• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Inc offers on-site pressing in conjunction w/CGC on-site grading

414 posts in this topic

True story and I'm pretty close with both Matt and Joey...

A good friend of mine purchased an Uncanny X-Men 120 9.6 he bought from SOT. He showed the book to Matt and Matt told him that it could not be pressed to a higher grade and he bought if for between $200-$300. One day whil;e moving the books around he accidentally dropped it and cracked the slab. Since he had to reslab it anyways, he figured he would ask Joey to press it for him. It came back a 9.8 and I sold it in excess of $2000.

Moral of the story, nobody is perfect and they are both the ABSOLUTE best in the game. Nuff said :sumo:

"Jazzy" Jim

What amazes me about this story is that a common book from 1979 can be worth

in excess of 2,000 .

A good friend of mine purchased an Uncanny X-Men 120 9.6 he bought from SOT. He showed the book to Matt and Matt told him that it could not be pressed to a higher grade and he bought if for between $200-$300. One day whil;e moving the books around he accidentally dropped it and cracked the slab. Since he had to reslab it anyways, he figured he would ask Joey to press it for him. It came back a 9.8 and I sold it in excess of $2000.

Moral of the story, nobody is perfect and they are both the ABSOLUTE best in the game. Nuff said :sumo:

"Jazzy" Jim

in excess of 2,000 .

+1, but that means they aren't bringing that kind of money to what I'm collecting which is fine by me. Sounds like a pre-2008 price also.

"Jazzy" Jim

in excess of 2,000 .

+1, but that means they aren't bringing that kind of money to what I'm collecting which is fine by me. Sounds like a pre-2008 price also.

The last sale in 2009 was $2100. The book still brought $1300 in 2010 in 9.8. Pretty good for a common Bronze book.

While I can understand a business not wanting to give away their 'trade secrets' I think I'd want to know what was being done to my book, especially if it was something expensive.

And this applies to anybody who was doing the pressing.

No kidding. If I brought my car into a body shop for some work, an answer of "we won't tell you how we're fixing your car" would be unacceptable. There really isn't that much of a mystery behind it. Obviously, practice and experience builds up skills and refinements to what you are doing. But every presser wants to act like they have developed some sort of proprietary secret understanding of how the process works. A secret that once out would make them totally irrelevant. If you really think anybody with a press can do what you do then what you're offering doesn't have much value.

The last sale in 2009 was $2100. The book still brought $1300 in 2010 in 9.8. Pretty good for a common Bronze book.

Pretty good, indeed! Especially one that has dozens of 9.6s and 9.8s in the census

It currently has 14 9.8s out of 681 books submitted, so it's still a fairly difficult book in grade. There are 80 9.6s and 148 9.4s. Being the first Alpha Flight also makes it a semi-key.

Pretty good, indeed! Especially one that has dozens of 9.6s and 9.8s in the census

It currently has 14 9.8s out of 681 books submitted, so it's still a fairly difficult book in grade. There are 80 9.6s and 148 9.4s. Being the first Alpha Flight also makes it a semi-key.

Yeah, I know. It's just hard to think of books like that in the $1000+ price range when I remember how common they were when they came out.

In order for CGC to consider Matt's service as "not restoration" CGC must therefore know what Matt is actually doing. It would be an ugly scene if Matt was using steam or something other than an actual force of applied pressure and CGC was found to be aware of it. Its going to come out eventually, mabye and perhaps by it being a top secret procedure, it also is protecting CGC. Steamed and Pressed, is not Pressed.

In order for CGC to consider Matt's service as "not restoration" CGC must therefore know what Matt is actually doing. It would be an ugly scene if Matt was using steam or something other than an actual force of applied pressure and CGC was found to be aware of it. Its going to come out eventually, mabye and perhaps by it being a top secret procedure, it also is protecting CGC. Steamed and Pressed, is not Pressed.

It's not that top secret, but just as CGC isn't going to be setup in the middle of the convention floor slabbing books, neither will Matt or Joey be setup pressing books.

Besides, it's not all that interesting. It's not like standing in front of the window at the Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen and watching them pull taffy.

"Jazzy" Jim

Isn't the moral of that story that one person could do something that another claimed couldn't be done?

I've had Matt look at books and say they can't be improved but I've had him do it anyway and some have come back with the upgrade I wanted. I think Matt is a bit conservative with his estimates at times. It seems a pretty reasonable means of doing business.

I still haven't used Joey but I probebaly will sometime when I get enough stuff together,

and last but not least. The treatment of an online "friend" of mine here on these boards. Skypinkblu.

I've made the exact same decision based on my discussions with the same on-line friend. It is a small hobby and word gets around.

For the record I just sent in my first batch of books to be pressed to Joey.

Actually, I can press books in a day if I wanted to. I assume Joey can too, so the truth is neither one is faster than the other. But can Joey press any defect out in a day? There are no stipulations for me. You give me a GD+ Golden Age books with a spine roll or a 9.6 modern, and both will be fully pressed in 24 hours.

As far as fees go, Joey does not charge more to get them done faster, but this may have to do with his workload. If he was as busy as me, then maybe he would. And my prices have actually decreased over the years. Joey's pricing structure appeals to the cheaper and more current books, and that's fine. I do all that, but my main focus has always been on the vintage material, no matter the grade or value.

As far as getting them to CGC, I can overnight the books there, so really that's moot. Plus I don't have to spend a day going there and back, which gives me more time to get books done. Efficiency is the key here.

The big issue that no one seems to be addressing is results. Of the three factors here...time, cost, and results, this is by far the most important. What good is saving a few bucks or a few days on pressing if you may get lower grades and less value?

The big issue is you've been caught shilling auctions on eBay. Twice. That's made the question of whether your results are superior irrelevant, at least to those people whose moral compasses are wound reasonably tightly.

I dont care what the price difference is. Ethically you are head and shoulders above Nelson. I am sure Spectre52 auctions are still being shilled. (thumbs u

They are using the 'ritters' account to sell on eBay now. They stopped using spectre52 almost a year ago. ( hm wonder why...? lol )

this should finally shove the arizona shootings off the front page.

Won't that be great....? An unscrupulous business practice story to pick up the torch where Madoff, Tourre, and Rajaratnam left off..... :P

Actually since I rent space to Matt at shows I am going to have Joey on the other end. I'm providing one stop shopping. Buy the raw material and you can shop with whoever has the smaller line.

BTW my new company name is Quickpressno's

Anybody who badmouth's my new company in this thread let them be warned that I have an attorney on retainer to SLAPP them with a lawsuit.

:hi: