• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard Magazine To Close Immediately

127 posts in this topic

I was never interested in Wizard anyway. It dealt with the latest, hottest comics but my interest is basically Atom Age to Bronze Age. The magazine I waited for on newstands was Gary Carter's Comic Book Marketplace.

CBG I liked best when it was a two section newspaper folded one inside the other. It was still fine as a tabloid though but finding it was an ongoing problem after a big magazine store in downtown Toronto closed its doors in the late nineties. Most comic shops didn't like to carry it because they didn't like the ads competitors ran within the pages of CBG.

:blahblah:

It looks like today they also announced the new digital magazine:

http://www.conventionscene.com/2011/01/24/wizard-world-now-a-company-a-tour-and-an-online-magazine/

lol, right after they canned everyone and shut down the freelance department - I can hardly wait to read it. :roflmao:

BTW, when Shamus announced that Wizard was losing the Price Guide portion of the magazine, I knew it was toast - fanboys *love* to read about how their latest edition of "Modern Crepe #1" is going up every month.

On the money. It was a cost cutting measure - and an obviously drastic and desperate one. The other harbinger of doom was the abrupt format changes to the articles and magazine structure.

I wonder if this will make all the Wizard promo cards from the 90`s worth more --

:insane:

I still have my limited-edition gold foil Ninjak card from them. I think I paid like $25 for it back in high school in the 90s. Super-rare, collector's item. I should be able to make a mint reselling in now right since Wizard is gone pretty much.

I used to buy Wizard once in a while, back in 90s. It was the best way for me to see some of the current comic values, before the internet. Over the past few years, I would still pick one up sometimes, if I happened to see it in a store. I was surprised in recent years that the price guide part was so small, with so few comics listed. They never had a "LOT", but it was even smaller than before.

That is a shame that they won't be printing the magazine anymore, but I can certainly understand that a print copy is probably no longer turning a profit.

Hi, anyone know what will happen to those who bought a 1 or 2 year subscription a while ago, which has not run out yet? I have a two year subscription that would have run out in April or May of 2011. I estimate that I will not be getting approximately 3-5 issues that I have already paid for. Do I have any recourse? I know it's not a lot of money, but it's still my money. Thanks.

Hi, anyone know what will happen to those who bought a 1 or 2 year subscription a while ago, which has not run out yet? I have a two year subscription that would have run out in April or May of 2011. I estimate that I will not be getting approximately 3-5 issues that I have already paid for. Do I have any recourse? I know it's not a lot of money, but it's still my money. Thanks.

:roflmao:

Somebody found an old shill account! Registered in 2004 with only 10 posts...