's Finest Comics since 1941! makepoint.gif

And finally, I don't know whether to laugh or cry that the importance of a comic book character can only be validated by whether he has a cartoon show or movie or some other form of general media cross-over. That my perception of the DC universe or comic collecting would be contingent on the whims of a bunch of totally comic-ignorant TV/movie executives or the tastes of a bunch of 10 year olds is pretty frightening.

P.S.--Did you ever get my question from the "Clash" thread about whether you were into Jimmy Barnes or Cold Chisel?

[

I forgot about B&B being the first Batman team-up... except for all the team-ups he'd been doing in World's Finest Comics since 1941! makepoint.gif

And finally, I don't know whether to laugh or cry that the importance of a comic book character can only be validated by whether he has a cartoon show or movie or some other form of general media cross-over. That my perception of the DC universe or comic collecting would be contingent on the whims of a bunch of totally comic-ignorant TV/movie executives or the tastes of a bunch of 10 year olds is pretty frightening.

P.S.--Did you ever get my question from the "Clash" thread about whether you were into Jimmy Barnes or Cold Chisel?

SA team up...... 893censored-thumb.gif

Without 10 year olds being interested we have no future. sign-rantpost.gif

Loved Cold Chisel (played at one of our school dances), saw them many many many times. Could not stand Jimmy as a solo artist (all he did was scream). foreheadslap.gif

For me, it's a toss-up between completing a set of Firestorm or Blue Devil. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh waitaminute, I can't remember if those are Silver or Golden Age titles.

Lil' help?

tongue.gif

Rick

PS: By the way Rocketeer...you won't be completing a 9.4 CGC set of JLA any time soon; stick with a rare/scarce title like Spidey-pooopies! wink.gif

Agreed! grin.gif

Showcase........versus........Brave & Bold

==========================================

The Flash.......... = ...........JLA

Green Lantern.... > ...........Hawkman

Challengers....... < ...........Teen Titans

The Atom.......... = ...........Metamorpho

Adam Strange.... > ...........Suicide Squad insane.gif

Space Ranger.... > ...........Strange Sports Stories insane.gif

1st 3 issues crazy.gif... < ...........Viking Prince,Robin Hood, Silent Knight, etc.

Dr. Fate/Hourman > ...........Starman/Black Canary

Rip Hunter......... > ...........Cave Carson

Sea Devils

Aquaman

Metal Men

Lois Lane

Tommy Tomorrow

Enemy Ace

The Spectre

The Creeper

Hawk & Dove

Bat Lash

Nightmaster

Firehair

.................................Early non-Batman teamups

.................................Early Neal Adams Batman

.................................Long Running Haney/Aparo Batman teamups

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Showcase (19) > Brave & Bold (7) acclaim.gif

PS: By the way Rocketeer...you won't be completing a 9.4 CGC set of JLA any time soon

C'mon Rick,...be honest,...without revealing which ones you are missing,...how many JLA books under issue #110 are you actually missing under 9.4,....

I'd have to agree with Supa on his choice. To assemble a set of Brave & Bold 28-30 and JLA 1-100 would prove to be a very difficult challenge even if you allowed for purchases of strictly graded NM Raw books to fill in what couldn't be bought (what hasn't even yet been graded a 9.4 by) CGC.

The JLAs seem to have a universal appeal as well (much like the Spiderman issues in Marvel) and I too agree that in time, the right copy of B&B 28 could very well displace the highest graded copy of Showcase 4 in value or at least pull equal to it.

Agreed! grin.gif

Showcase........versus........Brave & Bold

==========================================

The Flash.......... = ...........JLA

Green Lantern.... > ...........Hawkman

Challengers....... < ...........Teen Titans

The Atom.......... = ...........Metamorpho

Adam Strange.... > ...........Suicide Squad insane.gif

Space Ranger.... > ...........Strange Sports Stories insane.gif

1st 3 issues crazy.gif... < ...........Viking Prince,Robin Hood, Silent Knight, etc.

Dr. Fate/Hourman > ...........Starman/Black Canary

Rip Hunter......... > ...........Cave Carson

Sea Devils

Aquaman

Metal Men

Lois Lane

Tommy Tomorrow

Enemy Ace

The Spectre

The Creeper

Hawk & Dove

Bat Lash

Nightmaster

Firehair

.................................Early non-Batman teamups

.................................Early Neal Adams Batman

.................................Long Running Haney/Aparo Batman teamups

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Showcase (19) > Brave & Bold (7) acclaim.gif

POINT MADE!!!!!!! i own just about every B&B and still wouldn't trade my much smaller showcase collection for them. Showcase started "showcasing" super heroes about 3 years sooner and therein lies the advantage IMO.

i do so love the first 24 issues of B&B, however. that old Silent Knight and Viking Prince tandem was awesome.......... thumbsup2.gif

ok - so i'm a little conflicted................

i own just about every B&B and still wouldn't trade my much smaller showcase collection for them. Showcase started "showcasing" super heroes about 3 years sooner and therein lies the advantage IMO.

i do so love the first 24 issues of B&B, however. that old Silent Knight and Viking Prince tandem was awesome.......... thumbsup2.gif

ok - so i'm a little conflicted................

Isn't it great we don't really have to choose, and get to keep them BOTH? cloud9.gif

If I had silly money, More Fun 52-the end would be fun.

And, of course, my 9.6 to 9.8 run of Buzzy, including the 9.9 Buzzy 70. What is it with this book? Such an easy book to find, especially in high grade.

C'mon Rick,...be honest,...without revealing which ones you are missing,...how many JLA books under issue #110 are you actually missing under 9.4,....

Rock', This question is better suited for tth or acesilver...they push harder (normally) for the 9.4s and up. I'm willing to settle (said my wallet) for 9.0-9.2s for the first hundred.

That being said: here's just a few off the top of my head regarding non-existing 9.4 slabs of the "Silver" League:

#3 ---- #4 ---- #6 --- #10 ---- #12.......

And when one of these does finally emerge, I'm sure it'll be available to the public. tongue.gifmakepoint.gifstooges.gif893frustrated.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gif

Rick

Loved Cold Chisel (played at one of our school dances), saw them many many many times. Could not stand Jimmy as a solo artist (all he did was scream). foreheadslap.gif

Hey, we finally agree on something!

If you had this crazy idea to collect one or two DC titles (and you had Capt. Tripps type cash to do it with), what would it be and why?

Action and Detective because they introduced the two greatest DC characters. Plus they both begin in the Golden Age. Although I'm not sure that even the types of $ Tripps and Brulato have spent would be enough to buy a HG type run of those titles.

For Silver I'd go with Showcase and B&B. Although I won't debate the points why like tth2 & mushroom. grin.gif

whatever, sleeping.gif go back to playing with your WW comics. blush.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif PFFFTTT....I could put together a NM run of JLA 1-110 in less than a year.....put the bong down and clear your head for a moment

With due respect Rocketeer, I've been at this now for close to 4 years and I'm ONLY at 62% for the first 1-50 I'm after in NM. So lay off the pipe man! insane.gif

Showcase because it has all those 1st app. Including Creeper, hawk and Dove 2 of my fav obscure characters, as well as the GA/SA Green Lantern story, and I mean #4 with that awesome orange cover cloud9.gif

And Rip Hunter Time Master - just always loved that title.

I would have to agree with everyone that JLA is not easy to do in 9.4 or better. On the other hand I'm suprised no one has mentioned that they would put together a run of Green Lantern. Cool covers and a great comic past that is still going strong today.

Eric