• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard Magazine To Close Immediately

127 posts in this topic

From Bleeding Cool:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/24/wizard-magazine-to-close-immediately/

Now this is an end of an era.

I am receiving multiple confirmations from across the industry, through none yet from Wizard’s higher ups and PR people yet, that Wizard: The Guide To Comics, the magazine that covered the mainstream comics industry for twenty years and created all manner of careers in the process has closed, effective immediately. Or at least the print version has.

Almost all Wizard magazine staff have been laid off, and all freelance engagements cancelled.

Sister magazine Toyfare, covering the toy market, has not been affected, nor have the Wizard comic conventions.

Created by Gareb Shamus and Stephen Shamus in 1991, the magazine carved a niche for itself covering the most commercial comics in the most aggressive fashion. At one point it regularly sold more than the comics it covered. But sales have declined of late, as the internet has grown in prominence and favour for this kind of news. For many Wizard is no longer the news breaker and agenda setter of the comics industry it once was. And people still have issues with the tone it has taken over the years. Even though it’s arguable that the last couple of years have seen some of the best Wizard content since it started.

But right now it’s time to bury that pointy hat…

i havent bought a copy in about 20 years, but it was the sh*t back in the day!

[font:Comic Sans MS]Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/font]

D

U

N

[font:Fixedsys]DONE....SON[/font]!!!!!!!!

:tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:

I find it somewhat ironic that this news was posted by PeasOfCrap.

lol

On a serious note, it's another small signpost along the road to the end of the hobby. To me it's a bad sign that we can no longer support a monthly comics magazine.

CBG? Similar story. It's no more substantial than Wizard had been the last couple of years, its page count having diminished dramatically.

I remember reading issues of Wizard in the early 90s as I really got into comic collecting. Before the internet it was really the only way a kid like me was able to find out what was going on in the hobby as a whole.

I haven't read one in years, but it's still sad to see them go. I feel bad for all of the people who are hitting the unemployment office today too...

This is too bad. I never thought it was that bad a mag. Are there any other better comic industry news mags out there?

I find it somewhat ironic that this news was posted by PeasOfCrap.

lol

On a serious note, it's another small signpost along the road to the end of the hobby. To me it's a bad sign that we can no longer support a monthly comics magazine.

CBG? Similar story. It's no more substantial than Wizard had been the last couple of years, its page count having diminished dramatically.

I don't think its a bad sign of our hobby. The content Wizard was publishing was already old news by the time it it the stands. There are soo many on-line websites dedicated to breaking comic news.

>>I don't think its a bad sign of our hobby. The content Wizard was publishing was already old news by the time it it the stands. There are soo many on-line websites dedicated to breaking comic news. <<

Same thing CBG. I plan on letting by subscription finally run out.

>>Funny they just sent me a subcription re-up notice . I had already threw it in the garbage before I read this but suprising since I just got that in the mail last week.<<

Dig it out. Could be a collector's item.