• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to Dallas .... where to go ?

18 posts in this topic

Hey boardies,

I have a quick 3 day trip to Dallas just before Superbowl.

Staying at the Ritz Carlton 2121 McKinney Avenue.

Looking for:

Good comic shop ...

Good pub ......

Amazing burger ....

amazing pizza ........

I am there for work but will not have a rental car ......

Thoughts ????

If you're into conspiracy theory stuff, go see the grassy knoll where one of the bullets that killed JFK came from. It's really neat and a lot smaller than you think. It's cool to see all the writing on the back of the fence.

If you have time, there's also a conspiracy museum that's open during normal working hours for a couple bucks.

Good restaurants down there too!

Most of the comic shops in the Metroplex are owned by Buddy Saunders (Lone Star Comics). Lone Star is pretty much a full service shop (gaming, books, comics, anime and action figures), but there are other comic shops around if you have the time to look.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/ourstores

As for pubs and good food, I'd recommend BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse. Lots of great brews to choose from (I'd recommend checking out their porter) and great pizza and burgers (dependent upon your definition of amazing).

http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/

Good hunting! (thumbs u

My advice is to steer clear of deep ellum at night. Crime was really bad there a couple of years ago and most of the night life seems to have left. Uptown is probably where you want to be.

If you like a good stiff drink, I'd recommend the Loon Bar at Lemmon and McKinney in Uptown. It's a place for the cool kids, but it still manages to keep a laid back atmosphere. Cute girls all over the place too. Some of the Mavs players have been known to stop in for a drink after games. But be warned, the mixed drinks are extremely strong, so if you want to be able to walk out after more than two, stick to beer (nothing on tap, all cans :cloud9:)

If you're looking for more of a pub, try the Idle Rich on McKinney Ave. or the Ginger Man - both have impressive draught selections. Ginger Man is a late 20s up to early 40s crowd; Idle Rich will be mostly SMU coeds (thumbs u

As for food, my burger recommendation is the Angry Dog (www.angrydog.com) in deep ellum. As I said, deep ellum has a reputation for not being so safe, so go for lunch. If you want pizza, I'd go to Grimaldi's in the Uptown Village (walking distance from the Loon).

As for comic shops, David is right - Lone Star is the big player in town. I've got a local guy close to me (I'm a few miles north of downtown), but he's not much to write home about. I've heard Titan Comics on NW Hwy is a decent place to shop, but I haven't been over there myself (www.titancomics.com)

Feel free to PM if you want any other recommendations!

I've heard Titan Comics on NW Hwy is a decent place to shop, but I haven't been over there myself (www.titancomics.com)

:thumbsup:

Jeremy runs a good shop... lots of back issues from all eras, not just the last 10 years.

I would recommend going to Duncanville Bookstore too but that might be out of your travel area. Andy has really started growing his stock of silver and bronze book over the past couple of years.

If you want to kill time you can always check out the Federal Reserve Bank; it's right next door to your hotel. They offer tours. Also, right across the highway are a couple of top-notch art museums. And there's always the Dallas World Aquarium (largest privately owned zoo in the country, maybe world); the last time I was there it was really good.

My advice is to steer clear of deep ellum at night. Crime was really bad there a couple of years ago and most of the night life seems to have left. Uptown is probably where you want to be.

I had no idea. When I lived in Texas about a decade ago, Deep Ellum was thriving. I wonder what happened since then?

I had no idea. When I lived in Texas about a decade ago, Deep Ellum was thriving. I wonder what happened since then?

I think things just shift as new areas get developed... before Deep Ellum was popular, the West End was the place to be. Uptown is where all of the development is now.

To the OP, if you're looking for some fancier places, the W Hotel has a Ghost Bar and is just north of downtown. There's a ton of high-end restaurants around too - I can make a couple of recommendations if you want to go that route.

• Administrator

lol I am a fan of the restaurant... ;) (thumbs u

Went when I was in Dallas several years ago with work, then to Blind Lemon in Deep Ellum after (though I read above it's not as it was...)

True story from D's at the last SDCC....I got a hat that read "passed around more than the church collection plate" and one of my co-diners thought it meant Edgar Church and didn't get it.... lol

lol I am a fan of the restaurant... ;) (thumbs u

Went when I was in Dallas several years ago with work, then to Blind Lemon in Deep Ellum after (though I read above it's not as it was...)

True story from D's at the last SDCC....I got a hat that read "passed around more than the church collection plate" and one of my co-diners thought it meant Edgar Church and didn't get it.... lol

lol comic book nerds... :cloud9:

Titan is the place, but the dude is a bit odd :screwy: Don't let that deprive you of a good experience. He seems to always have new stuff that he hasn't priced at the counter. hm

I've heard Titan Comics on NW Hwy is a decent place to shop, but I haven't been over there myself (www.titancomics.com)

Jeremy runs a good shop... lots of back issues from all eras, not just the last 10 years.

I would recommend going to Duncanville Bookstore too but that might be out of your travel area. Andy has really started growing his stock of silver and bronze book over the past couple of years.

If you want to kill time you can always check out the Federal Reserve Bank; it's right next door to your hotel. They offer tours. Also, right across the highway are a couple of top-notch art museums. And there's always the Dallas World Aquarium (largest privately owned zoo in the country, maybe world); the last time I was there it was really good.

Back when I lived in the area I always enjoyed Madness Comics for moderns, though the prices can be steep. they've really bumped up their modern back issues.I've heard that Zeus Comics is also a nice shop. I'm not sure which of the Lone Stars is the "main" location (arlington?), but that'd be the one I would go to. Some of their shops are pretty tiny.

Back when I lived in the area I always enjoyed Madness Comics for moderns, though the prices can be steep. they've really bumped up their modern back issues.I've heard that Zeus Comics is also a nice shop. I'm not sure which of the Lone Stars is the "main" location (arlington?), but that'd be the one I would go to. Some of their shops are pretty tiny.

The only Lone Star worth going to is the main store in Arlington (on Abrams). The rest are more like comic book 7-11s.

Madness is ok but not really big on back issues. Zeus is kind of the same way. They have a lot of stuff but very little of anything pre-'80s.

Titan is the place, but the dude is a bit odd :screwy: Don't let that deprive you of a good experience. He seems to always have new stuff that he hasn't priced at the counter. hm

Jeremy is a bit odd (like most people who spend all day long dealing with comic book collectors) but he's a nice guy. He keeps all of the good stuff in the black lockers behind the counter. He has photocopies of the covers filed in the boxes with the grade and a note that it is at the front. Don't feel shy about asking for stuff because he has a ton of books (100+ long boxes) and has a good record of what he has in stock.

His prices are a bit aggressive and he prices the "good stuff" at a % of guide (noted on the back of the bag). He will negotiate on the prices a little (or a lot if you're buying a decent amount). His grading is consistent but he doesn't follow CGC standards; more like Overstreet.