• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Inc offers on-site pressing in conjunction w/CGC on-site grading

414 posts in this topic

I also still think that pressing is some form of restoration

i disagree, but i do have to listen pretty hard to someone who types in purple. if some gold gets thrown in there, i may become a convert.

twinkling-star.gif Pressing is not restoration. twinkling-star.gif

I prefer to call it Beautification. :cloud9:

i disagree, but i do have to listen pretty hard to someone who types in purple. if some gold gets thrown in there, i may become a convert.

....and....we're off!

....and....we're off!

I hope so. The dirty old man in the retirement home gets more action than this place has lately.

Hate to say it but the best thing in this thread is this lovely twinkling-star gif.

:cloud9:

Hate to say it but the best thing in this thread is this lovely twinkling-star gif.

:cloud9:

I thought they were tumbleweeds. :eek:

It is for me. :cloud9:

It is to me. :cloud9:

Of course it is... to you.

I decided to read another "pressing thread"......I think my eyes are bleeding. I just have never been able to pull the trigger and "press one" yet.....alot of candidates, but just haven't as of yet. The thought of "press and slab" side by side at a Con is a sign the hobby continues to evolve......or devolve depending on the side of the fence that one finds themselves. This board continues to be a decent barometer as to the forward thinking/resistance that is alive in the hobby, and the fact that CGC does not consider it resto makes the argument of......conform or be left behind has the pro pressers forging ahead and CGC's stance is no doubt the cornerstone in their foundation. Seems a niche may be forming...or already has, which was similar to the raw vs slabbed from years ago. Some who may be totally against pressing may one day conform and become pro presser or at least accept it as status quo. However, some will l just get the hell out of the hobby or press on in ways they are comforatable doing. Peace-CC. hm

I decided to read another "pressing thread"......I think my eyes are bleeding. I just have never been able to pull the trigger and "press one" yet.....alot of candidates, but just haven't as of yet. The thought of "press and slab" side by side at a Con is a sign the hobby continues to evolve......or devolve depending on the side of the fence that one finds themselves. This board continues to be a decent barometer as to the forward thinking/resistance that is alive in the hobby, and the fact that CGC does not consider it resto makes the argument of......conform or be left behind has the pro pressers forging ahead and CGC's stance is no doubt the cornerstone in their foundation. Seems a niche may be forming...or already has, which was similar to the raw vs slabbed from years ago. Some who may be totally against pressing may one day conform and become pro presser or at least accept it as status quo. However, some will l just get the hell out of the hobby or press on in ways they are comforatable doing. Peace-CC. hm

please let it be the ones that seem to beat me out of virtually anything i bid on in a h'tage signature auction. i can win g.a. books on c'link, but have a dismal record lately on h'tage.

Thank you Resurrection.

Res has multiple posts for Joey. Do you two live together? lol

Sharon is a woman scorned.

Anyone else care to contribute? Anyone?

Let me repeat the questions:

If Joey had as much business as Classics, would he take as long? Would he charge as much?

Joey, are you willing and able to answer this question?

Help!

If pressing were my only job I can answer without hesitation and reservation that I would be considerably faster than Matt in not only getting books done but delivered to CGC. You could have figured that out yourself to a degree based on geography alone.

The rates? I can only assume rates will go up based on level of expertise, etc but would they approach Matts prices. Not anytime soon. I don't price myself out of getting work. Not with the tanking Bronze and Moderns have taken.

Actually, I can press books in a day if I wanted to. I assume Joey can too, so the truth is neither one is faster than the other. But can Joey press any defect out in a day? There are no stipulations for me. You give me a GD+ Golden Age books with a spine roll or a 9.6 modern, and both will be fully pressed in 24 hours.

As far as fees go, Joey does not charge more to get them done faster, but this may have to do with his workload. If he was as busy as me, then maybe he would. And my prices have actually decreased over the years. Joey's pricing structure appeals to the cheaper and more current books, and that's fine. I do all that, but my main focus has always been on the vintage material, no matter the grade or value.

As far as getting them to CGC, I can overnight the books there, so really that's moot. Plus I don't have to spend a day going there and back, which gives me more time to get books done. Efficiency is the key here.

The big issue that no one seems to be addressing is results. Of the three factors here...time, cost, and results, this is by far the most important. What good is saving a few bucks or a few days on pressing if you may get lower grades and less value?

Thank you Resurrection.

If Joey had as much business as Classics, would he take as long? Would he charge as much?

Help!

If pressing were my only job I can answer without hesitation and reservation that I would be considerably faster than Matt in not only getting books done but delivered to CGC. You could have figured that out yourself to a degree based on geography alone.

The rates? I can only assume rates will go up based on level of expertise, etc but would they approach Matts prices. Not anytime soon. I don't price myself out of getting work. Not with the tanking Bronze and Moderns have taken.

Actually, I can press books in a day if I wanted to. I assume Joey can too, so the truth is neither one is faster than the other. But can Joey press any defect out in a day? There are no stipulations for me. You give me a GD+ Golden Age books with a spine roll or a 9.6 modern, and both will be fully pressed in 24 hours.

As far as fees go, Joey does not charge more to get them done faster, but this may have to do with his workload. If he was as busy as me, then maybe he would. And my prices have actually decreased over the years. Joey's pricing structure appeals to the cheaper and more current books, and that's fine. I do all that, but my main focus has always been on the vintage material, no matter the grade or value.

As far as getting them to CGC, I can overnight the books there, so really that's moot. Plus I don't have to spend a day going there and back, which gives me more time to get books done. Efficiency is the key here.

The big issue that no one seems to be addressing is results. Of the three factors here...time, cost, and results, this is by far the most important. What good is saving a few bucks or a few days on pressing if you may get lower grades and less value?

Are you insinuating that Joey doesn't produce results?

Some already have. :makepoint:

Thank you Resurrection.

Help!

Are you insinuating that Joey doesn't produce results?

I may be wrong but I think he is saying he can get better results.

Your posts were replaced--nothing insidious taking place.... just pruning some of the "shilly" goodness from this thread (thumbs u

From memory, that means that either Sha or presstoman is a shill, as nobody else was quoted? (shrug)

No. There was another_in_a_long_line of shills_that_are easy to_spot_if_you see the tells.